Quantcast

[On the Job] LG SIC Center: Making Smart Home Appliances Smarter

News Reporter

In this installment of On the Job, we go inside LG’s System Integrated Circuit (SIC) Center to learn how LG is leveraging the latest AI to help deliver new customer experiences.

On-the-Job-SIC-01-600x333.png

Imagine if there was a refrigerator that could play music and change color to match your current mood or spice up your kitchen décor. Well, as it happens, such a fridge actually exists – the newly introduced refrigerator with MoodUP™ from LG. The unique capabilities and customer experiences offered by LG’s latest kitchen innovation owe much to the LG8111, an on-device AI system-on-chip (SoC) developed by LG’s SIC Center.

Even before it was known as LG Electronics, the company began producing chips for consumer electronics as far back as 1992, at the ASIC Center under Goldstar’s Central Research Institute. Now, LG’s SIC Center is responsible for developing all of the AI chips used in LG products. These technologies have evolved over time to become the AI-based integrated circuits now used in cutting-edge appliances and home entertainment solutions such as LG OLED TV, and now, the fridge with MoodUP™.

On-the-Job-SIC-02-600x333.png
(From left to right) Chang Woon-suk, lead of Smart Solution TP, LG SIC Center, and Lee Jin-jong, LG SIC Center professional

Greatly expanding the customer experience, the company’s latest AI chips can process innumerable data points and enable LG appliances to communicate with one another – and with other smart devices as well. LG8111, the new AI chip used in the MoodUP™, features an acceleration engine that processes information gathered from the refrigerator’s built-in cameras, microphones and sensors in real time. This allows the MoodUP™ to quickly recognize changes in its immediate environment and adjust performance accordingly, facilitate more convenient interactions with users and accurately assess if all of its features are functioning optimally.

On-the-Job-SIC-03-600x333.png

Recognizing the importance that AI will play in consumer electronics and wanting to find a solution to differentiate LG products, engineers at the LG SIC Center began to develop the LG8111 in 2017 and created the first prototype in 2018. The LG8111, a highly integrated AI chip that is equipped with an LG-specific AI processor, is perfectly designed for LG products. While the chip performs and functions better online, its AI functions can also be utilized offline as well.

Impressively, the LG8111 can provide three types of AI: vision intelligence (the ability to recognize and distinguish between different spaces, locations, objects and users), voice intelligence (the ability to recognize users’ voices or specific noises associated with a certain type of space) and control intelligence (the ability to adjust and optimize performance according to physical or chemical changes in the environment). Also, when connected to Wi-Fi, any product equipped with the LG8111 can transmit information to nearby devices or to cloud servers.

On-the-Job-SIC-04-600x333.png

“We spent a considerable amount of time deciding which device would be the first to apply our new on-device AI chip,” said Chang Woon-suk, lead of Smart Solution TP, LG SIC Center.

Various appliances were in contention, but ultimately, the SIC team decided to go with a refrigerator, a choice made because the household fridge has the distinction of being the only home appliance to operate 24/7. The first recipient of the state-of-the-art chip, the color-changing LG refrigerator with MoodUP™ boasts a seamless voice recognition feature that allows for convenient, remote control and monitoring via the LG ThinQ app.

On-the-Job-SIC-05-600x333.png

“All of our top-notch researchers at the LG SIC Center are dedicated to developing chip solutions based on the core goal of maximizing customer value,” said Chang. “While we’re pleased with the success of the LG8111, we will continue to push the envelope as a team to take the customer experience to the next level.”

The successful implementation of the LG8111 in the new LG refrigerator with MoodUP™ opens the way for the chip’s use in a wide range of LG solutions, from other smart home appliances to electric vehicle components.

Stay tuned to

link hidden, please login to view
to learn more about the innovative technologies LG is using to drive the customer experience forward.

# # #

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By herebedragons69
      I purchased an LG 86" UT8050 4K UHD LED Smart TV (2024) from JBHIFI in Australia. The TV was wall-mounted and set up by a local installer. I discovered that my TV has Chromecast built-in. I tried casting music from Roon, but Chrome immediately crashed and the TV shutdown. I tried again and the audio was distorted. I shut down and tried again and the audio stuttered. I tried Chromecasting with Qobuz and Plex and got the same result on audio playing out to my Yamaha RX-V6A and the TV speakers. I then tried to play audio from the Plex App in the LG WebOS. That played fine, without any distortion.
      Thinking this might have been a result of a hurried setup (the installer did this job "on the run" I reset the TV to factory defaults and set it up again. Everything went smoothly. But the problem with Chromecast persists. First time launching Chromecast the app crashed and the TV shutdown. 2nd try I got distorted audio to the receiver and to the TV speakers. Audio and Video are fine on all other apps. I can see no other faults.
      I've been Googling this and not seeing much info other than a few threads where people are saying that the LG built-in Chromecast feature does not work. I saw that one person returned his TV and the replacement had the same issue with built-in Chromecast. Most discussions on this issue are hijacked by people using a Chromecast streamer or dongle as opposed to the built-in Chromecast. They often talk about turning off this or that specific Chromecast setting, settings that are not accessible with a TV with built in Chromecast
      In the WebOs when I look at connected source devices Chromecast is there with a "Chromecast Settings" option. The settings have only one option and that is opt-in on sending crash data to Google. Apparently, Google is not monitoring the issue very closely.
      I listen to mostly Hi-Res audio. I wonder if the issue is caused by the bitrate of 24-bit Hi Res flac files. I did notice that when I cast audio that was CD quality (16-bit), the distortion did not occur. This is weird though because in the past I have been able to cast 24-bit audio to Chromecast-enabled devices without any problems.
      My TV says my firmware is up to date. I did not see a prompt to install a firmware update during setup. I've set software and app updates to be automatic.
      Appreciate any help or even a "Hey, it's not just you, this is a known issue, I've got this problem too".

