Quantcast

PreCentral: App Review: Picross

Picross Squirell

What do you get when you combine Minesweeper, logic puzzles and pictures together? The answer is

link hidden, please login to view
, a fun and addictive game by PenduinBits that challenges you to solve picture puzzles (or picture crosswords, as the app name indicates) on an 8x8 grid solely using number clues that indicate how many blocks you need to fill in on a given row or column of the grid.  For $0.99, you get 384 puzzles split between Easy, Medium and Hard levels, and even a Builder feature that lets you create up to 64 more of your own custom puzzles. And with a minimum webOS requirement of only webOS 1.4.5, one purchase will work on all your webOS devices from the original Pre or Pixi to the newer Pre3 or TouchPad.

mf.gif

a2t.img5jGKp34FjNY

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Alex
      In government offices, a projector’s ability to display information clearly in large team settings makes it an effective tool for boosting collaboration while promoting safe social distancing.
      In hybrid work environments, this technology can make the difference between effective and ineffective collaboration by providing an easy-to-see snapshot of data, no matter where
      the viewer sits.
      The LG ProBeam is a powerful, user-friendly projector, generating some of the most accurate images I’ve seen in years.
      The LG ProBeam Delivers Crisp Images 
      Measuring 14.6x12.8x6.1 inches and weighing about 21 pounds, this 4K laser projector is surprisingly compact, powered by a 5000-lumen lamp that makes it ideal for agency environments, especially compared with other projectors capable of producing images as large as 120 inches.
      A consumer-grade device, the LG ProBeam delivers professional-level projection capable of rendering 3840x2160 4K ultrahigh-definition images. It can project 8.3 million pixels at a native aspect ratio of 16:9, which makes the ProBeam an incredibly sharp projector with color accuracy on par with agency needs.
      I mounted the ProBeam in large, medium and small rooms while measuring the lumens emitted at various distances and image sizes. At each stage, the projector’s light was powerful enough that images were visible up to 30 feet away.
      Images were rendered accurately, with fine details that would be useful for educational initiatives and with the realism needed for detailed maps and military logistical information.
      View Content Easily with the LG ProBeam
      It was easy to set up and share from the LG ProBeam, thanks to wireless screen mirroring designed for streaming output from mobile devices, which eliminates the need for an extra physical connection. WebOS 4.5, the standard in LG smart TV platforms since 2013, also provides native web browsing capabilities.
      As presenters who frequently use projectors know, onboard speakers are often so flawed that they are arguably unusable. The LG has two integrated 5-watt speakers and Bluetooth capability that boosts wireless audio signals to a separate stereo system for improved sound quality.
      Agencies can enhance their collaboration capabilities with the LG ProBeam, a versatile and compact 5000-lumen laser projector that provides a high-resolution 4K display viewable in nearly any lighting.
      Performance Meets Convenience in the LG ProBeam
      Aside from its great image quality, perhaps the best characteristic of the LG ProBeam is the array of added features that make it by far the brightest object in a conference room.
      Starting with a 12-point keystone picture adjustment, the ProBeam empowers audiovisual engineers to tailor every display to the demands of the room and the agency. Further, keystone operations are easy and intuitive to perform on both the physical unit and the remote control.
      The detailed keystone adjustment, coupled with the extreme brightness capability of the device, lets agency users project a minimum screen size of 40 inches and a maximum of 300 inches (about 25 feet).
      With a 1.6X zoom feature, engineers can easily show presenters how to immediately project a 60 percent larger image without moving or readjusting the projector. That means users can take a 100-inch projection and switch it to a 160-inch display in seconds, if needed.
      Adding to the ease of operation is the simple-to-use wireless connectivity for screen mirroring, which makes for quick work by engineers during a live event. Wireless connection is possible with any Android device; USB or HDMI ports are available for wired connections.
      Laser projection technology also helps users manage long-term costs by minimizing bulb outages that interrupt operations and require expensive replacements.
      The LG ProBeam can provide 20,000 hours of lamp life, with far less dimming evident over the life of the projector compared with bulb-based models. It also makes projections bright enough for well-lit rooms or meeting areas without closing the curtains or turning off lights.
      Integrated Bluetooth audio capability solves a long-standing issue that audiovisual engineers often grapple with: a receiver that drives good sound quality. Because the ProBeam not only provides good native sound but can also send a signal to an in-room speaker system, it’s ideal for use in dedicated conference rooms and small huddle spaces.
      Having a projector that is functional in almost any lighting condition and that does not require any special training — even to access advanced features — is one of the main reasons why the LG ProBeam is great for government. Government employees can concentrate on their presentations and not worry about the gear they are using to share their information.
      Source: 
    • By Alex
      KEY FEATURES
      4K resolution 65-inch OLED panel HDR formats: HDR10, Dolby Vision, HLG, Technicolor 4.2 channel, 80W sound system 4 x HDMI Manufacturer: LG Review Price: £6,999.00 WHAT IS THE LG OLED65G7V?
      LG doesn’t hand out its ‘Signature’ badge very often. That’s because it’s reserved for VIPs: the best tech the company can muster. Last year, only the LG G6 OLED TV achieved Signature status.
      Now we have its successor, the LG G7 (full name, LG OLED65G7V). And while it’s no longer the only TV to get a Signature badge this year – the wallpaper-thin 
      link hidden, please login to view shares the honour – the G7 boasts a much-improved picture performance. Let’s be up-front about this – this is the luxury option. This is LG showing off and making a statement, and so it comes with an proportionately large price tag.
      If you want this picture quality, but you don’t want the price, consider other 2017 LG OLED TVs, which offer more humble aesthetics. The  and , for instance, retail for £4499 at 65 inches.
      So why might you want to pay an extra £2500 for the LG G7? It boils down to a really fancy design with an integrated and foldable sound base. That won't be enough to justify it for most people, but buyers who want the absolute pinnacle of LG design won't be disappointed.

