Quantcast

PreCentral: HP unfazed by Microsoft's Surface tablet, have their own Windows 8 plans

News Reporter

HP unfazed by Microsoft's Surface tablet, have their own Windows 8 plans

HP's charging ahead with their Windows 8 tablet plans, and they're not going to let anyone, least of which OS-supplier and OEM competitor Microsoft hold them back. HP's also not letting the debacle that befell the TouchPad a year ago slow them down.

link hidden, please login to view
in their , and they've already said that (and thus doing a Windows 8 tablet). We'd speculated that Microsoft OEMs like HP would be perturbed by Microsoft's entry into the manufacturer space, and while Acer's CEO might be unhappy, it seems HP isn't too upset by the Surface.

Said John Solomon, HP SVP for America sales in the Printing and Personal Systems Group, to CRN:

"I believe Microsoft was basically making a leadership statement and showing what's possible in the tablet space. Our relationship has not changed at all due to Microsoft's announcement. In fact, I applaud it -- I think it's great that they are getting out in front and [showing] what's possible."

This stands in stark contrast to Acer CEO JT Wang, who said Microsoft should "think twice" about their intentions for Surface and how it could affect relations with OEMs like his company. HP for their part is putting on a smiling face, at least for the public. in the retail space, and , HP shouldn't have many issues selling copies of their Slate 8 tablet, assuming that people want them.

Of course, what we really want is a new webOS tablet, and we have no idea if that's anything HP's interested in doing at this point. And they wouldn't have to worry about competing with Microsoft for the same customers…

mf.gif

a2t.imgPDvgaF7F80o

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By HippyTesla
      Hi there,
      I'm trying to connect my Windows 10 PC as an audio output device for my LG TV (43UM7100PLB, software v. 05.00.15). I know that Windows 10 now supports Bluetooth audio sink mode in order to act as an audio receiver, but my TV just won't pair with it. Windows sees the TV, but it cannot pair with it, just says "Try connecting your device again" (screenshot attached). When I use the WebOS Sound Out > Bluetooth and search for a device, nothing shows up even though my PC is discoverable.
      If I try the Bluetooth Audio Playback feature of the TV from the Home Dashboard, I can pair the computer with TV and am able to stream audio from the PC to TV, so I'm beginning to suspect the TV is rejecting the PC for some reason.
      Any help is greatly appreciated!

• By hjetschko
      Hi, I have a feature request for the sound out setting. I often connect my Bluetooth headphones to the TV. We don't use the internal speaker of the TV, we use the optical sound out setting whenever I don't use Bluetooth. It would make our lives a lot easier if the TV can remember the last sound out setting before connecting to Bluetooth and default back to this setting when the Bluetooth device gets disconnected. At the moment, each time I disconnect the headphones I have to go back into settings and change the sound out setting from internal speaker to optical again. 
      Thanks and regards
      Hubert
    • By Brian Gregory
      CBS Catchup, Discovery+, POP player, and UKTV Play always need updating. Even seconds after you just updated them. It started doing this a few days ago.
      Who can I contact to get this fixed?
      Since the "apps need updating" notification now always appears when I switch the TV on, I now have no way of telling if anything really does need updating other than going into the LG content store, clicking Apps, clicking My Apps, and visually checking.
      ☹️
    • By News Reporter
      Trees are vital. There is no denying how trillions of trees around the world are central to all life on Earth. Not only do Mother Nature’s skyscrapers provide clean, fresh air and cozy habitats to thousands of living species, but they also help us combat climate change and preserve biodiversity for many decades to come.

In ensuring that this legacy can be passed onto future generations, LG Indonesia signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Conservation of Natural Resources Jakarta to celebrate their 32 years of operation in Indonesia. For this purpose, the company pledged to plant 32,000 trees across Jakarta, Kalimantan and Sumatra by April 2023.
      Jay Jang, director of marketing and relations at LG Electronics Indonesia,
      shaking hands with Abdul Kodir, head of the Conservation of Natural Resources Jakarta
      This initiative sheds light on LG’s commitment to environmental sustainability in Indonesia in the same fashion as the company’s eco-friendly solutions, products and technologies, including their energy-saving inverter technology, which helps customers achieve a more eco-conscious lifestyle by improving energy efficiency. Incorporated into a wide range of household appliances, such as refrigerators, washing machines and air conditioners, this cutting-edge inverter provides users with peace of mind as they are able to easily manage their ecological footprints.

However, LG’s efforts toward environmental sustainability extend well beyond the tree-planting initiative. The company’s technological interventions also complement its commitment to reach carbon neutrality by 2030, through the minimization of carbon emissions and footprints across the overall process, from production to disposal.

LG is endlessly passionate about raising global awareness of environmental sustainability, not only through its technological innovation and world-leading products but also by implementing various environmental interventions designed in order to make life better for people of all backgrounds and localities.

Contributed by LG Indonesia
      # # #

link hidden, please login to view
    • By S Biswas
      Extremely frustrated to find no app streaming FIFA World Cup 2022. Looks like LG web OS is not a versatile OS. Need a second thought next time or refer to friends buying a LG TV. 
      - Sampad