Quantcast

PreCentral: Tabbed card stacks, infinite card view, and additional keyboard layouts happening thanks to webOS Community Edition

On Thursday we talked about one of the first projects to come out of the . The newly-open-sourced code for major chunks of webOS 3.0.5 had within two days brought us the that we'd been pining for for far too long. But with access to parts like the LunaSysMgr, what else the homebrew community would come up with was a huge and excitingly open question.
Well, here are some more answers. Coming from the mind and keyboard of Andrew Holbrook (dukiedrew) is something we're actually quite impressed by: tabbed . With this modification, a simple swipe in from the left side when in an app of the screen scoots your current view to the side a bit to load a vertical column of the thumbnails of the other app cards in that card stack. Tap on one of the thumbnails and it and your current app swap places. Swipe back to the left to dismiss the thumbnails column and get back to your app.

Holbrook's work isn't limited to just card stack tabs - he's also worked up how to cycle the webOS card spread around the ends so you can keep swiping past the end of your cards and jump to the far end of your open apps. If you've got a lot open, this could be an easy way to navigate everything. Video of the infinite card view and tabbed card stacks is above.

After the break is another video, this one from Måns Andersson. As a Swede, there's not a lot of support for his preferred keyboard layouts built into webOS. Again playing with LunaSysMgr, Andersson was able to add additional layouts for Dvorak, Swedish Dvorak, and Swedish QWERTY to the standard international webOS keyboard layouts, including a button on the Swedish keyboards to quickly switch between Dvorak and QWERTY.

All of this work was completed thanks to the webOS Community Edition and the quick work of WebOS Internals' WebOS Ports team. It's all open source, and all done free-of-charge for you. We wouldn't discourage you from - without your support they can't pay for servers and test devices and the like, and this kind of awesome stuff becomes that much more difficult to do.

mf.gif

a2t.imgYMFvDh5R1UE

link hidden, please login to view

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By coyote
      I've got my ThinQ and Google Home apps and Google Home speakers set up to turn off my LG C1.  But they won't turn it on, I guess because the TV isn't listening for commands when off.   I expected that enabling these Settings|General|Devices|TV Management|Quick Start+ Settings|General|Devices|External Devices|TV On With Mobile|Turn on via Wi-Fi would do it, but it did not.
      OMG I just discovered that Alexa turns on the TV...and I never even had to open let alone set it up in the Alexa app!
    • By LGUSA1
      I have the LG 32LJ57 and can I upgrade from 3.0 to 4.0 on a 2017 model ? IDK why my TV just stop at 3.0 but I want to using 4.0 on a 2017 model! Thanks!!
    • By LGUSERINDIA
      I brought LG LED 124cm 49UK7500  UHD/4K from India to UK. Will the TV support UK TV channels such as BBC and others through a TV Aerial cable or do i need to buy a FreeView box?
    • By Alfvenwave
      Hi, I'm curious if anyone else is seeing this annoying new behaviour.
      I have my SKY Q box on HDMI1 and have become accustomed to switching back from Netflix (or any other app for that matter) by having HDMI1 assigned to button "1" using the Quick Access feature.  In the last week though, this feature has stopped working properly. If I am in Netflix and I press the "1" button, nothing happens (as expected). If instead I hold down the "1" button to switch to SKY I get a pop up that says this: "Do you want to add Netflix to [Quick Access 1]?".   If I then hold down the "0" button, the 3x3 grid "EDIT QUICK ACCESS" pop-up appears and I can clearly see my SKY Q/HDMI 1 in the top left grid position (button "1")!!!
      If I then switch via the Home button to HDMI1 and remove HDMI1 from Quick Access (via the  EDIT QUICK ACCESS pop up), I can then re-add it by holding down 1 or from within the pop-up. Now, if I go into Netflix and then hold down 1, my TV does (correctly) switch to HDMI1. Hurrah! If however I turn my TV off and back on, then go to Netflix, then hold down "1", I am back to square one with the question "Do you want to add Netwflix to [Quick Access 1]?"......Grrrr!!!
      I have tried switching the TV off at the wall, leaving for 10 seconds and repowering, which doesn't fix the problem (I don't believe WebOS reboots when you do this). LG appear to have made it a practical impossibility to reboot WebOS via anything other than a factory reset which I don't really want to do as it'll take me too long to get all my settings back to where I have them now. Some blogs suggest that the "User Licence agreement" setting can be changed which forces a reset from within the General tab but I don't see this on my TV (guessing that WebOS interface has changed).
      Anyone have any ideas? 
      Rob.

• By News Reporter
      Advanced Capabilities of LG’s Deep Learning based AI DD Technology Confirmed
      by Respected Third-party Organization

SEOUL, May 11, 2022 — LG Electronics (LG) announces that the AI technology applied to its upgradable appliance laundry solutions has received AI Algorithm Reproducibility Process Verification from UL, a global safety science leader.* A first for the home appliance industry, the verification confirms the advanced capabilities of LG’s Artificial Intelligence Direct Drive (AI DD) technology which uses deep learning to detect the types of fabrics being washed, or dried, and select the optimal cycle and settings for each load.
      Performing as advertised, LG’s AI DD is the first AI solution used in a laundry appliance to be validated by UL. The company’s state-of-the-art technology was put through a comprehensive assessment to verify its abilities, with UL measuring several criteria such as the suitability of the ‘learning’ data used by LG and the performance of its algorithm in actual usage.
      LG’s AI DD-equipped laundry solutions provide customers with more convenience and gentle fabric care. The revolutionary AI DD leverages deep learning, a technology that allows computers to think and learn by themselves, to automatically determine the optimal washing pattern for each fabric-type. Detecting the weight and softness of laundry in each load, LG’s intelligent washers and dryers deliver excellent results every time, getting clothes and linen fresh and clean while also reducing fabric damage.
      LG’s differentiated AI technology has also been recognized by various organizations including the Korea Testing Laboratory (AI safety certification) and the Korean Standards Association (AI+ certification).
      This year, LG has taken home appliance innovation even further with the introduction of its upgradable appliance concept. Boosting user convenience and value, LG upgradable appliances can add new features and functions via software and hardware upgrades available through the ThinQ app.
      “Being the first in the industry to have our cutting-edge AI technology validated by UL is a testament to our leadership in the global home appliance market,” said Lyu Jae-cheol, president of LG Electronics Home Appliance & Air Solution Company. “LG will continue to take the customer experience to new heights, and make daily life easier, with innovative home appliances leveraging our latest AI and unique laundry technologies.”
      # # #
      * Verified products are currently available in Korean region only.

link hidden, please login to view