Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

Sign in to follow this  
NewsDummy

PreCentral: Should HP make a "Nexus" hero device for Open webOS?

Should HP make a An interesting question was posed this morning in our forums by aia832003: should HP make a "Nexus" device? For those not familiar, Google has over the past few years commissioned a series of "Nexus" phones for Android, phones that are the launch device for a new version of Android and run "pure" Android, [mostly] free of carrier and manufacturer interference. They're also typically the state-of-the-art as far as smartphones of the moment are concerned. For example, the current Nexus device is the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, a powerhouse of a smartphone no matter which way you cut it.

With webOS going open source, HP's going to face two problems going forward. The first, and largest problem, is convincing another manufacturer to take a chance on webOS. The second will be controlling webOS - while you technically can't control an open source project, especially with HP's plan to go with Apache licensing, setting the example can go a long way towards setting consumer expectations. With Android, consumers have come to expect and differentiate between the experience offered by the skins of HTC, Samsung, and Motorola. Obviously HP will want to avoid that kind of fragmentation, and setting the example with a "hero" type device might do that trick.

That said, there are some potential problems with the Nexus-approach for HP. The first being smartphones - it'll be hard enough to convince any manufacturer to pick up webOS, it'll be even harder to convince the carriers to give webOS yet another chance after years of disappointment at the register. There is of course the tablet market, in which HP could easily do the Nexus thing. They're planning on making ARM-powered Windows 8 tablets, and that hardware engineering wouldn't be that far off from what an open source Open webOS kernel could support. Heck, HP CEO Meg Whitman even said she'd like for HP to get back into the webOS tablet game.

So what do you say, oh webOS Nation? Should HP take the lead and set the example with webOS hardware, or should they leave it to the professionals?

mf.gif
emailthis2.gif bookmark.gif

a2.imga2t.imgjEhi2cdIruA

View the full article

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Forum Topics

• Question: files on USB device shown as ._xxx.jpg

To have a picture  show on my new LG OLED55B87LC I've connected an external USB 3.0 hard disk (formatted with MS-DOS FAT32 on my iMac) that I've filled with hundreds of pictures from my Fotos App.  But when I open this drive on the TV the jpg pictures (numbered 1.jpg to 999.jpg) show up as ._1.jpg to ._999.jpg. When I scroll down at the end the list then the real jpg`s appear. So it looks like there's a copy of each file on this drive starting with  ._  ?? And all of them can't be shown on the TV - they look faulty ?  I've tried out with another drive / USB stick - just the same problem. Does anyone experience the same problems ? Do USB devices have to be formatted in a special way ? Any idea how to solve this ? 

Ah - and beside this strange thing - is it normal that it last that long for the system of the TV to create all the thumbnail pictures to show on the TV ? When I scroll through a long list of pictures it lasts always a few seconds until the icons of the pictures really show the contents. This is really annoying because it makes the feature useless if I need several minutes to find a picture I'm searching for. Why is it that slow ? Is the USB connection only with 2.0 Standard ? Or is it a performance problem of WebOS ?   

By rologoetz, in LG webOS Smart TV Questions

• Awaiting best answer
      • 0 votes
      • 2 answers
    • webOS 4.0 confirmed within iOS and Android App Release Notes

Thanks to @Peter Alexander and @SSM we have confirmation of webOS 4.0 compatibility within the release notes and information listed for their respective apps in the below topic.   We've confirmed the iOS version changes:   We've also confirmed Android: Both version updated were added this week. We are waiting for an official webOS 4.0 press release from LG and additional information on what models are supported.

By Alex, in LG webOS Smart TV Discussion

• 3 replies
    • No Google Assistant support on 50UK6300Y

Hi,    I bought this TV in Israel but it doesn't have the option to set Google Assistant in it, It's running WebOS 4.0 but for some reason LG decided to remove it from the models they sell here.  Can I manually install the apps on my tv?  Can I install the US firmware instead? 

By Pagingup, in LG webOS Smart TV Discussion

• 2 replies
    • Question: How to add Google Play to your webos TV?

I want to add Spectrum TV from the Google Play Store to my LG apps? Not sure if I can?

By michael zepp, in LG webOS Smart TV App Questions

• Awaiting best answer

• 0 votes
      • 2 answers
    • Question: Google Assistant Missing Passkey

Attempting to connect Google Assistant to LG OLED TV  from android phone and keep get missing passkey or PIN error message.  Where would you find the relevant passkey or PIN and what should it be set. Bluetooth works fine with all other devices except 65B8.  

By d2pcayl, in LG webOS Smart TV Questions

• Awaiting best answer
      • 0 votes
      • 2 answers