Quantcast

PreCentral: Touch to share

Touch To share

Touch-to-share was a concept that was introduced at the Think Beyond event with the unveiling of the Veer, Pre3 and TouchPad. The concept was that you could use a near field communications-type technology to share data between your devices simply by touching them together. While touch-to-share was ultimately going to be expanded to include a lot of different types of data, even giving developers the ability to access it in their apps, touch-to-share currently only lets you share web pages between devices and doesn’t appear that it will be expanded any time soon. And unfortunately, while the Veer has the hardware requirements to allow touch-to-share, it never received the software update to take advantage of this functionality; so, you will be required to have a Pre3 and a TouchPad (or two of each device) to access it.

So how does touch-to-share work? All you need to do is place the back of the Pre3 (where the HP logo is) on top the home button of the TouchPad and let it sit for a second or two. You will know that the touch-to-share was activated because a giant ripple will emanate from the home button on the TouchPad, and then one of a few things will happen:

• If Bluetooth was not turned On on either device, you will get a notice saying that you will need to turn Bluetooth on in order to take advantage of this feature and give you an option to turn Bluetooth on. Once on, try touch-to-share again
  • If the two devices were not already , they will automatically get paired together and you will get a pop-up on your Pre3 asking to allow messaging access to share your text messages across the devices. Regardless of the answer to this question, your devices will now be paired together and you can access touch-to-share.
    • You can also (such as allowing messaging or phone calls between devices) later or even open up the Bluetooth app and a device from your list if you want permanently delete it from your list of trusted devices.
  • Assuming that you now have Bluetooth turned on and two devices paired together, if you have a webpage active on the screen from the stock web browser on the Pre3 and/or the TouchPad when you touch the two devices together, the URL of that site will be sent to the other device and the stock web browser will launch and open that page. Unfortunately, it will not send your position on the page or any other data that you may have filled in on the originating device. It simply sends over the website address

While this is not a feature that is probably used often, it is convienent when you are reading a site on your phone and decide that you would rather read it on the larger screen of your TouchPad, or if you are reading a site on your TouchPad but have to leave the house and you can quickly transfer that site to your phone. And, until HP or someone within the Open Source webOS team expands touch-to-share, this is all that we will be able to use touch-to-share for.

mf.gif

a2t.imgw3T1PxeCVPw

link hidden, please login to view

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By sweb
      How can i share via ubuntu. LG webos based on linux. it's funny we dont have share screen using ubuntu desktop.
      How can share my ubuntu desktop via lg webos?
    • By Arthur Dent
      Just getting the runaround from LG, only want a baseline figure, they sent me this

, our technicians have explained that we cannot calculate the unit's actual power consumption when not in standby because there are too many factors that could affect this calculation. These factors include how many pixel refreshers are run, whether the unit is connected to the internet, external devices connected, speakers connected, sound systems connected, HDD connected and recording set ups. I am afraid that we consequently cannot answer your question.

we all know LG are not helpful to customers , but there’s no need to keep proving it.
      this TV has a good energy rating so figures must be available, they either dont care or understand what I am asking

thanks

• By News Reporter
      Innovation Opens Up Opportunities for Micro LED Displays with Enhanced
      Picture Quality, Deeper Blacks and Customization Options

SEOUL, Oct. 13, 2021 — LG Electronics’ Micro LED technology has been named the recipient of the Presidential Award at the International Light Convergence EXPO 2021, which kicked off today in South Korea. LG developed a new application method by which the RGB chips are transferred directly on the Thin Film Transistor (TFT) glass backplane rather than the traditional printed circuit board, taking the technology to the next level. LG’s innovation opens the door to exciting new possibilities offering high-resolution images with blacks that are deeper and more realistic.
      Micro LED delivers stunning picture quality with exceptional brightness, contrast and clarity and are self-emissive, employing tiny light-emitting diodes. The LG’s next generation Micro LED technology with the award-winning offers vibrant, accurate colors and deep blacks for an immersive viewing experience. The modular design of this versatile display gives customers the ability to customize screen sizes to fit desired spaces and preferences. All this comes with a sleek bezel-less design to integrate seamlessly into walls and surrounding environments.
      Attracting approximately 200 organizations exhibiting across 500 booths, the International Light Convergence EXPO is an annual event showcasing the latest developments in advanced LED, OLED, signage and lighting technologies. Each year, the Government Award Ceremony organized by Korea’s Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy and the Korea Trade-Investment Promotion Agency recognizes significant contributions toward furthering the advancement of LED and OLED development.
      “LG is delighted to participate in this expo once again and incredibly honored to receive this recognition for our innovations in Micro LED technology,” said Paik Ki-mun, senior vice president and head of the Information Display business unit of LG Electronics Business Solutions Company. “With Micro LED products, we’re excited about this technology as both an innovator as well as a manufacturer.”
      With its advanced technologies and manufacturing know-how, LG unveiled its first Micro LED product in 2020, further strengthening its global reputation as a display innovator. LG’s first Micro LED signage product seamlessly combines the ultimate picture quality and brightness with its industry-leading technologies.
      The International Light Convergence EXPO 2021 runs from October 13-15 at the Korea International Exhibition Center (KINTEX) in Goyang, South Korea.
      # # #

link hidden, please login to view
    • By Rob Infantino
      We have two LG OLED TVs. WebOS appears differently on each. And we are able to download the Paramount+ app on one TV, but not on the other.
      OLED65C7P (older) running software version 6.00.25
      WebOS TV Version 3.9.0-62709
      Does not allow the Paramount+ app to be installed
      OLED65C9PUA (newer) running software version 5.10.25
      WebOS TV Version 4.9.3-5340808
      Allows the Paramount+ app to be installed
      How can we get WebOS to appear the same on both TVs?

• By majtemp
      Hello,
      After updating my LG TV to the latest firmware I saw a new option:
       It is "Bluetooth Speaker Volume":

Before this update, I used to connect to my Bluetooth headphones quicker because the option "Connect" was the FIRST OPTION.
      Now It is the second option and I have to press down every time to highlight "Connect".

Why replacing "Connect" with this disabled option "Bluetooth Speaker Volume" ?!

This is annoying because my TV fails to detect my headphones automatically so I have to go to this menu every day and select "Connect" manually. ☹️
      Making "Bluetooth Speaker Volume" the first option just made this process more annoying because now I have to press more buttons.

My simple request is:
      Make "Connect" the first option.

Thanks.