• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Packrat
      Hi,
      The SmartShare (on win10) using the Video Player work great!!! Thanks to the LG+WebOS team.
      Seems the Video player app doesn't support the full srt "standard".
      If there is better place to post or file bugreports please let me know.
      I was watching a mkv with a srt and that works great but it seems that some of the SRT codes are not implemented.
      Could support be added, or alternately just drop the codes so they don't show up on screen? ( Open curly "a" and a number and close curly bracket)
        {\a3} Details are below.
      Thanks
      Frank
      -------snip snip----------------
      WebOS: 05.10.25 (or tv fw?)
      TV: 65UM7300AUE NA model (please keep making real 4K IPS screens)
      SmartShare V2.3.1712.1201
      Reference for SRT codes:

link hidden, please login to view   {\a3} (indicates that the text should start appearing on line 3)
    • By News Reporter
      I recently added a LG Nexus 4 to my smartphone rotation, and yes, that's an Android device. It's a nicely-designed phone and feels good in the hand, and as an added bonus to an old school Palm aficionado like myself, comes with built-in wireless charging in the form of Qi. For those unfamiliar, Qi is similar to Touchstone in that it's an inductive charging system, except that it's a standard that multiple manufacturers support with an array of cross-compatible devices and chargers.
      There's just one problem with Qi: there are no magnets for alignment and traction. Also, Qi isn't compatible with Touchstone, so I've now got four mobile device chargers going at once on my desk: phone Touchstone,
      link hidden, please login to view, , a new , and a Micro USB cable for all my devices not fortunate enough to be graced with wireless charging or a dock. As a Palm fan, that Nexus 4 Wireless Charger has been a particular point of contention for me , no matter how much I clean the back of the phone and the top of the charger (as the comments in my post on Android Central indicate, not everybody has this issue with the Nexus 4 Wireless Charger, but I'm also not alone in my problems). Enter , a man that's no stranger to the webOS community as the chief of . Whitby's also a man that loves to tinker, and he's taken to adding Touchstone charging to a wide range of devices, including an audacious hack that .
      Like me, Whitby was disappointed by the design of the Nexus 4 Wireless Charger (though, he has yet to get his hands on one, being in Australia and all). And being Rod Whitby, he took matters into his own hands and rather quickly opened up the back of the Nexus 4 and hacked in a Touchstone coil. What came out at the end he describes as "the world's first mult-wireless-charging phone," as the larger Qi coil still works with the Touchstone coil layered on top of it. Whitby reports that everything fit back together and that the phone is "fully operational". Additionally, in his testing the Touchstone charger seems to charge his Nexus 4 "significantly faster" than the Qi charger he has on hand.
      While the phone can now charge from three different sources - Micro USB, Qi, and Touchstone - there's still work to be done. In particular, Whitby still needs to solve for this Touchstone hack the problem that afflicts the Nexus 4 Wireless Charger: he currently has the Touchstone coil installed but nothing to hold the Nexus 4 in place on the Touchstone charger. There are two options: install metal discs in the back of the Nexus 4 (Palm and HP webOS smartphones have metal discs that are drawn to ), or if that's not enough to keep the phone in place through its glass back, then small magnetic discs will be the order of the day.
      So there you have it: even on a phone that's over a year removed from the last webOS devices and using the latest Qi wireless standards, the old standby Touchstone inductive charging system offers faster charging and a better user experience. It's one of the little things we're going to be able to crow about for years to come.

• By News Reporter
      Eighteen months ago
      link hidden, please login to view, putting an end to one of our favorite features on the site: . The reasoning offered at the time was that HP's enterprise customers were concerned about security and to prep things for the impending TouchPad launch, it didn't help that was reaching its limits in terms of manageable size. While there have been fits and starts at HP to reanimate open App Catalog access in the form of an API, that seems to have more or less fallen by the wayside. Without an accessible feed or API, searching the App Catalog comes down to Google. HP's left their individual web listings for the App Catalog open and available to the public, but there's not yet been a for the thousands of apps listed. While that's not yet happened, web developer and webOS Nation Forum member pattyland and created a snazzy little website that lets you search the App Catalog from the comfort and speed of your desktop browser: .
      The site uses a custom Google search (specifically: ) to return relevant App Catalog listings per your search terms. The search site has the option to sort by relevance or date (the most recently updated pages at the top) and presents everything in a design meant to evoke the TouchPad user interface.
      The site's already secured a place in our bookmarks, and if you're the type that frequently shares the direct URL for App Catalog apps, it's a site you should consider giving some attention as well.

• By News Reporter
      Earlier this week,
      link hidden, please login to view and launched their maps outside of Microsoft's Bing and Windows Phone platforms (and Nokia's own much-maligned Symbian platform). What made the rebrand/relaunch interesting was that Nokia will be launching apps for Here on iOS and Firefox OS in the near future, with Android support on the horizon. Here also debuted a new online webapp so you can check out and use the service in your browser, even on smartphones. Unless it's a webOS smartphone, that is. It's not that they're deliberately dismissing webOS, no, it's that the webOS browser just isn't up to snuff anymore. Thankfully, webOS itself can handle the service, so long as it's packaged as an app.
      That's exactly what lauded homebrew developer 72ka decided to do. If this sounds familiar, that's because . He seems to have a thing for maps apps, and considering that we're otherwise stuck with a sub-par Bing Maps app on webOS, we're okay with him having a thing for maps apps. 72ka describes the Here maps app as a "simple webview container to allow user interactions", circumventing the webOS browser's inability to permit user interactions with the Here website. And just too tickle our awesome bone a little bit further, he's planning to offer the app for free through the webOS Nation Homebrew Gallery () and it's available under the Apache open source license.
      There are still some things to work out - 72ka says it's an alpha at this point - including support on webOS 1.x (currently the app won't load) and fixing an awkward half-loading problem on the TouchPad. But even then, this webview container of an app is a stopgap measure. When Nokia announced Here, they said they would be releasing an API for the maps next year, which 72ka hopes to use to build a native app for webOS. But until then, if the Bing apps map doesn't do it for your and you're just sick of Google, check out Here.