Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

Sign in to follow this  
NewsDummy

PreCentral: A knock-off too far? HP's new Spectre One is almost slavish in copying of iMac

A knock-off too far? HP's new Spectre One is almost slavish in copying of iMac

HP's been the number one manufacturer of personal computers since they acquired Compaq in 2002. Despite their numbers-based dominance, HP's recognized the threat to their business posed by Apple and the iPad. Having recognized that threat, HP's been working to update their business to respond to Apple - that threat posed by Apple's iPad and other mobile computing devices was exactly why HP spent $1.2 billion to purchase Palm and webOS in 2010 (even if that didn't go quite as planned).

While Samsung's been duking it out int court with Apple over the former's copying of the latter's designs, specifically with respect to the iPhone and iOS, HP's been busy aping the design of Apple's laptops. Just look at HP's Envy laptops, with their machined aluminum bodies and glass-covered display panels. At a glance it can be difficult to differentiate between one of HP's Envy laptops and Apple's MacBook Pro line. One can argue that computers were 'headed in that direction' all they want, but it doesn't change the face that before Apple began achieving success in personal computing (success, in that Mac unit sales have continued to grow while the overall personal computer market experiences a decline - in part thanks to the iPad), this sort of design duplication didn't happen on this wide of a scale.

This morning HP announced the new Spectre One, a new 24-inch all-in-one Windows 8 computer. The Spectre One makes the Envy line's copying of Apple design features seem like a warm-up exercise; the Spectre One is almost a spitting image of Apple's iMac desktop computers, even down to the included wireless keyboard and trackpad. The Spectre One does have a handful of differences from the iMac, such as ports located in the aluminum base, a removable panel on the back, and NFC compatibility, so long as you're using HP's apps on your Android phone. Plus, you know, Windows 8.

HP's been eyeing Apple's products for some time, with the design of the TouchPad being heavily-influenced by the original iPad. HP's webOS tablet mimicked the dimensions, weight, battery life, screen size and resolution, and even the button layout of the iPad. Seemingly unable to predict the direction that Apple would take with future iPads (it always seemed like it'd be rather obvious to us: faster, thinner, longer-lasting, etc), HP chose to use the first generation iPad as the benchmark for the TouchPad. We've only heard bits and pieces about where HP planned to go with the TouchPad line, but word has it the TouchPad 2, well into development when HP pulled the plug on webOS, took further inspiration from Apple, including a higher resolution screen and a thinner and lighter metal body.

HP may be drawing too much design inspiration from the likes of Apple, but are they going to face the same sort of legal action from Apple as Samsung has? It's hard to say, but as we said at the start, HP views Apple as a threat to their business - Apple doesn't seem to be all that fazed by HP.

mf.gif
emailthis2.gif bookmark.gif

a2.imga2t.imgKfe89DbTN8c

View the full article

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Forum Topics

• Question: Auto/fix volume when syncing with Apple AirPods using webos 3.5

Hi guys!   I just spent a while figuring out how to properly sync my Apple AirPods with my LG OLED55B7 (webos 3.5, firmware 04.70.85). The headphones sync with the TV but I am not allowed to adjust the volume up/down with the magic remote while synced , however mute works.   Has anyone using AirPods found a good solution for this problem (meaning not syncing via AppleTV or a separate cast device)? I have read that LG may have limited the possibility to adjust certain bluetooth parameters on non-LG devices so it may be that I am out of luck, but I thought I would give it at try here before I give up.   Thanks for any helpful advice!   Per M

By Per M, in LG webOS Smart TV Questions

• Awaiting best answer
      • 1 vote
      • 1 answer
    • Apple TV support

I'd like to be able to control my AppleTV with my magic remote properly. The Magic remote does control certain features of  the box, it doesn't actively support any Apple product in the drop down list of manufacturers. Surely it can't be that hard to adopt full support, can it? This isn't some 3rd world company we're talking about, it's Apple for goodness sake.

