Quantcast

[AI EXPERIENCE] THE PUBLIC PERCEPTION OF AI

AI-Experience_01-600x333.jpg

In this first of six episodes of AI Experience, we’ll take a closer look at the influence of public perception in the future direction of artificial intelligence.

The European Union’s recent proposals to strictly regulate the use of artificial intelligence in its borders are likely to have significant consequences on AI development. The guidelines are designed to address the human and societal rights that may be at risk due to AI’s potential in surveillance and identification. For nations and people to make the right decisions, it’s important that there be public discourse on what AI is and what it should be.

LG Electronics has already begun this process.

Developed last year in partnership between LG and Element AI, the report covers the challenges of the artificial intelligence experience (AIX) across the six core themes of public perception, ethics, transparency, user experience, context and relationship.

Public perception, the way people think and feel about a subject, plays an important role in the kind of AI products and services consumers choose to adopt. This, in turn, influences the direction of AI development and advancement. For example, if consumers are obsessed with intelligent toasters, there’s a strong chance many AI companies will pour their resources into coming up with a new AI toaster that can top the current AI toaster. Here, we’ll take a look at five areas that greatly influence the public’s opinion and awareness of AI: news and pop culture, language, marketing, design and education.

AI-Experience_02-600x333.jpg

News and Pop Culture

From 1927’s Metropolis to 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) to Ex Machina in 2015, AI rarely paints a bright future that offers us hope. Although there are many stories in the news media about how AI is improving lives, there are as many that portray the technology as the villain, stealing jobs and futures. Those involved in developing the technology are acutely aware of the impact this has on consumer confidence and trust, and just how important it is to separate fact from fiction when communicating AI.

Language

AI-Experience_03.jpg

Words can sometimes be open to interpretation, and this seems to be especially true where AI is concerned. The world “learning” could make a person believe that a machine that “learns” can do far more than what it was programmed to do, creating fear and mistrust. As AI is such a vague and amorphous concept for many, companies in the AI sector need to take great care when describing their products and services, leaving no room for misunderstanding. Choosing words wisely may help to better deliver the promise of AI.

Marketing

On a daily basis, consumers are exposed to marketing that promotes AI products and services – most of which offer convenience by managing simple tasks independently or with little user input. But there are many situations where the marketing suggests these innovations will revolutionize users’ way of life, which raises expectations for AI beyond what is currently possible. The overpromising marketing bubble can lead to disappointment and negatively affect public perception, fueling a phenomenon known as AI winter.

AI-Experience_04.jpg

AI winter refers to setbacks in the development of AI resulting from a lack of enthusiasm and interest among consumers and investors. Because the technology is not advancing as fast as people had hoped, and doesn’t yet resemble the AI of Hollywood movies, companies should be wary of overstating what their offerings can do. In this way, they can avoid contributing to negative public sentiment and allow users to fully appreciate what the technology can deliver right now.

Design

AI-Experience_05.jpg

The experience that users have when interacting with AI is another critical element in determining public perception. Personal AIX stories – good and bad – are shared every day on social media, reconfirming people’s positive or negative perceptions and influencing the opinions of those who have yet to use any AI-based solutions. To ensure better experiences with AI, the adoption of a human-centered approach to AI design is critical. A thorough examination of what consumers need and desire, as well as pain points that detract from a product’s value, are essential to the development of capabilities that deliver greater practical value in daily life.

Education

AI-Experience_06.jpg

“Technology literacy is not only important for the people who are building the systems to help them think about the impact of what they’re building,” said Charles Lee Isbell, Dean of the College of Computing at the Georgia Institute of Technology. “It is at least as important, perhaps more important that we teach people who are not going to build those systems, but are going to be impacted by those systems.”

The more the public is educated about AI, the faster it will adapt to and appreciate the benefits the technology can bring. Conversely, more education will also help the public understand what AI isn’t and that the machine overlord takeover will not be the inevitable consequence of letting a smart speaker into the home.

AI-Experience_07.jpg

At the end of the day, there are a variety of factors that impact the public’s perception of AI and the impact of that perception is larger than one might be led to think. Through consumer-centric AIX, companies can help create a path to where the direction and development of AI results in the greatest benefit to humankind.

# # #

link hidden, please login to view

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By News Reporter
      According to the report Global EV Outlook 2021, sales of electric vehicles (EV) around the world grew 41 percent in 2019 and despite the downturn in overall car sales in 2020 due to the pandemic, EV sales still managed to increase 4.6 percent in 2020. It’s this USD 120 billion industry that LG had in mind when it launched its Vehicle component Solutions (VS) Company in 2013 to target the growing trend of electrified vehicles. Now eight years on, LG is seeing a very bright future for its EV-focused business unit, reporting a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 21.2 percent in period covering 2019 to 2020.

