Quantcast

[Better Life Story] How Yimenu’s Passion for Technology Led Him to LG

Yimenu-01-scaled.jpg
(From left to right) Yimenu Weldeyes Adefris, technical support assistant with the LGEME Gulf SVC Team and
Ryu Kwang-jin, Master of LGEME Tech Support & Training Team

As a young boy growing up in Ethiopia, Yimenu Weldeyes Adefris always knew he wanted a career in technology. But with fierce competition and limited local opportunities to gain the required skills and knowledge, it seemed highly likely that he may never get the chance.

The LG-KOICA TVET College in Ethiopia

LG-KOICA Hope TVET College, located in the Ethiopian capital of Addis Ababa, was co-founded by LG Electronics and the Korean International Cooperation Agency (KOICA) to help give passionate and capable young Ethiopians, like Yimenu, the tools needed to succeed in the tech industry. A graduate of the school, Yimenu now works as a full-time technical support assistant with LG Electronics Middle East (LGEME).

A trainee repairing a machine at a factory

Not only was he top of his class at LG-KOICA Hope TVET College for three consecutive years, Yimenu was also recognized by the school’s faculty as an “excellent student.” After completing his studies in 2018, he worked for two years as an intern at LGEME, earning selection to his current role of technical support assistant in 2020.

“I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to attend LG-KOICA Hope TVET College and for the ongoing career opportunities and professional growth I’ve enjoyed since joining LG,” he remarked. “I thank the college and the company for helping to make my childhood dream a reality.”

Yimenu-04.jpg

“I applied to LG-KOICA Hope TVET College at my mother’s recommendation,” he continued. “At first, studying was very difficult because there was so much to take in and I was also working part-time,” he added. “But, the guidance I received from the instructors and advisors there really helped me to push through, giving me the confidence and the foundation of knowledge I needed to succeed professionally.”

In addition to offering vocational training covering the repair and servicing of various electronics products, including home appliances, the college also offers comprehensive courses in information and communication technologies. Graduates of LG-KOICA have earned a reputation for being workforce-ready and for being innovative thinkers: a sought-after trait that LG actively fosters in all of its employees – and students – worldwide.

Yimenu-5.jpg

Although he learned much from and admired all of his instructors at the school, Yimenu formed a special bond with LG master technician, Ryu Kwang-jin. “Mr. Ryu definitely increased my passion for and understanding of technology and continues to be a role model and mentor for me,” Yimenu noted. “It’s because of him that I strive every day to become a better technician. One day, I hope to become a master technician, just like Mr. Ryu.”

Yimenu gives much of the credit for being the top performer in his class to Ryu. Inspired by his mentor, he spent much of his time outside the classroom applying his growing skill-base at home. The budding technician dismantled (and put back together) the family TV, doing the same with his mother’s mobile phone and various other devices around the house. Seeing the young man’s enthusiasm and aptitude for technology, Ryu recommended Yimenu take advanced courses to help him accelerate and expand his competencies. Today, having learned how to repair practically every LG home appliance and B2B product, he is currently in charge of technical support for 12 countries, including the UAE, Bahrain and Qatar.

Yimenu-06.jpg

To further his understanding of LG’s latest technical services and support processes, Yimenu recently traveled to South Korea to visit the company’s home base. There, he was reunited with his teacher and mentor.

“He is full of passion for technology,” said Ryu, recalling Yimenu as a shy but spirited student. “I wanted to help him fulfill his enormous potential and make his dreams come true. I believe he can become a great LG master technician. I am very proud to have taught him, but even more so to see his continued growth, both professionally and personally.”

Yimenu-07.jpg

For Ethiopian youngsters who dream of following in his footsteps and carving out a successful career in their chosen field, Yimenu has some advice of his own to impart: “Keep challenging yourselves to become better people, pursue your dreams and listen to those with the experience and wisdom to help guide you. When you work hard and believe, anything is possible.”

# # #

link hidden, please login to view

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By frank_1985
      Hi everyone,
      I'm interested in the OLED BX. I would like to know if it is compatible with a 5TB HDD (to be connected and fed through one of the TV USB port).
      LG manuals recommend to connect up to 2TB storage HDDs but don't really state that higher capacity devices are not expected to work.
      Then, I'm not sure how are things with DTS support. It seems that DTS decoding is no longer supported on the 2020 tv sets. But LG web page (updated 08/22/2020) titled "Support Video Playback File Type & Codec" still claims that "TV supports DTS audio codec when USB/HDMI video file playback offers it".
      Can any of you shed some light on these ones?
      Thank you so much.