LG OLED65G7V – DESIGN
      The LG OLED65G7V is easily one of the most beautiful TVs I’ve ever reviewed.
      That’s quite an achievement for a recycled design – I say that because at a glance the G7 OLED looks identical to the G6, and it appears the only thing that has changed is the panel technology. That’s no bad thing, because the G6’s design was so nice that I welcome the chance to see it again.
      The most striking thing here is the ‘Picture-on-Glass’ concept, which is exactly what it sounds like: a super-thin OLED panel mounted on a sheet of glass. I took the various cards out of my wallet and found the TV is roughly the thickness of seven cards. That's pretty amazing.

There is a thicker protrusion towards the bottom, but here it’s a lot less pronounced than on LG’s other OLED TVs. That’s because most of the electronics are housed in the chunky speaker base stand.
      There you’ll find all the connections (four HDMI, three USB) along with a 4.2 channel, 80W sound system. If you want to keep the ultra-slim design uninterrupted, and wall-mount it, the whole assembly folds back on a hinge and tucks behind the screen.
      If you think that’s over the top but you still want the perks of picture-on-glass, the LG E7 sports a similar design, minus the folding sound base, for less. Check out our  for more.

LG OLED65G7V – FEATURES
      LG tells me the design and audio elements are the only things that differentiate its 2017 OLED models. They’re all equipped with same panel, the same chip, processing and filters. That means you get the same picture whether you get the more affordable B7 and C7 models or go the whole hog and buy a W7.
      So, this is what you get if you buy an 2017 LG OLED TV. First off, there's a 10-bit OLED panel with a 4K/Ultra HD resolution (3840 × 2160 pixels). It’s flat, because LG reckons there is no longer any demand for curved screens. I'm sure Samsung would have something to say about that. LG also feels there’s no need to offer 3D anymore, so that’s gone too.
      What LG does support is HDR. The 2017 OLED models are compatible with every single format of high dynamic range that we know about: the common HDR10, the metadata-heavy , the broadcast-friendly  (HLG), and even Technicolor’s version that nobody knows anything about yet. No other manufacturer has gone this far when it comes to HDR futureproofing.
      Related: 
      It’s just as well, because this year’s OLED panel is more equipped to handle the demands of HDR, because it’s brighter. LG claims it’s about 20-30% brighter and close to 1000 nits. In practice, we’re looking at about 750 nits if you don’t use the exaggerated HDR Vivid mode – still a clear step up from last year and comfortably ticks all the boxes required for UHD Premium certification.