With such success follows much interest.
      LG’s VS Company is proud to announce its new website to actively communicate with global partners and interested consumers about its current business and future innovation. This new site is completely dedicated to mobility and focuses on LG’s innovative technologies and products related to the fast-growing segment of electric vehicles.
      The new website introduces EV-related information selectively so that the company’s business partners can find related information more conveniently. Business partners also can make use of the useful Inquiry menu option to get answers to various business-related questions. And other visitors including interested customers can find specific information they’re looking for more easily.

Upon entering the site, visitors are presented with four main menus – Cockpit Electronics, Connectivity, Automotive Vision System (AVS) and Future Innovation – in which LG’s main technological strengths in mobility are highlighted. Cockpit Electronics includes LG’s automotive display and cockpit domain controller innovations, Connectivity covers telematics and wireless charging, AVS includes information on vehicle cameras and Future Innovation focuses primarily on the digital cockpit.

In addition to the diverse content related to mobility technology, the website also includes news and a blog to tell LG’s mobility story to a new audience. In addition to this site, interested parties can also find more information on LG Vehicle component Solutions on social media at its page.
      # # #

• By News Reporter
      The last year and a half have been the ultimate test of resilience for everyone and HR at LG has been at the forefront of managing these difficult times. Throughout the pandemic, the HR team navigated new ways for employees and management to work as the company has been forced to rethink and adapt to the new environment.
      Here at LG, the health and safety of our employees are our highest priorities. In this regard, we have always led by example such as the time we made the difficult decision to be the first multinational company to , the largest trade show in the industry, at the start of the pandemic as we felt it was the only way of ensuring the safety of our employees, customers and partners.

Since early last year, LG’s HR teams across the globe have been reinforcing business and organization sustainability as well as continuous internal communication and transparency at all levels. It is this close alignment in direction that has allowed HR to act swiftly and provide invaluable support across the organization and to our valued employees since the very beginning.
      To provide the best working environment possible, aligning LG’s HR leaders around the world immediately proved vital, with constantly open and transparent communication making this all possible. To guarantee that our global HR teams were on the same page, we created specific communication channels to deliver video presentations on the direction of our global HR strategy as well as employing more frequent virtual face-to-face discussions with HR leaders from around the globe.

As well as taking care of employees’ physical health, LG made an equal effort to support their psychological and mental health. In India, one of the countries hit particularly hard, we went above and beyond to support the physical and mental health of our staff. First step was to implement a Happy Calling system which involved our HR staff calling each employee every four to five days to check on their well-being and ensure that they and their families are safe and well looked after. This system allowed us to help employees from the privacy of their homes by accepting all questions and requests confidentially.

For global employees working from home, we wanted them to stay connected and collaborate as a team. To foster this, we hosted various online group activities including remote yoga classes, virtual lunches, happy hours and online cooking lessons for the whole family. We implemented various new programs because of our firm belief in the importance of human connections among employees. We have faith that these activities help our employees take on one of the most difficult times in modern history.
      Our health and well-being initiatives are not entirely new as we have been carrying out such activities for some time. These activities were already in place to cultivate growth among employees all around the world, regardless of their location. As a purpose- and principle-oriented company, LG’s people management philosophy pursues personal and professional growth in every single aspect, including health and well-being.

As the global head of HR at LG, my focus has always been on supporting LG Electronics and its talented workers and preparing them for the future by transforming the way we work together, nurturing the talent and capabilities of our people so that we may succeed and grow together in a fast, innovative and highly competitive market.
      The pandemic showed us the importance of this goal in all its clarity.
      By Carlos Olave, LG Global HR Leader
      # # #

• By tobiasm
      I registered this account literally because I am frustrated with you LG. I need you to change because I'm tired of buying other devices to replace features you have promised and not delivered.

I really want to use your OS and apps on my TV but you make it too hard. The user experience for navigation and writing is terrible. This has to improve or I won't use it. I will not spend my time on this when it's much easier on other systems, but I want to use your system. Please help me and your other customers.

On any device, it should be very easy to type
      * a password to connect the TV to a wireless network
      * search terms when browsing apps on the app store and in other search engines on the device

To be clear, I really tried to figure this out on my own before coming here but found it too difficult to give them another chance.  I used the onscreen keyboard and ThingQ app.