• By GiovanniG
      Hi, today I've lost about 8 hours trying find out how to open an rtsp of an IP camera into a new 65" OLED TV, which is updated to the latest FW. Tons of apps for IPTV but none of them is able to open a working/tested RTSP, also including it into a playlist m3u file. Nobody in this world has thought to display an RTSP on a LG TV? Looks unbelievable.

I've read a bout "webOS Signage and LG" but no ide how to implement it, install it, nowhere it is described.
      I need to display an rtsp stream on LG tv, I have the chance only woth an external device by HDMI or DLNA? That's a shame..
      Thank you for help
    • By antioli
      Hello, new to this so please le me know what I'm doing wrong.
      I have a 15min 3840 x 600 60fps video that needs to loop on a LG 86BH5C display. 
      From what I understand the H264 video has to have:
      a bitrate under 20Mbps
      an encoded level under 4.0
      file size under 30gb
      With Media Encoder, this isn't possible. Anything under an encoded level of 5.0 won't even render something in this resolution. 
      I'm sure the answer is staring at me in the face but for the life of me I can't figure it out.
      Any help would be great!
      thanks,
      Antioli
    • By GJC
      I would like to be able to access my network drives without using DLNA.  It should look just like a USB drive.
    • By News Reporter
      Companies Aim to Improve the In-Vehicle Experience via Seamless Integration of
      Virtual Assistant into LG’s Infotainment Solutions

SEOUL, July 28, 2022 — LG Electronics (LG) has signed a memorandum of understanding with SoundHound AI, Inc. (SoundHound), a global player in voice artificial intelligence (AI), to jointly develop advanced voice AI technology for the next-generation of in-vehicle infotainment (IVI) systems.
      The partnership will leverage LG’s innovative IVI systems and SoundHound’s advanced voice AI platform, which enables conversational voice control, to bring an up-to-dated convenience to the driver and passenger experience.
      As an intelligence driven consumer electronics and IT business, LG has been trying to inspire the auto industry with new form-factors. Simultaneously, LG always pursues an innovative partner for the future of mobility.
      SoundHound’s advanced voice AI platform is built on Speech-to-Meaning® and Deep Meaning Understanding® technologies. These technologies enabled the evolution of voice experience from a legacy command-and-control interface to a more intuitive conversational functionalities for drivers and passengers.
      This new collaboration will also allow users to take advantage of SoundHound’s voice commerce partnerships – meaning drivers and passengers will be able to pay for gas, parking or even order food directly from their vehicles, simply by using the microphone and infotainment display. Such voice-enabled commerce could help OEMs build new revenue streams via their connected vehicles.
      Voice recognition is beginning to see much wider adoption in the auto segment, after initially being available only as an optional extra in select luxury vehicle models. As safety and ease-of-use being enhanced, voice AI technology will make it possible for carmakers to provide a range of services that will allow drivers to perform a variety of tasks hands-free and without taking their eyes off the road. Its wider implementation will also improve any commute or journey for those occupying the passenger seats as well.
      With the virtual assistant market expected to grow considerably over the next decade, more automakers are recognizing the need to bring voice recognition features to their vehicle programs. In order to meet the anticipated rise in demand and move the technology forward, LG has partnered with the SoundHound. The two companies aim to bring innovative, new voice functionalities and capabilities to LG’s next-gen IVI systems to change the in-vehicle experience for the better life.
      “We’re excited to collaborate with SoundHound and look forward to providing new in-vehicle experiences through seamlessly integrating its voice AI platform with our latest IVI system architecture,” said Eun Seok-hyun, president of the LG Vehicle component Solutions (VS) Company. “This partnership will allow us to better meet the needs of our auto industry customers and create innovative solutions that will help driving the future of mobility.”
      “Our agreement with LG will allow auto manufacturers of all sizes to deliver the kind of voice-enabled infotainment experience that users have come to expect in every part of their lives,” said Keyvan Mohajer, president and CEO of SoundHound. “We’re entering an era where people are beginning to expect to talk to devices in the way they talk to each other, and that those interactions will be helpful and proactive. This experience is enabled by the most advanced voice AI technology.”
      Based in Santa Clara, California, SoundHound is a leading innovator in AI-based voice recognition and natural language processing solutions, operating across various industries including audio, telecommunications, financial services and automotive.
      # # #

link hidden, please login to view