Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

Sign in to follow this  
NewsDummy

PreCentral: App Catalog finally gets dedicated online search thanks to dedicated user

App Catalog finally gets dedicated online search thanks to dedicated user

Eighteen months ago HP shut down the public App Catalog feeds, putting an end to one of our favorite features on the site: the browser-based App Gallery. The reasoning offered at the time was that HP's enterprise customers were concerned about security and to prep things for the impending TouchPad launch, it didn't help that the XML feed format used by HP was reaching its limits in terms of manageable size. While there have been fits and starts at HP to reanimate open App Catalog access in the form of an API, that seems to have more or less fallen by the wayside. Without an accessible feed or API, searching the App Catalog comes down to Google.

HP's left their individual web listings for the App Catalog open and available to the public, but there's not yet been a public-accessible centralized listing for the thousands of apps listed. While that's not yet happened, web developer and webOS Nation Forum member pattyland decided to work some Google-fu and created a snazzy little website that lets you search the App Catalog from the comfort and speed of your desktop browser: appcatalog.pattyland.de.

The site uses a custom Google search (specifically: site:developer.palm.com/appredirect [yoursearchtermhere]) to return relevant App Catalog listings per your search terms. The search site has the option to sort by relevance or date (the most recently updated pages at the top) and presents everything in a design meant to evoke the TouchPad user interface.

The site's already secured a place in our bookmarks, and if you're the type that frequently shares the direct URL for App Catalog apps, it's a site you should consider giving some attention as well.

mf.gif
emailthis2.gif bookmark.gif

a2.imga2t.img3Xj-5h6olN4

View the full article

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Forum Topics

• Some gaming features & settings cleanup for 2017/2018 OLED's

Auto Low Latency Mode  -  this auto activates game mode, very handy to have on a dual use games console. ALLM only engages game mode preset when a game runs, otherwise it defaults to user select preset better suited for video. Currently supported by Xbox. Picture Mode Settings->Black Level has no Auto setting - it would be handy to have this instead of having to manually set it. For example the standard PS4 requires the black level in High mode for it to work with HDR, a PC would also use High not Low mode. Picture Mode Settings->Colour Gamut in the game mode preset forces wide colour gamut in SDR mode, this is wrong it should be set to Auto by default. The 2017/2018 OLED's support 120Hz output hidden under PC preset, please consider adding [email protected] and [email protected] support to the game mode preset. These are currently supported by Xbox. All of the above are do-able with no hardware changes needed, please consider them and the added value it brings to being an LG TV owner. One other feature which probably wont wouldn't work is Freesync, but if that could be software patched into existing models that would be a great selling point but it seems unlikely.

By Void Toast, in LG webOS Wish List

• 0 replies
    • HDMI 2.1 features for 49UH770T

Well, HDMI 2.1 is the new standard which is coming out soon with next generation TVs. We would like to know if any or some features of new standard could be implemented on present standard TV’s. I am more of a gamer and YouTube lover . love to see variable refresh rate and what it does for gaming is incredible. LG please let us know the possibility of new features that could come for present standard TVs...... thank you...

By Krishna Kanth, in LG webOS Wish List

• 1 reply
    • Question: OLED Gallery app?

Hello all I have a non-OLED 4K model running webOS 3.5. Earlier today, while visiting an electronics store, I noticed that current LG webOS OLED models have what appears to be an app called 'OLED gallery', which displays art and atmospheric pictures. I wonder if this is really a distinct app or some kind of preinstalled content...and if it is an app, whether there'd be any way to install it on non-OLED models like mine?

By Black_Kettle, in LG webOS Smart TV Questions

• Awaiting best answer
      • 0 votes
      • 1 answer
    • [Missing Features] LG 650V

Hi,   I bought a 47 inch 650V TV a week ago and I noticed that this SmarTV has a huge potential but still lacks very basic features. So I hope that I don't regret buying this TV if a update don't gives us some really great improvements.   * First of all, WebOS it's slow. It really needs a huge performance improvement. Im not a BETA tester. If the system it's not ready, they should have hold it for a while and hire some inside beta testers.   * Youtube app doesn't play videos in HD. Compared to my AppleTV, the difference it's huge. This is a 1080p SmartTV and there's not a single option on Youtube to play everything in 1080p or at least, 720p.   * Audio Output only gives us a option to select one instead of a multiple sound output. Sometimes I use a Digital Out Surround Systems, and in my old LG TV, I could use the TV Speakers and this digital audio at the same time and only mute the TV. It's the fastest way to use both. In this new smartv, I have go to the audio settings to choose the audio output everytime. For a slow system, it's a really painful solution.   * This TV has Bluetooth built in, and there's not a single option to pair a Keyboard, Mouse or a Audio Device. It's locked to LGs proprietary Bluetooth devices. It's inaceptable since Bluetooth technology is standard and to use a Bluetooth Keyboard/Mouse/A2DP sound I have to get a pack that cames with a USB Bluetooth dongle. So all my BT keyboards and mouses that doesn't have that USB dongle can't be used.   * I own a LG G2 Smartphone and I cannot simple use the LG SmartShare. It's slow and crashes all the time, so sharing my videos and photos to TV it's simple mission impossible. The same goes for Wi-fi Direct. It simply doesn't work. And the same goes for the LG TV Remote App. It's very slow when we try to use the "mouse pointer".   * It's not possible to resize .srt subtitles and tags like <i> and <b> are not recognized by the TV. So not only I can't have Italic and Bold text, but those tags are also added to the subtitles like normal text...   And I notice this with just one week of usage, so obviously there's a lot more things to improve but this features are simple to use on my AppleTV and my LG can't handle them very well. I bought this TV and paid the extra money to get a good SmarTV compared to the 5700 model, with the intention to get rid off the Apple TV... but at this moment I just can't...

By rmz, in LG webOS Wish List

• 4 replies
    • [pivotCE] Public FTP for webOS App Rescue Effort Available Now, Torrent Soon

By now you’ve likely read about the 6000+ webOS apps we’ve managed to put together. The files are on my Box account and the link was shared A LOT. This was great but had its flaws. For instance, you can’t download the entire thing. It’s a limitation from Box. That problem has been solved as there is now a public ftp! We told you it was coming. In February, I received a private message on the webOS Nation forums from user, tylla. Hi Alan, I’m writing to you about the marvelous webOS apps collection that you posted on the forum/box.com.
      We are a small web IT/hosting company, but as two of us (out of total three – yes, that small ) are using webOS phones, we would like to help you with the hosting of those files.
      So I am asking you, is it OK if we provide you with some FTP space? Our server is located in Hungary, and the international bandwidth isn’t the best one, but this would have the benefit, that all those people who want to download all the apps, would have the chance without thousand clicks. Without hesitation I contacted them and started working on the upload and they started working on the solution to make it available. FTP info Browse to ftp://[email protected]/ to see all of the files. You can also point your favorite FTP client to: site: webosftp.qualitis.hu
      username: preanon There is bandwidth limit on it, >2Mbit, and max concurrent user count is 12. Speed concerns The server is in Hungary so folks across the pond might notice some slow downloads. Do you have a public FTP in the US you’d be willing to establish as a mirror? Contact us! My plea Considering the bandwidth and max user limitation above, if you don’t need ALL of the apps, don’t select all and download them. There’s no need to be a bandwidth hog. Get what you want as many times a day as you want just be considerate. Thanks! Box account Since I was using my personal Box account for hosting up to this point, I’ll be removing access to it publicly. Sorry! I’m sure you understand. Torrent coming soon Tylla and I are also working on a solution for a torrent file. The only issue is getting the updated torrent out to folks who are rehosting the files. We’re working on that plan too but it’ll likely be a naming convention and updates via here and on our Twitter to get the word out about the change. For your help Thanks a ton for everyone’s help getting these apps saved. Remember, we’re still looking for all of those used-to-be-paid apps that are no longer available. We already have some of the more popular ones (Gameloft, EA, etc). Take a look at the ftp and compare with what you have already installed. If you have apps that the share doesn’t, copy your /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications folder to /media/internal using Internalz Pro, connect your device to a computer via USB mode, and drag the applications folder over and contact me. I’ll make sure they get turned back into an .ipk and uploaded to the FTP. Happy downloading! Talk about this! #webOSforever Related posts: UPDATE – ACL for Touchpad public release delayed…again 6000+ Apps, Abandonware, and More to Come

View the full article from pivotCE

By pivotCE, in pivotCE News

• 0 replies