Quantcast

PreCentral: PSA: Facebook's 'Close Friends' list will notify you of status updates, stalkers hitting 'Like'

Facebook's 'Close Friends' list notifications make playing Big Brother that much

Late last month, started pushing harder for users to add people to their 'Close Friends' smart list, something intended to help Facebook figure out which people you want to see most in your News Feed (personally, we'd prefer Facebook stop trying to decide what it thinks will be important to us, but we're cranky like that). The push involved a big banner at the top of the desktop site that prompts users to "star" friends onto the Close Friends list, an initiative they've been slowly rolling out across their userbase. We'll admit to not using the desktop site all that often (or Facebook anywhere, for that matter), but just yesterday we hopped onto Facebook, got the prompt, thought "why not?", starred a few friends and family, and called it a day.

That is, until later that night when we started getting notifications for mundane status updates that had nothing to do with interactions with ourselves. "Mary Jane uploaded a photo", "Joe Schmoe update his status: "Tacos!" ", "Pat Chris checked in at Pete's Eats", and the like. It was confusing at first, until we realized that Facebook was serving us status updates for people we'd starred onto the Close Friends list .

Without having received any updates in several months, we're impressed that the webOS apps (both and ) handled the new us-free notifications without skipping a beat, including proper links to the friends and their posts (and any links within said post) with nary an issue. We're also somewhat amused by the in-your-face-ness of the updates, as it'll certainly make stalking keeping tabs on your friends easier, and yet possibly more annoying. We like our friends and all, but we're not sure we want everything they've done popping up on our phones as it happens all the freaking time. We're close, but we're not that close.

Thankfully, you can kill the notifications, but you have to go to Facebook's desktop site to do it. Load up you Close Friends list (it'll be on the left, possibly hidden under the More link), click on Notifications in the top right, and select Off. Alternatively you can click on the Manage List button just to the right of that, select Choose Update Types, and filter out the Likes and Game posts you don't want or need to see.

mf.gif

a2t.imgEjUm0pfK4yE

link hidden, please login to view

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By TimtheToolMan
      We just purchased a new LG WebOS TV OLED 65" and running the setup through the app or the TV remote says it can't load the user agreement. This is blocking us from getting to streaming apps like Nexflix or any smart functions like Voice assistant.
      TV worked fine for a few days but voice assistant stopped working and after much effort LG tech said to  Reset to Initial Settings. Now we have mentioned no smart functions. TV is on ethernet and its browser functions on web fine. Tried running off neighbor's wifi with same results.
      Tried switching to different country, unplugging/hold power button for 20 seconds/wait one minute,  resetting TV multiple times, setting up remote again, ...
      Error message: Unable to Load User Agreements  A server error has occurred while downloading  the User Agreements. You must download and agree to the terms of the User Agreements to use this feature or application. Do you want to try to download them again… Unable to Load User Agreements  Sorry, but the User Agreements  can't be downloaded at this time…Please check your internet connection and try again later.    No change when trying over five days.
      Now there is no local company available to service TV. Maybe it's time to send it back and give LG TV a one star rating. I am willing to change motherboards but doubt if LG would go along with that.
      Anyone have any ideas.

• By anishjp
      Hi LG
      When playing a Dolby Vision file encoded in MKV container format, the image is green/purple in colour. A quick googling says, this occurs due the default media player in WebOS not able to decode Dolby Vision MKV container files properly.
      When will this be fixed?
      Regards,
      Anish
    • By Alley Cat
      I am currently using this TV only to view internet content.  I am using the built-in wifi and ethernet connections.  But the TV starts up into maximally loud static every time and I haven't found a way around this.  Just about anything else would be better.  It could autodetect and mute the static.  Or it could start into the Apps screen.  Or it could start into my preferred app.  Or it could just start into a blank screen.  Whatever.  Just not loud, loud static.
      I read someone was able to set parental controls to get rid of the cable channels so it didn't start into static but that didn't work for me -- I deleted and locked all static channels but it still starts up into one of them.
      I guess more people have had success giving it an HDMI input and setting that as default -- I can't find the menu item to do that, maybe I need to actually connect an HDMI input? I don't have one readily available.  It seems silly to spend money on an extra streaming box to mostly do things that are built into my $900 TV, because it was designed to blast static on my speakers every time it starts up.
      So -- are there any other possibilities to solve this problem? 
    • By Paulct
      I just bought a lg b7 oled and have a problem. I dont subscribe to cable so I wont ever be using it on this tv. Every time I start the tv it loads the OS and the cable-less static comes on the screen and BLASTS through the speakers. The tiles for netflix, hulu, etc are at the bottom so I choose one of those. How do I stop the tv from defaulting to turning on the "tv" that clearly doesnt exist? Ive tried deleting the tile for live tv, and even moving it to the far right side but still every time I turn n the tv - static with the menu on the bottom. 
    • By News Reporter
      With global social distancing guidelines forcing millions to work or attend classes from the comfort of their homes, virtual gaming has emerged as the top form of leisure in Kenya, bringing people together online.
      According to a , Kenya was ranked among the top ten gaming hubs in Africa in 2019 with the local market projected to reach USD 118 million by 2022, doubling in size in just five years. The industry is quickly shaking off the narrative that gaming is just for kids and idlers and is being recognized as a tool for social and economic empowerment as the esports ecosystem matures and touches on other industries such as event planning and game development.

To offer local consumers a peek at the future of esports, the LG team in Kenya set up the PSG FIFA Fan Fest 2021 League, a premier esports competition to give young athletes an opportunity to play against the best, to become the best. Organized in partnership with , a top esports brand in Africa, the program attracted 128 players divided into two pools of 64 players.

All matches were played on 65-inch LG OLED TVs, ideal for esports because of their extremely low input lag and unmatched 1ms response time. With every move the players made appearing instantaneously on screen, there was plenty of action and suspense over the six months of the tournament.

In a hotly-contested match of EA Sports’ popular FIFA 21 and FIFA 22, Gamer Namzzie emerged top in Pool A followed by Barimaina in second place and Dinox third. In Pool B, Mzangwar254 took the top spot with Machulinski and Bad News following closely behind. The two top winners of each pool were awarded LG Tone Free wireless earbuds while the second and third-ranked players each took home LG Bluetooth speakers. The winner of the final Champions eCup, the final match of the FIFA Fan Fest, received the coveted top prize of a 55-inch LG HD TV.

The Grand Final of Season 1 was held on September 17 while Season 2 concluded on December 11, with both streamed live on .
      Contributed by LG Kenya
      # # #

link hidden, please login to view