Quantcast

[ON THE JOB] DIGITAL DESIGNERS: TURNING IMAGINATION INTO REALITY

Digital-Designers-01.jpg

This is first installment of ‘On the Job’, where we put the spotlight on some of the talented and creative individuals in the global LG family. Today we take a look at the important role played by the company’s innovative digital designers.

As any creator or inventor will agree, taking an idea and turning it into something real is no small feat. When it comes to creating a new product, it is the role of the digital designer to translate the concepts, sketches and plans generated during the design process into a three-dimensional representation of what the finished article might look like. Giving virtual or physical form to something that does not yet exist can be just as challenging as it sounds and it’s the job of LG’s digital design professionals to turn imagination into reality.

Digital-Designers-02.jpg

While pen and paper will always have their place in design, digital designers normally utilize more advanced tools such as virtual reality (VR), augmented reality (AR) and 3D printers to give shape to projects. VR makes it possible to realistically simulate how a product will actually look and feel, offering valuable insights that looking at a drawing or inspecting a 3D-model on a computer screen simply cannot deliver. LG’s designers even create virtual environments based on real living spaces so that prior to a design being finalized, they can accurately assess the product’s ability to spatially and aesthetically harmonize with a range of different interior styles and configurations.

Digital-Designers-03.jpg

The selecting of colors, materials and finishes is a crucial part of the design process and can mean the difference between how a product is perceived and received by consumers. Digital designers provide valuable support in this area as well. The work of LG’s digital designers were instrumental in getting the green light to make a reality.

Digital-Designers-04.jpg

The arrival of 3D printing has made the essential step of transforming a product’s design into a tangible model considerably easier for digital design pros. The ability to create three-dimensional drafts of products which can be touched as well as viewed helps LG’s designers identify areas that need further consideration faster than ever before. 3D printing not only reduces the need to rework designs, it also shortens the overall product development time, allowing LG to bring products to consumers faster.

Digital-Designers-05.png

As LG digital designer Lim Hwi-tae explains it, “The role of a digital designer is to create something out of nothing, to take an image or a world that exists only in the imagination and bring it to life using technologies such as VR and 3D printing.

“Our biggest goal as digital design practitioners is to shorten the amount of time it takes to bring new and improved products to market,” said Ryu Byoung-gi, another dedicated digital designer at LG. “The detailed digital visualizations we produce during the product development phase help to make that happen, and that’s something we’re all very proud of.”

By turning the imaginary into reality in less time, LG’s digital designers continue to make significant contributions to the realization of the company’s global, consumer-centric mission – to create innovation for a better life.

# # #

link hidden, please login to view

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By OnlyCORE
      Hey, I have a LG OLED65CX TV (latest WebOS) and  some photos from my Synology NAS are not loading, only in thumbnails like this:

Most photos work perfectly but some not. They are scans from a photobook and then individually cut in Zoner but that shouldn't matter right? Here are properties of one of the photos

I really don't know the reason my TV and it makes me really mad since it took a long time co scan these.
      Weird thing is I also scanned other positive film photos and they work great on TV.
      Do you know what might be the problem?
    • By Krash01
      Dear Readers,

I've a strange issue that I've been struggling for a week. I bought an LG43UJ634V UHD TV and an LG LHB645N Home Theater in a Box system.
      I use HDMI ARC to connect the audio from the TV to receiver. LG has an option to chose between PCM or Auto at the Digital output settings.

If I use the PCM option everything sounds great, but I don't have 5.1, only 2.1.
      And here comes the problem. When I choose Auto, 5.1 is on, sounds great but I have occasional popping noise (like when play something on an old LP player) it happens random, but for example during a film, it is very annoying. It happens with YouTube, Netflix, DLNA streaming, external devices, so the content doesn't matter. I think I've tried everything. I tested it with different HDMI cables, optical cable, but still have the problem. I tested it with a sound bar as well, the problem is the same.
      When I play content from the receiver, there is no problem, the sound is wonderful, no popping. Also, the TVs speakers are okay.

I don't think it is a hardware issue, because the TV's sound is OK, the home theater's sound is OK, the problem only happens when I want to use the digital output of the TV (either HDMI ARC or Optical) with auto setting.
      I called LG as well, the rep. said the she will pass this info to the technical team.

