Quantcast

• Own an LG TV or webOS device? Join our Forum!

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

Andy Maile

Is this what is called “picture noise”?

Question

Watching Dracula on the BBC , all very dark scenes went almost “abstract”, like watching Top of the Pops during the 1970’s.  Is this what is called “picture noise”? TV is a brand new LG65”C9PLA. How can I eliminate this as it makes watching almost impossible?

Edited by Alex
Changed topic title to actual issue
  • Confused 1

4 answers to this question

Do you have a picture of the issue? The number one problem I hated on my original 2015 LG OLED was colour banding which was largely solved on my subsequent 2018 C8 by the decontouring Quad Step Noise Reduction (activated via the MPEG Noise Reduction on my TV but with a separate menu on the C9). I find the “Auto” setting to be best but with the function switched off, I find LG OLED TVs practically unwatchable!  The pictures below show the colour banding when, unbelievably, LG deactivated the QSNR within a software update in Spring 2019. It took me writing to them incessantly to get them to admit to what they had done. It was corrected with the next update. I now NEVER allow the TV to be updated to the next software version without checking online with other users that the QSNR is still functioning...F8677C30-E5EB-4F3B-B5BF-14F636BE203D.thumb.jpeg.b5639d1520366e22321a9aaae6a90237.jpeg64EAFA94-2851-4C4E-9490-9E2A37A67712.thumb.jpeg.34d40ea067e631d23e72d69a56a58531.jpeg

Here is a picture of the issue. If you close in above Offreds left shoulder you can see it. This was a series that I downloaded off Prime. It’s not Dolby Vision or UHD which seem ok.  Also the red dress dress worn by Offred fades from red to dark purple in dark scenes. B3E5A875-16F4-47B5-A3EE-5155A4DB5060.thumb.jpeg.ef979e4e60c58ffc247262f5fbcc6a6e.jpeg

What I see there is colour banding which the Quad Step Noise Reduction (decontouring) function should sort out unless the picture is really poor quality (compressed). On my C8 the QSNR is activated via the MPEG Noise Reduction in various stages from Low to High plus Auto. I set mine to Auto as no point in having extra processing unless you need it. I think Quad Step Noise Reduction is called “Smooth Gradation” on the C9 menus as LG separated the QSNR from MPEG Noise Reduction for the 2019 model year.  The best way to check if QSNR is working is to go onto the Sky blue Home screen and see if there are faint colour banding / contour shadow-like lines in the blue background. When switching on QSNR these contour shadowy lines disappear. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.