Quantcast

LG Guggenheim Award Recipient Stephanie Dinkins Presents Demo of Latest AI Artwork in Progress

Dinkins, One of Time Magazine’s 100 Most Influential People in AI, Showcases Her
Latest Art on LG OLED at the Guggenheim’s ‘Late Shift’ Event

Late-Shift-x-Stephanie-Dinkins_2-600x399.png

SEOUL, Jan. 29, 2024 — Stephanie Dinkins presented three of her latest works in progress at ‘Late Shift x Stephanie Dinkins,’ an after-hours public program held at the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York City on January 25. Pushing the boundaries of artistic creation with her use of AI, Dinkins is the first inaugural recipient of the 2023 LG Guggenheim Award that celebrates artists breaking new ground in technology-based art and one of Time magazine’s 100 Most Influential People in AI.

AI is integral to Dinkins’ artistic practice and vision, as she investigates ways to make AI more accessible and inclusive. She raises important questions like “What does AI need from you?” to make a point that AI needs to develop a more well-rounded perspective that better reflects the real-world.  Her projects shed light on how AI can tend to have the mindset of the majority, easily overlooking and further ostracizing those living in the grey area of society. Through her thought-provoking interactions with AI made into art, Dinkins bridges the gap between art and technology to advocate for positive change.

Her works in progress presented at Guggenheim invite the audience into the narrative of helping AI grow in social values such as care and attentiveness. Named ‘’Not the Only One Avatar image 2023 brain (N’TOO),’ ‘The Stories We Tell Our Machines,’ and ‘WisdomBot,’ Dinkins’ works build on the interaction between AI displayed on LG OLED screens and the audiences. Again, the artist pinpoints that we all have something to contribute in shaping how AI understands the world.

The ongoing theme for the ‘LG Guggenheim Art and Technology Initiative’ has been the symbiosis between technology and art where each inspires the other to explore new paths. Dinkins’ presentation of her recent works comes at a timely juncture. LG Electronics recently made a bold move during CES 2024, naming AI as the company’s focal point for the year and redefining it as ‘Affectionate Intelligence.’

LG and Guggenheim are joining hands to support more artists creating new technological and artistic expressions. Last year, Dinkins became the first inaugural recipient of the LG Guggenheim Award, a five-year multifaceted collaboration designed to research, honor and promote artists working at the intersection of art and technology.

“I am excited to have activated the Guggenheim’s rotunda as a machine learning laboratory, sharing works in progress that highlight the imperative,” said Stephanie Dinkins, LG Guggenheim Inaugural Awardee. “These works in progress inform AI systems with a broad spectrum of ideas, wisdoms, cultural touch points and stories that have sustained our communities for millennia.”

“As audience members willingly engaged with artificial intelligence entities in this unique event, their interactions served as valuable contributions,” said Noam Segal, LG Electronics Associate Curator. “These contributions, coined by Stephanie Dinkins as ‘Data Gifts’, play a crucial role in enriching the AI’s learning datasets, particularly in filling gaps where information, historical knowledge or intricate concepts are absent.”

“LG Electronics believes in technology inspiring art,” said Kate Oh, Vice President of the Brand Communication Division at the LG Home Entertainment Company. “We are privileged to provide LG OLED as a tool that, in turn, inspires artists to pioneer new paths and reach for boundless expression.”

LG and the Guggenheim Museum are committed to working together to identify and celebrate artists pushing the envelope of technology-based art. To follow the journey, please visit LG’s

link hidden, please login to view
for the LG Guggenheim Art and Technology Initiative.

# # #

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By News Reporter
      At Frieze London 2024, LG OLED and Akomfrah Bring Art and Technology
      Together to Inspire Audiences With a Thought-Provoking Film Installation

SEOUL, Oct. 11, 2024 — LG Electronics (LG) has once again partnered with the widely respected artist and filmmaker, Sir John Akomfrah, for Frieze London 2024. This collaboration follows LG’s recent support of Akomfrah’s British Pavilion at the 60th International Art Exhibition at La Biennale di Venezia 2024. At Frieze London 2024, LG OLED has invited Akomfrah – an artist and filmmaker known for investigating themes such as memory, post-colonialism, temporality and aesthetics – to present a new video installation at the fair.
      Becoming Wind (2023) is a five-channel video installation that focuses on the intersection of social and environmental issues, looking specifically at the experience of non-binary and trans actors and activists in the context of the climate crisis. A profound meditation on identity formation is framed by an allegorical representation of the Garden of Eden and its disappearance; a montage of footage evoking the abundant richness of past biodiversity is interrupted by glimpses of blazing wildfires, scenes of racial discrimination and a fragmented text, underscoring responsibilities to confront multiple and intersecting crises.
      Powered by the compelling fusion of art and technology, multiple ultra-large LG OLED displays bring Akomfrah’s artistic narratives to life with stunning picture quality on an incredible scale. Notably, LG OLED’s self-lit nature reveals the full, vivid expression of the colors, enriching the depth and realism of the artwork’s multi-sensory elements for a truly immersive experience.
      LG’s commitment to making LG OLED a more sustainable choice closely aligns with Akomfrah’s drive to address climate change, human communities and the plight of migrant diasporas globally. LG OLED TVs incorporate fewer components than LCD TVs due to the absence of a backlight, which results in the 65-inch OLED TV using 60 percent less plastic compared to an LCD TV of the same size. Weighing in at about 20 percent less than an LCD TV of the same screen size, OLED screens also contribute to the reduction of CO2 emissions during transit. In addition, recycled plastic accounts for approximately 20 percent of the plastic used in the manufacturing of all LG TVs, including OLED models. These efforts have culminated in LG OLED TVs receiving environmental product certifications from the UK’s Carbon Trust and Switzerland’s SGS for four consecutive years, underscoring the company’s commitment to sustainability.*
      “I’m truly delighted to be able to bring my artistic vision to life with LG OLED,” said Akomfrah. “Becoming Wind aims to draw viewers into a deep state of contemplation about the intrinsic relationship between nature, humanity and technology through the interplay between sound and visuals. LG OLED’s advanced audiovisual capabilities and technological advancements enhance the sensory elements of the art, seamlessly integrating image, sound and emotion to take audiences on a visually compelling and intellectually stimulating journey.”
      “We are pleased to continue our collaboration with renowned artist Sir John Akomfrah to highlight how LG OLED captivates audiences by enhancing the depth of his thought-provoking artwork,” said Kate Oh, vice president of the Brand Communication Division at LG Home Entertainment Company. “LG OLED remains committed to supporting both artists and audiences who embrace our passion for innovation and positive change. We will continue to empower artists who seek to inspire the world through the intersection of art and technology.
      Visitors to Frieze London 2024 can experience Akomfrah’s artwork Becoming Wind from October 9 to 13 at The Regent’s Park. Visit the
      link hidden, please login to view to step into a world of artistic brilliance and explore captivating collaborations with LG OLED ART. # # #
      * Carbon Trust: Carbon Footprint Reducing certifications (2024 LG OLED evo G4 77”/65”/55”)
      Carbon Footprint Measured certifications (2024 LG OLED evo G4 97”/83”, C4)
      SGS: Environmentally Evaluated certifications (2024 LG OLED evo G4/C4/B4)

• By MaheshD
      What is the latest LG web os support for TV model 49UJ752T-TB. Currently in this model of my LG tv showing 3.9.2, also neither I am not getting automatic updates not manual. