Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

Sign in to follow this  
NewsDummy

PreCentral: HP unfazed by Microsoft's Surface tablet, have their own Windows 8 plans

HP unfazed by Microsoft's Surface tablet, have their own Windows 8 plans

HP's charging ahead with their Windows 8 tablet plans, and they're not going to let anyone, least of which OS-supplier and OEM competitor Microsoft hold them back. HP's also not letting the debacle that befell the TouchPad a year ago slow them down. HP's teased the Slate 8 tablet a few times in their new advertising campaign, and they've already said that they're going to go with Intel for their first Windows 8 tablet (and thus doing a Windows 8 tablet). We'd speculated that Microsoft OEMs like HP would be perturbed by Microsoft's entry into the manufacturer space, and while Acer's CEO might be unhappy, it seems HP isn't too upset by the Surface.

Said John Solomon, HP SVP for America sales in the Printing and Personal Systems Group, to CRN:

"I believe Microsoft was basically making a leadership statement and showing what's possible in the tablet space. Our relationship has not changed at all due to Microsoft's announcement. In fact, I applaud it -- I think it's great that they are getting out in front and [showing] what's possible."

This stands in stark contrast to Acer CEO JT Wang, who said Microsoft should "think twice" about their intentions for Surface and how it could affect relations with OEMs like his company. HP for their part is putting on a smiling face, at least for the public. HP has massive reach and scale in the retail space, and so long as Microsoft's pricing for Surface isn't insane, HP shouldn't have many issues selling copies of their Slate 8 tablet, assuming that people want them.

Of course, what we really want is a new webOS tablet, and we have no idea if that's anything HP's interested in doing at this point. And they wouldn't have to worry about competing with Microsoft for the same customers…

mf.gif
emailthis2.gif bookmark.gif

a2.imga2t.imgPDvgaF7F80o

View the full article

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Forum Topics

• Screen Share with Windows 10

Has anyone been able to run Screen Share from a Windows 10 PC? Mine will not connect to the LG TV.

By bogeyman62, in LG webOS Smart TV Discussion

• 74 replies
    • Question: Amazon hdr content back, but not playing

For quite a while, amazon didn't offer hdr content versions in the webos app.  A recent update has brought back the hdr content, but it's still playing in 1080.  Has anyone successfully gotten 4k and hdr to play in the amazon lg app?

By dwsteele41, in LG webOS Smart TV App Questions

• Awaiting best answer
      • 0 votes
      • 2 answers
    • Screencast and Windows 10: Solution!

Hi everyone so I searched high and low for a solution to my issue with Windows 10 and Screen Cast on my LG UK6300PUE not working and finally found a solution. For me, it had to do with my PC and TV connections. I like to hard wire everything and with both my PC and TV, they default to the more reliable, wired connection and disconnect the WiFi. Well from what I understand, Screen Cast is based off of Intel's WiDi technology, WHICH REQUIRES WIFI CONNECTIONS TO WORK! I did go through all the other suggestions, checking share settings in Windows and Media Player, resetting this and that. I'm not sure if I had to do any of that for Screen Cast to work but I did try all those common suggestion initially. So if Screen Cast is  still not working for you, try those other suggestions posted in numerous places here and other forums. I'm really surprised on all the forums I visited, this wasn't pointed out anywhere! I hope this helps those having issues with Screen Cast!   TL; DR: So basically on a WIRED connection, I could see my TV on my Windows 10 PC, but it would not connect. As soon as I connected BOTH my PC AND TV to WiFi, Screen Cast began to work.   My current LG UK6300PUE Software Version: 04.10.04 Windows 10 64-bit Build: Version 1803, OS Build 17134.34

By Ryan Lee, in LG webOS Smart TV Discussion

• 0 replies
    • Palm is Back with a New Palm Phone Companion

If you are webOS enthusiast, you remember Palm as the brand that brought you webOS 1.0 on a smart phone before it was sold to HP fro Touchpads and then LG for Smart TVs. Today, we have webOS off to LG and the Palm brand off to TCL Communications. We have been waiting to see what was to come with palm and today we have a new website that's up and a cool gadget, dubbed a "companion". Below is information from https://www.palm.com "We found partners who were as passionate about celebrating the choice to stay connected and be present with Palm, a vision that brings people out of technology and back into their lives. We’re working with TCL Communication to manufacture Palm and exclusively launching with Verizon Wireless in the United States, establishing the new ultra-mobile category." History of Palm Palm was one of the first companies to put mobile devices into consumers’ hands. Palm changed the mobile game when they introduced the popular PalmPilot in 1996—ushering in the handheld mobile era. Palm is back and ready to change the game again. The original PalmPilot made your computer mobile, now we’re making smartphones truly mobile again. We have embraced Palm’s innovative spirit and created a new ultra-mobile device that keeps you connected and present at the same time. The new Palm is an ultra-mobile product that’s about the size of a credit card with smart features and quick actions, so you can instantly access everything you need and nothing you don’t—even when your smartphone is nowhere to be seen. Palm syncs with your Android or iOS device so you’ll never miss a thing, even if your smartphone is at home.  Features Size of a Credit Card Syncs with Android and iOS Stunning HD Display Water and Dust Resistant Two Cameras 12MP and 8MP Runs on Android with Google Assistant Facial Recognition Gesture Pad Quick Actions   Specs Processor    Qualcomm® 435 processor. Octa-core CPU Display    3.3” HD Display - 445 ppi high pixel density LCD Glass    Impact resistant front and rear Corning Gorilla Glass Cameras    12MP rear camera with flash + 8MP front camera Construction    Crafted billet aluminum mid-frame Durability    IP68 water and dust resistant Memory    3 GB RAM / 32 GB Storage Battery    800mAh non-removable battery,All-day battery life*, 3+ day standby time Audio    Dual-purpose speaker Sensors    G-Sensor, Glonass GPS, Proximity, E-compass, Gyro Connectivity    4G LTE, Bluetooth 4.2 low energy WLAN 802.11 b/g/n (2.4GHz) Non-removable nano SIM  OS    Android 8.1 Security    Face unlock Dimensions    50.6 x 96.6 x 7.4mm Weight    62.5 grams Colors    Available in titanium and gold Visit https://www.palm.com for more information  

By Alex, in Palm Pre and Pre Plus

• 0 replies
    • webOS OSE on HP Touchpad?

With the release of webOS OSE, I'm wondering if it's able to run on the HP Touchpad. I wonder if someone will attempt to port it over.   Might give me a reason to pull out the old Touchpad, currently have an older Android system on it and haven't messed with it in over a year.

By ajmboy, in HP TouchPad

• 0 replies