• By News Reporter
      LG is committed to ensuring Life’s Good for customers around the world by integrating advanced technology into everyday life and evolving into a Smart Life Solution Company. In line with this, LG Australia recently partnered with Channel Seven’s Dream Home renovation series as an official sponsor. The series featured six pairs transforming suburban homes into Dream Homes, showcasing LG products in real Australian settings.
      To raise awareness of the partnership and show how LG’s “Life’s Good with Optimism” commitment can make life at home just a little bit sweeter, LG Australia conducted a comprehensive campaign centered around optimism. This campaign leveraged various touchpoints to position LG as a brand that fosters connections and joyful living at home.

The campaign commenced with an exciting week-long giveaway in collaboration with Australia’s top breakfast TV program, Sunrise on Channel Seven. Airing daily, this game-show-style competition awarded real Australians a series of LG products to help bring their Dream Home visions to life, creating a sense of optimism and joy within the community.

LG Australia also launched an owned consumer promotion featuring renowned interior designer Kate Lawrence. For MyLG members, Lawrence offered two lucky Australians a professional room makeover, complemented by LG products and a voucher to purchase items for their Dream Home through a partnership with homewares retailer, Freedom.

An exclusive event was hosted at the newly renovated home of Dream Home contestants Lara and Peter to showcase how innovative technology can create delightful home experiences. This event was part of the lead-up to the Dream Home grand finale. It highlighted LG products in real Australian homes, promoted the LG Australia and Dream Home partnership, and communicated LG’s “Life’s Good” brand promise to a wide Australian audience.

A highlight of the event was a panel discussion featuring Dream Home Judge Rosie Morley, contestants Lara and Peter, LG Australia Marketing Director Gemma Lemieux and special guests Rhys and Liam, who also participated in the Dream Home series and renovated Lara and Peter’s home. The panel delved into the evolving role of the home and the significant influence of technology in maximizing joy and happiness in our personal spaces.
      Guests were treated to a surprise reveal, courtesy of Australian entertaining expert Alex Cadger, who shared his tips and tricks to putting on the perfect party from his years of experience with his home catering company, The Blonde Butler. After a surprise reveal – the best part about a renovation show – of an exceptional grazing table, guests were invited to tour the home, get hands-on with LG products and enjoy an afternoon of food, drink and conversation.

To capitalize on the event’s momentum, participants spoke with Dream Home contestants about their experiences and shared insights into the role that smart technology plays in creating your dream space, no matter your expectations, and making life more enjoyable and fulfilling.

Following the Dream Home grand finale, the event at Lara and Peter’s home generated online buzz, showcasing LG as a brand that fosters connections and empowers Australians to live their best lives. Overall, the campaign increased consumer preference for LG as a brand that facilitates lasting connections, further reinforcing its position as a Smart Life Solution company.
      To read more about LG’s Dream Home campaign, visit
      link hidden, please login to view. Contributed by LG Australia
      # # #

• By SergioR
      HI All

I wondering if any help can be provided as I just purchased the LG C4 TV but having trouble getting any sound from my SC-HT500 Panasonic Theater Surround sound system having tried connecting to all four ports. I managed to connect to the universal remote via management of setting where the theater system powers up in which it's getting recognized but not getting and sound with no signal.

Please see screen shots along with manual of the surround sound system 
      Is there anything I'm missing in the set-up that I should try?

Panasonic_SC-HT500.pdf
    • By Low Grade
      i just started using a new LG 43UR7550 (cheapest model from them).......1st time using a LG as well as a Smart TV too.......and so far having a hard time adjusting the picture and sound (never had such problems with previous TVs)😒

1) sound is worse than i thought since the speakers are down-firing (my previous TV had front-firing speakers)...........it has the AI Sound Tuning - so after it had tuned the sound - do i set the Sound Mode to ''AI'' or should i use ''Custom Settings'' to use the equalizer ??😬

2) the TV has many different settings like Noise Reduction, TruMotion, etc.......so how to calibrate for best picture since i read that people say it's best to turn them all off ?😬

3) i can turn off the screen when watching free-to-air broadcast channels.........but can i turn off the screen if i'm using Youtube app on the TV..........?..........what if i use a HDMI cable from my PC to the TV - can i turn off the screen ?🤒

many thanks in advance😃
    • By starwoodtech
      I have a 65 Inch LG OLED evo AI C4 4K Smart TV 2024 - Model OLED65C4PUA.ACC. here have been a many weird things happening. This is one of them:
      I followed the instructions to set the default input on my TV, but every time I cold start it, it simply goes to the screen where there is a list of apps. I try to repeatedly go to the HOME app to try to set it again, even though it already shows HDMI 4 as the start up input, but it simpy goes to the default screen where my apps are listed.
      Does anyone know what it would take to set this?