The first problem is extreme. Absolutely extreme. Using the onboard keyboard to write in the wifi password is a nightmare. I have secure passwords that are long and which combine upper and lower case characters and special characters. I will NOT lower my security in order to make it easier to use your keyboard. The problem is on your end so you fix this.

There's something in this for you too, LG: Letting us connect by WiFi is undoubtedly going to be the most preferred option for most users, regardless of how technical they are, and it is definitely the biggest barrier to your app store having any chance of success. You won't get users if people can't connect and download apps. 

Right now my options are
      * suffer through this user experience of using the onscreen keyboard
      * making my wifi password less secure
      * using the Apple TV instead

I'm going for the Apple TV instead, and I bet your customers are doing the same. It's time to look into why they do this.

The second problem is also really serious. Typing in any search word using the onscreen password is in fact also too painful. Using the ThinQ app with the cursor did not make things easier. I honestly don't know why you chose to put a cursor in this app instead of letting me navigate with buttons like on a TV remote controller but it's unpleasant. Very unpleasant. I don't think of my TV as a computer and neither should you. The cursor is an unwanted and poor choice for navigation on a TV screen. Stick to navigation keys: up, down, left, right. User test it and see for yourself. People will NOT prefer the cursor over navigation keys.

Again, this also impacts usage of your other services, so if you want people to use them you need to make this easier. Please.

Here's how you stack up right now to the competition. My alternative device right now is an Apple TV and it makes this much easier. I reckon a Roku and Chromecast do similar magic, at least I recall Chromecast being wonderful on an older Android 4 device I had years ago.

When setting up the Apple TV I can choose to connect to it with my smartphone immediately using their apps. I don't know if it's on bluetooth or something else but it's not wifi and it works well. Once connected I can use my keyboard on the smartphone to write input for the TV and connect it to my WiFi and search within apps for my favourite TV shows, movies and the list goes on. 

This makes it much easier to search and of course to paste in passwords from my phone to the TV. 
      In my case I have a password bank called Bitwarden. Other users probably have at least the built-in password managers from Apple and Google.

You want me to be able to do the same on your LG TV but the aforementioned reasons are why that's never going to happen. Never. Until you change this I will not give your OS another chance. 

Here's my recommendation:
      Similar to Apple you should have an app for setting up the TV that connects over bluetooth. WiFi is not an option. Remember that we want to use our phones to type in the WiFi password since it is easier and it will let us copy paste in passwords from our phones.

What options are there for this? I bet bluetooth is an option amongst others. Please figure this out. 

My biggest hope is that you will actually do some user research: Make prototypes and test them with real people. Ask them to try to use your apps and listen to their feedback.  Ask them if they can connect to WiFi, why not if they can't, and listen to what they say. 

User research is cheap and it works. Please do it. 
    • By News Reporter
      In this final episode of our six-part AI Experience series, we examine the dynamics of the human-AI relationship and what that will mean for the evolution of the technology.
      Throughout history, humans have always been masters of the technologies and machines they have created. But with artificial intelligence, the dynamics of this relationship may change. Distinct from other technologies in that it can learn from interactions and usages, AI is perhaps most recognizable today as the virtual assistants we call by name when we want something, whether that be information or the kitchen lights to turn off. As AI continues to evolve, it is expected to outgrow this role as helper to become more of a companion.

Even now, AI-enabled devices are able to provide some degree of companionship. For the elderly or others living on their own, products such as smart speakers can offer a valuable sense of connection, responding verbally to queries in more conversational ways. Beyond the comfort of another voice and the feeling of a sympathetic (and synthetic) ear, AI machines can also provide a degree of safety by connecting users to relevant services when needed. If we take that one step further, AI systems will in the future be able to perceive changes in our behavior to determine our moods and respond appropriately, making it easy for humans to forget that they’re still communicating with a machine.
      Below, we take a look at five different areas concerning the constantly evolving relationship between humans and AI. 

Collaboration
      Human-AI collaboration is already having an impact on how we perform tasks and make decisions, although its scope is somewhat limited at this time. Once the technology has reached a certain point where we can better understand context, motivation and non-verbal cues, AI will then be able to contribute to genuinely collaborative endeavors, meaningfully helping us to increase our capabilities and knowledge in almost every arena imaginable.
      “We are all interesting creatures, not because we exist in a vacuum and we can just think on ourselves, we’re interesting because we interact with others,” said Charles Lee Isbell Jr., dean of computing at Georgia Institute of Technology. “We learn by interacting with others, they get transferred knowledge generation to generation. And I think that is sort of where the sweet spot is around AI.”