By Art Imus, in LG webOS Wish List

• 1 reply
    • A failed 'iPhone killer' is Qualcomm's new weapon against Apple

The chipmaker owns several patents related to Palm and webOS, and is accusing the iPhone X of copying its user interface. The Palm Pre was one of many purported "iPhone killers" that never stuck. But it still has its fans.  Corinne Schulze/ CNET The legal battle between Apple and Qualcomm just went retro.   The same day that Apple filed a countersuit against Qualcomm, alleging that the chipmaker illegally used Apple battery management technology in Snapdragon processors that went into rival phones, Qualcomm filed three new complaints relating to 16 additional patents against Apple, including asking for the iPhone X to be banned.  But Qualcomm is bringing up a blast from the past in its complaint: the cult classic Palm Pre.  It turns out, Qualcomm in 2014 purchased several patents from Palm, including technology relating to its webOS operating system and user interface. While the Palm Pre, which debuted in 2009 as the purported "iPhone killer," never met the initial hype, Qualcomm is bringing it back as a weapon against Apple. Watch this: Qualcomm now seeks a ban on some Apple iPhone Xs 1:33  This is the latest wrinkle in the escalating fight between the two tech giants. Apple is one of the largest consumer technology companies in the world, with arguably the strongest brand in the industry, while Qualcomm is the world's largest supplier of mobile chips.  At the heart of this fight is a disagreement over how much Apple should pay Qualcomm for technology licenses. Apple believes the fee should be based on a percentage of the Qualcomm modem that goes into the iPhone, while the chipmaker believes the percentage should be based on the value of the entire phone.  Qualcomm alleges that the new iPhone X, which offers users the ability to bring up different windows of apps with a swipe, copies the interface used by the Pre. Qualcomm cites tech sites The Verge and TechCrunch's commentary that compares the iOS operating system to the Pre's "card-based multitasking system."  MORE APPLE VS. QUALCOMM Qualcomm seeks ban on sales of Intel-based iPhone X in US Apple fires back at Qualcomm in lawsuit over battery patents What the Apple-Qualcomm battle means for your next iPhone (FAQ) Other Palm patents involve the ability to autofocus the camera by touching the screen, a simplified single power button and the ability to answer a phone call with a text message. The fresh complaints support Qualcomm's argument that Apple uses more of its technology than just the modem and that other aspects of the iPhone are helped by Qualcomm innovations.  Qualcomm declined to comment beyond the filings.  An Apple spokesman declined to comment beyond its own countersuit. Palm has been on a curious journey to get to this point. The company was originally purchased by Hewlett-Packard, which failed to use webOS as a platform for its own consumer products. LG ended up with webOS as a platform for its televisions, while Chinese TV and phone maker TCL purchased the rights to use the Palm name. 

By Alex, in Palm Pre and Pre Plus

• 0 replies
    • [pivotCE]Qualcomm’s Palm Patents used in lawsuit against Apple over iPhone X

Qualcomm’s at it again.  Renowned for being a world-class patent troll, it’s once again suing Apple over…get this…using Palm Inc. patents it bought in 2014 in the iPhone X. Their big hangup is that the iPhone X borrowed Palm’s user interface or more specifically the interface found on webOS phones like the Palm Pre. Who hasn’t been saying the cards interface was stolen from webOS years ago when we first saw it popping up on Android devices? EVERYONE uses it. From Ubuntu Touch, iOS, Sailfish, BlackBerry 10, Windows Phone, and of course Android, they all use some styling of the cards for multitasking or rather task switching. Their demands? Ban the iPhone X in the US among other things. Yeah….right.  Good luck with that. #webOSforever Related posts: HP attempts to sell Palm patents – again. Forty Years of Tech Exhibit Showcases first Palm PDA HP is to Palm as Lenovo is to Motorola…Not Good View the full article

By pivotCE, in pivotCE News

• 0 replies
    • Question: Simplink (HDMI-CEC) and Apple TV works randomly

Have a LG TV 32LB650V which is updated to the latest firmware here in Sweden (05.05.01) and an Apple TV Gen4 (also updated to latest) connected to the HDMI ports. I used to use Simplink (HDMI-CEC) so that waking up the Apple TV would also wake up the TV. This worked well. Since some time ago, this does not always work. If I sleep the Apple TV, it shuts of the TV, but waking up the Apple TV wakes the TV maybe half of the times even though I follow the same procedure. Anyone experience the same thing or does your Simplink implementation works flawless every time?   What I've tried so far: - Switching Simplink on and off - Resetting the TV to factory default - Switching HDMI inputs    

By MikaelJones, in LG webOS Smart TV Questions

• Awaiting best answer

• 0 votes
      • 7 answers