Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

Sign in to follow this  
NewsDummy

PreCentral: Time, Inc. officially calls it quits on TouchPad; Time, People, SI, and Fortune to go dark

Time, Inc. officially calls it quits on TouchPad

If there's anybody close to as embarrassed as HP is by how things have gone with regards to the TouchPad, it's got to be the partners they dragged up on that stage at Think Beyond last year. One such partner was Time, Inc., with their then Chief Digital Officer Randall Rothenberg spending a good amount of time on stage talking about and demoing Time's new apps for the TouchPad.

Shortly after launch, apps for Time Magazine, People, Sports Illustrated, and Fortune all landed in the App Catalog, bringing the full magazines and a suite of interactive content plus online subscription options to TouchPad owners. Fast forward seven months and things have changed, with Time giving warning that they're pulling the plug on all four of their TouchPad apps. That means that the Time Magazine, People, Sports Illustrated, and Fortune apps are all due to go dark. The end-of-days date for these apps? March 10, less than three weeks from today.

Time plans to refund users for issues they won't be able to download, and we see no indication that Time's magazines won't be available through other channels (such as Zinio). For now the apps all work, but that won't be the case for long. We're guessing Time hasn't had the same uptake with their subscription service as other free news providers have had on the TouchPad. But that's okay, you'll still be able to use the Time app on iOS, Android, BlackBerry, and Bada. Wait, Bada? Really?

mf.gif
emailthis2.gif bookmark.gif

a2.imga2t.imgd9-8FT6gz-U

View the full article

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Forum Topics

• Question: Date and Time needs to be set everytime

When I want to play Youtube videos, I need to set date and time every time. Even if "set automatically" option is kept selected it doesn't work. why? Is there a way out?

By Sandip Nath, in LG webOS Smart TV Questions

• Awaiting best answer

• 0 votes
      • 0 answers
    • LG selects Korbyt platform as webOS signage partner

This new combination will provide LG customers with a complete digital signage solution in the form of multi-functional displays without the need for additional external devices. The RMG Networks Korbyt platform has been selected as a webOS signage partner of global electronics giant LG. The combination will provide LG customers with a complete digital signage solution in the form of multi-functional displays without the need for additional external devices. It will also allow content managed within the Korbyt platform to be displayed directly onto webOS powered LG screens of all sizes, even mobile phones, thanks to the platform’s mobile app extension. In addition, LG’s clients already using webOS Signage can now choose to use the Korbyt platform for all their enterprise visual communications. Korbyt clients with a preference for LG webOS Signage can stay true to their choice of display hardware. Korbyt is RMG Networks’ state-of-the-art content management system for digital signage. It was developed with the aim of reinventing visual content creation, management and publishing across the widest possible range of digital end points. Featuring an intuitive user interface, including a drag-and-drop content creator, this cloud-based CMS engine enables companies to create immersive interactive visual communication applications which are reshaping customer, and employee, experiences. webOS Signage is LG’s Linux kernel-based multitasking operating system for smart devices, such as smart TVs, acting as a media player for digital signage applications. It can now leverage key capabilities of the Korbyt platform, providing users with access to a wealth of options for segmented realtime data and content visualisation around the globe. It can all be managed efficiently from one central or multiple locations via an intuitive web-based portal. Ben Johnston, vice president of product management at RMG Networks, said: “We are excited to be extending the reach of our Korbyt digital signage platform to LG webOS powered displays, and to be working with a huge company like LG. We recognise the quality, convenience, and performance that LG webOS provides to customers. “Combined with our industry-leading data integration and content creation features, customers now have access to a powerful digital signage solution without the need for an external media player. This is a game-changing development for the digital signage industry.” Source: https://www.avinteractive.com/news/business/lg-selects-korbyt-platform-webos-signage-partner-18-07-2018/

By Alex, in LG webOS for Signage

• 0 replies
    • Question: Using headphones and TV speakers at same time

I have an LG OLED55C6P TV. Because of hearing difficulties, I generally use bluetooth headphones when watching the TV.  As far as I have been able to determine, there appears to be no way to use the headphones and also have the TV speakers working at the same time. This means that if I'm watching TV, no one else can watch and listen unless they have headphones.  Am I missing something?  Is there a way to have the headphones and TV speakers working at the same time?

By Symbiodin, in LG webOS Smart TV Questions

• Awaiting best answer
      • 0 votes
      • 3 answers
    • LG Smart TV Time Machine transfer file to HDD?

I have recorded files from my LG Smart TV Time Machine that I would like to transfer to a hard drive. But there isn't an option for dragging the files into the hard drive.   The shows that I recorded aren't TV shows but instead are personal old recorded videos (like are 10+ years old) from an old camcorder that used a miniDV tape. And I used Time Machine's recording feature to turn it into a digital file so the tapes could be stored digitally.   Right now the recordings are in the TV. And I have my HDD plugged in. If only there was a way to transfer them over.   Thanks

By kitkatyj, in LG webOS Smart TV Discussion

• 2 replies
    • webOS OSE on HP Touchpad?

With the release of webOS OSE, I'm wondering if it's able to run on the HP Touchpad. I wonder if someone will attempt to port it over.   Might give me a reason to pull out the old Touchpad, currently have an older Android system on it and haven't messed with it in over a year.

By ajmboy, in HP TouchPad

• 0 replies