Learning
      Collection of data is crucial to machine learning and its continuing improvement. Going forward, it’s critical that what AI learns should be made as transparent as possible. Experts from a diverse range of disciplines should be actively involved throughout AI’s development to ensure the learning process itself is robust, representative and ethically sound. Learning about AI and its implications is something everyone – not just those directly involved in its creation – should invest time in, as education may help us to predict and avert future challenges and threats.
      Professor Zafiroglu of 3A Institute advocates a multidisciplinary approach, urging the next generation of AI practitioners to “go out into the world and work in a variety of settings, from policy and industry to academia and education at the non-university level to think tanks as well as product and strategy teams.” Incorporating different perspectives and learnings into AI will help to forge intelligent systems that can work with, as well as for us. 

Empathy
      Having empathy means the ability to understand and share someone else’s feelings, a distinctly human trait. For AI to be able to detect the emotional state of a user and respond appropriately, it will need the capacity to recognize body language, tone of voice and most probably, physiological changes. Once it can do all of these things, and accurately interpret the demands of the specific context, AI will become immeasurably more helpful. For instance, recognizing an individual’s concern about a job interview, an empathetic AI could help alleviate this concern by generating a list of interview questions, providing feedback on answers or recommending the optimal route to the interview venue.
      With the obvious benefits of an AI with high emotional quotient also come considerable risks with regards to privacy so a safety net should be put in place to prevent its misuse. The European Union and many governments worldwide are currently addressing the question of how to ensure effective oversight for high risk AI technologies. At the same time, the companies providing these technologies will need to demonstrate that next to delivering value, user safety is their main concern. 

Fallibility
      As with any relationship, the human-AI relationship will require time and effort to develop properly. Humans must accept that AI will take a certain amount of time to learn from and adapt to their behaviors and preferences and to acquire new skills. Users should also understand that fallibility is not a one way street as AI is learning from them. Users also have to contend with any biases, preconceptions or misconceptions they may have, which can affect the nature or outcome of an interaction.
      Whether AI incorporates bias purposefully or not, we must consider the consequential nature of decisions that AI systems are making. Either way, our relationship with AI will be just like our relationship with each other. In other words, it’s going to take time and effort.

Interface
      The way we interact with an AI solution is directly influenced by the design of its interface. Some forms of AI are more collaborative in nature, requiring frequent human input to deliver maximum value, while others run quietly in the background, automating our lives and supporting us with infrequent interaction. Different types of systems obviously necessitate different kinds of interfaces but it must ultimately be intuitive to use if it is to gain greater acceptance and wider adoption. Along with ease of use, interoperability is something that companies must work towards if AI is to flow seamlessly from one area of our lives to another.

“There are no standards of interoperability,” states Gabi Zijdervel, chief marketing officer and head of product strategy at Affectiva. “I believe a consortium of industry will have to come together to solve this, cross-vertical and cross-use cases.”
      Although some still fear that AI will replace actual humans, the more likely future is one companionship and partnership. With the foundation already in place, we can look forward to a more equal and rewarding relationship with AI, not to mention a shining new chapter in the history of humankind.

For more on this topic, visit . Developers and potential partners interested in LG’s ThinQ Platform should check out .
      # # #

• By News Reporter
      Delivering Efficient, Responsive Cloud-based Customer Service
      Solution With the Help of Amazon Connect and Genesys Cloud

SEOUL, July 8, 2021 — LG Electronics (LG) announced the opening of its new Cloud Call Center in the United States, elevating the company’s rapid digital transformation while further improving the quality and efficiency of its customer service. Following North America, LG plans to open Cloud Call Centers in a dozen additional countries including Australia, Brazil, Canada, France, Italy and Vietnam this year and in its home market of South Korea in early 2022.
      Implementation of the cloud-based system will create a better customer experience and more positive outcome. The system allows LG’s customer service representatives to work collaboratively and effectively from different locations, eliminating the need to be in the same physical space, reducing the likelihood of a quarantine situation. And with new speech to text (STT) capability that quickly and accurately converts voice calls into written text, customer service representatives can easily and quickly research and respond to reoccurring issues and repeat questions.
      If there is a backlog due to a high call volume, the Cloud Call Center suggests an alternative faster option, such as “talking” to a chatbot on LG’s customer service site or another social media platform. An accurate estimate of the wait time will be available in the near future. The system is powered by either Amazon Connect or Genesys Cloud.
      “LG’s new Cloud Call Center actively upgrades and refines our service delivery and helps us to ensure the best possible customer outcomes,” said Yoo Kyu-moon, executive director of the Customer Service Management Center at LG Electronics. “With more helpful options to choose from, LG customers can receive the support they need in the way they prefer to receive it.”
      # # #