On the software side, the G7 runs on version 3.5 of LG’s excellent webOS interface. LG was the first to come up with a truly modern smart TV experience, and webOS remains the best on the market. There’s a handy launcher bar, which lets you look at your apps without making you quit what you’re currently watching. There’s a multi-tasking feature, which lets you jump between apps and inputs as easily as you might change TV channels. There’s a mouse-like cursor on the screen, controlled by a motion-sensitive remote.
      Version 3.5 of webOS doesn’t rock the boat, but it does have some nice additions. You can now map your favourite apps to numbers on the remote – Netflix on speed dial, essentially. It’s also now compatible with 360-degree video clips. App support is generous and offers all the essentials: Netflix, Amazon Video, NOW TV, YouTube, BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4 and Demand 5.
      LG’s Magic Remote makes a welcome return. This is one of the most user-friendly TV remotes out there. It has a full number keypad and a scroll wheel, on top of the motion-sensors I’ve mentioned already. There’s also a standard directional pad for those who don’t like to wave their arms. I also like the dedicated Netflix and Amazon Video buttons. It’s a great remote, although LG has also followed the trend and supplied a smaller remote with a stripped out button layout. I barely used that one.

LG OLED65G7V – VIDEO PERFORMANCE
      As the LG G7 packs the same video tech as its siblings, I’m not surprised to see the same excellent picture performance I saw on the other sets. What you get here is clarity and dynamism, although not the final word in subtlety.
      LG has been pushing OLED far longer than anyone else – and it even supplies OLED panels to other manufacturers – so it’s safe to say the company knows what it’s doing.
      These days, strong contrast and lighting precision is to be expected of OLED. The way the pixels turn themselves on and off individually means there’s zero chance of light bleeding from one area into another – even if you have very bright areas right next to very dark areas. Whatever you throw at this TV, it will display without any hint of light pollution.
      That’s never been a problem with OLED, but brightness has always been an issue. It’s not just a matter of peak brightness, but rather the range of luminance the TV can operate in. As this is a brighter panel, LG has more room to manoeuvre, and the effect is a noticeable improvement on last year’s OLEDs.

Colour handling has improved, too. No longer is there that slight reddish-purple tone you could see on LG’s 2016 models (in brighter settings). What you get is more neutral, not to mention more subtle in shading, while still delivering an SDR or HDR picture that pops.A brighter panel gets you stronger visual impact and greater contrast, which is crucial for delivering the punch of an HDR picture. Previous OLEDs struggled in this department but now I feel confident in saying OLEDs can comfortably do justice to HDR. But more important than outright punch is the increase in more steps or gradations in the extremes, which leads to more detail. You get less clipping in the highlights and the shadows are less hollow, and the result is a more natural, three-dimensional picture.

Against the competition? I feel the only significant weakness here is the colour, which isn’t nearly as natural as the , particularly where skin tones are concerned.
      Then there’s the , which offers more stable motion and more subtle fine detail, especially in upscaled HD/SD sources. It’s not a huge difference, though.
      For brightness fans, premium LCD TVs such as the  offer a far brighter picture and greater colour volume – meaning greater HDR impact in bright rooms. But that’s balanced out by lighting issues visible in dark areas and in dim conditions.

There's good news for gamers, because LG beats everyone when it comes to latency. I recorded an input lag of 21ms on average, which is better than the 25ms on the Panasonic EZ952 and about 40ms on the Sony A1.
      I’ll finish this section with a few setup tips to make the most of the TV. First, I’d recommend using a tweaked version of the Cinema preset, which looks the most natural. Turn off the energy saving mode, because otherwise that overrides a bunch of your settings. The Cinema preset is a little dark by default, so bump up the brightness up a little. Don’t go up more than a couple of points, or you’ll risk bringing in picture noise. You can turn on noise reduction, but I’d recommend against doing that, because that would leave you with a softened picture. Lastly, activate the User setting on the ‘Trumotion’ motion processing, with de-blur and de-judder set to no more than 2. You can turn motion processing off entirely, but then you’ll notice a little instability.

