Quantcast

PreCentral: HP unfazed by Microsoft's Surface tablet, have their own Windows 8 plans

News Reporter

HP unfazed by Microsoft's Surface tablet, have their own Windows 8 plans

HP's charging ahead with their Windows 8 tablet plans, and they're not going to let anyone, least of which OS-supplier and OEM competitor Microsoft hold them back. HP's also not letting the debacle that befell the TouchPad a year ago slow them down.

link hidden, please login to view
in their , and they've already said that (and thus doing a Windows 8 tablet). We'd speculated that Microsoft OEMs like HP would be perturbed by Microsoft's entry into the manufacturer space, and while Acer's CEO might be unhappy, it seems HP isn't too upset by the Surface.

Said John Solomon, HP SVP for America sales in the Printing and Personal Systems Group, to CRN:

"I believe Microsoft was basically making a leadership statement and showing what's possible in the tablet space. Our relationship has not changed at all due to Microsoft's announcement. In fact, I applaud it -- I think it's great that they are getting out in front and [showing] what's possible."

This stands in stark contrast to Acer CEO JT Wang, who said Microsoft should "think twice" about their intentions for Surface and how it could affect relations with OEMs like his company. HP for their part is putting on a smiling face, at least for the public. in the retail space, and , HP shouldn't have many issues selling copies of their Slate 8 tablet, assuming that people want them.

Of course, what we really want is a new webOS tablet, and we have no idea if that's anything HP's interested in doing at this point. And they wouldn't have to worry about competing with Microsoft for the same customers…

mf.gif

a2t.imgPDvgaF7F80o

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Satya_
      Software version 05.30.10 default web browser just updated and the address bar appear on the top of the screen which bother me a lot while playing a video please add a Full screen option to it
    • By News Reporter
      Coming to Earlier LG Smart TV Models, webOS Re:New Program Gives More Users
      Access to the Elevated Home Entertainment Experience Most Recent Platform Provides

SEOUL, Jan. 4, 2024 — LG Electronics (LG) announced that it is offering the latest upgrade* of the webOS smart TV platform to owners of older LG Smart TVs, effectively evolving their smart TV into the ultimate home entertainment hub.
      In early 2024, the webOS Re:New program will bring the latest webOS upgrade to every model in LG’s 2022 OLED TV lineup, LG OLED Flex, LG OLED Objet Collection Posé as well as LG’s 2022 QNED Mini LED 8K (QNED99/95 series), promising users the joy of a new TV experience for the next five years. This upgrade will be extended to more LG TVs worldwide in the future to add more entertainment and versatility to the TV experience across the world.
      With the latest version of webOS, LG Smart TV owners can enjoy an even more personalized TV experience with a Home Screen that greets users with recommendations according to their tastes. The user interface is highly customizable, which means viewers can personalize the selection of content and services and access them with even greater ease. And to make the process even more seamless, the Quick Card UI intuitively sorts diverse content and services into categories like music, games and sports within a user-centric interface that resembles mobile user interface design.
      What’s more, courtesy of advanced security technology and an optimized operating system, users are protected with a high level of stability, security and seamlessness throughout the entire viewing experience.
      With more LG Smart TVs adopting the latest webOS upgrade, content providers and service developers will have more opportunities to spread new content, services and features to a wider audience.
      LG has shared its bold vision to become a media and entertainment platform, a business transformation that will enrich customers’ lives by delivering valuable services and a unique collection of curated content across its wide-ranging products. Powering more than 200 million LG Smart TVs worldwide, webOS will continue to evolve through significant upgrades to constantly revolutionize the customer experience. LG is poised to invest heavily in its webOS business to secure a vast library of content and services so that it can cater to the diverse lifestyles and preferences of consumers, strengthening its competitive edge in content selection and convenience.
      “Demonstrated by the constant improvement to the webOS platform’s UX and UI, LG is firmly dedicated to elevating convenience and security, ensuring that users benefit from a hassle-free and secure experience when using our products,” said Baik Seon-pill, leader of the LG Home Entertainment Company’s Product Planning Division. “We strive to provide life-enriching experiences for our customers by delivering a wide range of content and services on our TVs.”
      The LG Home Entertainment Company’s latest innovations will be on show at CES 2024 from January 9-12 at the LG booth (#16008, Las Vegas Convention Center). To keep up with all of LG’s exciting announcements at CES, visit
      link hidden, please login to view and . # # #
      * Pop-up notifications offering a full upgrade without the need to select specific UX, UI or features are only sent to customers who have agreed to receive them. Please note that this upgrade does not cover the TV’s hardware performance, features or durability.

• By Xuancong Wang
      Dear LG TV developers,
      I am glad to see that LG Smart TV has a built-in web browser and LG API supports "openBrowserAt" so that my smart home controller can open a web page on the TV. However, nowadays, we also have ms-teams online meeting that is accessible through web browser which the LG TV supports. However, this requires the browser to have a microphone to record audio and to have a webcam for video recording. Also, certain smart-home systems also need built-in microphone to record voice commands so that no additional standalone unit is required next to the TV.
      Unfortunately, LG Smart TV (I have OLED48A1PTA) does not have microphone neither does it support USB mic/webcam. So I am writing this post to suggest that future middle/higher-end LG Smart TV can be equipped with these. Moreover, it might be possible for TV firmware update to add the support of USB webcam/microphone so that they can be used in web browsers for web-based online meeting.
      Thank you very much for your consideration!
      Best regards,
      Xuancong
    • By ajmboy
      So LG has put webOS on TVs, projectors, and now cars with webos auto. Does anyone thing LG will ever produce a webos powered smartphone or tablet? I know samsung has tried with tizen and it was only with the palm pre 2 and touchpad from HP that we saw webos on these types of devices. Just curious on what everyone thingks. Here's what webos used to look like..

HP Touchpad

• By Elaine Crew
      Can you please help - I want to download some apps to my TV but I do not have a Content Finder. Wht can I do??