Quantcast

ITVX

Peterg12

Question

7 answers to this question

On 12/9/2022 at 1:16 PM, Peterg12 said:

I am unable to download ITVX on my LG Smart TV. Is it available yet? If not will it automatically replace ITV hub

If your LG TV isn't 2022 version (like mine 2019 65C9PLA) then you are out of luck. Good innit. Smart TV apps are a waste of space, best off getting a cheap firestick or Roku if you really need it. 

On 12/9/2022 at 1:16 PM, Peterg12 said:

I am unable to download ITVX on my LG Smart TV. Is it available yet? If not will it automatically replace ITV hub

ITVx is coming but neither ITV or LG are very keen to give a date.

What they have said is that the 20 live channels on ITVx won't be available on LG, for some reason, which is yet another reason not to buy LG again.

Manually updated from the App Store on my 55" C9 but it's a mess. "My Apps" still lists ITV Hub, not ITVX, is shown as locked / unavailable and the ITVx app has an infuriating bug where the picture will vanish to a black screen after any ad break leaving sound only, recoverable only by exiting and then restarting / resuming the programme, often needing several attempts.

Makes the whole thing virtually unusable, I guess announced with a fixed launch date before anyone had asked the developers how long it would take to release in a workable state!

4 hours ago, philipD said:

Manually updated from the App Store on my 55" C9 but it's a mess. "My Apps" still lists ITV Hub, not ITVX, is shown as locked / unavailable and the ITVx app has an infuriating bug where the picture will vanish to a black screen after any ad break leaving sound only, recoverable only by exiting and then restarting / resuming the programme, often needing several attempts.

Makes the whole thing virtually unusable, I guess announced with a fixed launch date before anyone had asked the developers how long it would take to release in a workable state!

I updated ITV Hub to ITVX and it works fine on my TV. I hate that I still cannot watch live TV on it though. I have it on a Firestick and that has the live tab so I use that more than the TV. If I had known about the problems on LG with live TV I would have looked at another make possibly with Android instead of this awful WebOS.

9 hours ago, Derek Robinson said:

... I would have looked at another make possibly with Android instead of this awful WebOS.

I find WebOS, in conjunction with the LG Magic Remote, pretty good, certainly in comparison with other TV UIs I've tried (and that includes Sony / AndroidTV). The ITVx debacle seems entirely an own goal by ITV and is the 1st significant issue I've had with it.

WebOS isnt awful - from the user point of view its just an app launcher and its very quick and easy on a C8 to do that - the apps themselves are quite simple too as they're just GUIs really - the hard work is really done by the libraries within the firmware.

I bought a ATV 4K back when there was no ATV app on WebOS but its still useful from time to time like the TvOS ITVx app does support live. 

For the issue of apps always showing needing update in the Content Store when they dont - then LG support quickly fell back on "try a factory reset before we can help" but its a big job to put back all the settings for each of SDR/HDR/DV for all sources and inputs

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By My tv
      Hi as of a few days ago I have been unable to get soaps like coronation street on my itvx app.
      I have 3 LG TVs but all saying the “something went wrong “ message.I have reloaded the app and done the usual router/tv off etc.
      But no joy ?
      Any ideas am I the only person that is having issues?
      Dec 2023

• By Graham66
      I have. an LG43UQ91006LA.I am having problems with the ITVX app, it keeps buffering as much as 5 times over a 1 hour programme after the buffering I get a banner come up telling me I have a problem with my internet,  but everything else is working the banner disappears after a few seconds and everything works until the next buffering, just wondering if anybody else has the same problem? I have no problems with other apps, BBC I player,Channel4, My5. If I use Amazon Firestick all the channels run smoothly including ITVX.
    • By James Simpson
      When will ITVX be available? Why isn't it available already? Is this another item that LG doesn't mention in its documentation (isn't that false advertising)?
      Why aren't VPNs (or at least one) available? That's definitely false advertising. How is an ex-pat supposed to use an LG (stupid) TV? Can I have my purchase price back so that I can buy a real smart TV?
      Why can't I download any app I want? 
    • By James Simpson
      Thank you for your response and your attempts to help me. I'm glad to read you're not LG, I wouldn't wish that on anyone, certainly not working in the "stupid TV" division. I have worked my entire working life in the software sector, including senior management and therefore including the commercial and legal sides of the sector. 
      The ITVx app is not in the LG Content Store which I have access to. Are there multiple Content Stores or is access to the Content Store not standard for all users? How can that be? Does LG just let any software into its Content Store? Untried, untested, no acceptance testing? Where has LG learned such business practices? How has it survived so long? The Content Store carries the LG name, so therefore LG carries responsibility for it. LG should act responsibly. I got ITVx by calling up the ITVHUB, which asked me if I wanted to update. After a positive reply, ITVx was downloaded. What on earth is that? I have looked in ITVx but not watched any programmes yet. 
      No, "smart" means that there is a processor and storage, which can have an Internet connection. LG provides its so-called "operating system", which in my opinion has bugs in it - does LG pay the software houses to convert their software app to webOS? If not, how does that work? Do other smart TV manufacturers do that? How can a business run when suppliers determine what the product can do? As I get farther into this, the more I regret paying out so much money for such junk and dubious manufacturing procedures. Luckily the picture, sound and size of screen are good. 
      I wasn't aware that no smart TV has every app. What a way to run an industry!
       There are many aspects to VPNs, not just getting round georestrictions on TV and streaming services. If you think VPNs are “a legal grey area” (which they’re not, imo), what do you think of IPTV, KODI? LG does not offer even one VPN but I cannot count how many IPTV viewers it offers in its Content Store. Are you saying that LG with its lack of VPNs is trying to influence what I watch on its TV? Or what I store in its fridge or freezer? I don’t live in Russia, Iran or North Korea – as long as I pay for my TV I can watch on it what I want, especially when it’s not illegal to watch it. Where does it say that in LG’s advertising and product description? Perhaps broadcasters and streaming services should pay the participants in their products proper fees which reflect 21st century broadcasting norms. I note that you use a VPN – is your solution not “a legal grey area”? Legal grey areas need to be updated for the 21st century. 
      I’m trying to make the best of my TV too. I don’t care about ITVx, it is the principles I care about. LG duped me into buying one of their products, which does not do what its advertising states either implicitly or explicitly. I think I’ll complain about it to one of the EU’s watchdogs.  

• By ABitencrypted
      I have a OLED65C9PLA and just updated the ITV Hub app to ITVX.  The app runs but the picture has the wrong aspect ratio and is displayed on the right two thirds of the screen. Any ideas?