LG OLED65G7V – AUDIO PERFORMANCE
      On the audio front, I’m pleased to report the OLED65G7V does very well. I’d hope so for a £7000 TV with a massive sound base, and I’m not disappointed. That being said, I’m not so sure about LG’s claims of  sound.
      For starters, the sound base isn’t like proper Atmos sound systems, which typically bounce effects off your ceiling to simulate the sensation of sound from above. True Dolby Atmos sound should leave you in bubble of sound with super-precise sound effects placement, and that just isn’t happening here.
      Then there’s the matter of sources. The TV decodes Dolby Atmos, but only from USB or streamed sources – not Blu-ray or 4K Blu-ray. That’s a shame, because Dolby Atmos soundtracks are by far more common on disc, and it would make sense for a premium sound system to handle sound from premium formats.

Atmos or no Atmos – what you get is a spacious soundstage that sounds much wider and taller than the TV’s physical dimensions. It has no problem with power and volume, and you can crank it without the sound hardening up. Tonal balance is good, with decent bass extension and a crisp treble. There’s enough weight and clarity here that I would happily let the TV handle big movie soundtracks without the assistance of proper speakers.
      As for effects placement, it’s precise enough to impress, although I feel the Sony A1 OLED does a better job of tracking effects, both on and off screen. All in all, it’s an impressive integrated sound system, but don’t expect something truly cinematic.
      There’s a very neat sound tuning option. The TV plays some test tones, designed to bounce around the room and end up in your remote control’s built-in microphone. The remote then feeds this information back to your TV, which works out your room’s acoustics and adjusts the sound accordingly. It’s a small difference but it works – in my test room, the TV dialed down the bass a little and the result was more natural than the default setting.

SHOULD I BUY THE LG OLED65G7V?
      LG’s product strategy this year means you can enjoy the same quality picture for less if you opt for the models with less fancy designs – such as the  and . They’re available for £2500 less at 65 inches. Then there’s the , £5000 at 65 inches, which is a compromise, keeping the gorgeous picture-on-glass design but swapping the folding sound base for a less powerful sound bar. If you do want to splash the cash, then the LG G7 won't disappoint.
      As for picture quality, LG’s OLEDs face strong competition from Sony and Panasonic. The  (£5000 at 65 inches) does a better job with fine detail and motion, while the  (£4799 at 65 inches) boasts class-leading colour accuracy. LG, meanwhile, counters with a more impactful HDR picture, lower input lag for gamers, as well as the best smart operating system of the lot.
      Related: 
      VERDICT
      LG has already proved itself with OLED this year, and with the G7 it’s just showing off.
      OVERALL SCORE
      SCORES IN DETAIL
      Design10 Image Quality9 Smart TV9 Sound Quality9 Value7
      Read more at  
    • By News Reporter
      While every webOS device comes with some kind of speaker, the TouchPad is the only one whose speaker is adequate to fill a (smallish) room. On the phones, even the rear speaker struggles to put out enough volume to allow sharing of music or other audio in a space with moderate or higher background noise. Given that webOS phones all support both standard 3.5mm headphone/speaker jacks (the Veer admittedly needing an adapter) and Bluetooth speakers, there are numerous options for boosting the sound so others can enjoy it too. Unfortunately, most of those external speakers are far less portable than the phone itself. There are, though, some speakers that offer both powered amplification and portability. One of these is the Naztech N15 3.55 Mini Boom Speaker, which additionally operates as a standalone MP3/WMA player (it accepts microSD cards as removable storage, and has minimal controls for music playback and track navigation). While the Naztech's design and standalone player capabilities are pluses, however, its minimal amplification power makes it a poor choice for webOS devices.
      Naztech has done a nice job with the design of the N15. It folds to the size and shape of a flattened golf ball, with a recess for storing the non-removable (and very short at 2-3 inches) 3.5mm audio cable. Along the periphery of the speaker are the standalone music player controls, a miniUSB (not microUSB, unfortunately, meaning it cannot share charger cables with a webOS device) port, and the microSD slot. The play/pause button doubles as the power button for the speaker, and a blue LED lights up when the unit is powered on. Note that although the track forward and reverse buttons double as volume controls for standalone play, they do not affect volume when the N15 is connected to an external sound source. According to Naztech, the N15 provides 2 watts of speaker output, and its 3.7 volt lithium ion battery charges (via a powered USB port or charger) in 4 hours. Naztech does not provide any play time details, and our testing did not extend to battery life.

• By News Reporter

Q10 in 90 minutes