Do you have any idea, that it can be solved, or I need to wait for a software update?
    • By AC1050
      I play video files from a USB stick via the Photos and Videos app - is there any way to show which files have been played most recently? I generally watch downloaded series but tend to forget which episode I watched last!
    • By News Reporter
      SEOUL, Apr. 7, 2021 — LG Electronics Inc. (LG) today announced its preliminary earnings results for the first quarter of 2021.
      LG reported tentative consolidated revenues of KRW 18.8 trillion in the first quarter of 2021 with an operating profit of KRW 1.5 trillion. Revenue and operating profit increased 27.7 percent and 39.2 percent, respectively, from the same quarter the previous year.
      Both quarterly revenue and operating profit are the highest in the company’s history.
      These figures are the tentative consolidated earnings based on K-IFRS provided as a service to investors prior to LG Electronics’ final earnings results including net profit. Details regarding each division which will be announced officially later this month.
      # # #

• By News Reporter
      Life as we knew it may never be the same again. More time spent at home has piqued the interest of consumers looking to adopt a more intelligent way of living. This growing desire for seamless, connected, “work and play” environments is what is bringing the future faster to consumers today. Fortune Business Insights predicts1 the smart home market to reach USD 622.59 billion by 2026. In fact, that’s barely scratching the surface if LG ThinQ as anything to say about it.

What makes the smart technology less daunting today is because now everyone has a smartphone. And through that smartphone, consumers can control all aspects of their connected devices from the bed, the car or the office. The fact that the app has been downloaded over 30 million times is proof that there is an audience that’s hungry for the conveniences offered by smart products. But what conveniences are we talking about here?
      Well, in one research study, LG ThinQ app users in the US said they were most satisfied with the app’s remote-control capabilities.2 Although some smart appliances such as robot vacuums are able to do the work for you, there still isn’t a washing machine that can pick up dirty clothes off the floor or a refrigerator that stocks itself. But just being able to control and monitor the home ecosystem from any location brings a whole new dimension of convenience.

The LG ThinQ app was designed to seamlessly connect with the company’s AI-enabled products and services, giving the user full visibility and access to all compatible home appliances while home or on the go. One Korean user discovered LG ThinQ to be an invaluable solution for her laundry routine. “With remote control and monitoring, I can set the washing machine to finish according to my schedule, which means I’m always free to take the laundry out immediately. I no longer have to worry about smelly or wrinkled clothes,” the user said.3

Proactive Customer Care (PCC) and Smart Diagnosis expand the user experience and is another key way ThinQ has made customers’ lives easier. After self-diagnosing every connected appliance on the system, the ThinQ app alerts users and relays insightful suggestions and tips for maintaining their products’ peak performance, such as changing the filter at appropriate times. “It’s great to have the ThinQ app on hand to remind me when it’s time to replace the air purifier filter,” said one participant in the survey. Instead of having to call in and wait hours (or days) for a service technician to visit, PCC and Smart Diagnosis help users identify and resolve the issues themselves. One ThinQ user noted, “Thanks to the PCC feature I’m able to receive alerts on my parent’s appliances so I can do all the maintenance work for them.”

Beyond adding value, LG smart home solutions are delivering more environmentally friendly features to match the priorities of environmentally-conscious consumers. In fact, energy-saving capabilities are one of the top drivers for American consumers switching from conventional devices to smart home products, according to the survey.
      On the LG ThinQ app, energy monitoring dashboards displaying monthly usage information are available for every appliance so that users can see where they might be able to save energy by modifying their behavior. “I can never remember if I shut the refrigerator door all the way or switched the TV off,” admitted an environmental advocate who participated in the research. “Being able to check and control all of this on my phone is a huge relief.”
      Vacation mode is another proven way to minimize energy use in the home when empty, and features such as Active Save perform tasks like measuring refrigerator openings throughout the day so that refrigerators can switch from low to high power modes automatically, all according to when the user prefers using them.

The ThinQ app is constantly evolving to better meet consumer needs. Additional features to be introduced in the 1st half of this year include Scan-To-Cook and Meal Kit orders which take the stress out of planning and preparing meals at home. Future features and services will focus on delivering the freedom and convenience that make LG customers’ lives measureably more comfortable than without ThinQ.
      Learn more about LG’s smart appliances and the ThinQ app at .
      # # #
      2 Kantar survey commissioned by LG surveyed 500 respondents with household incomes within the top 60 percentile in New York City, Los Angeles and Chicago.
      3 Nielsen survey commissioned by LG interviewed 40 Korean IoT brand users between ages 20-44.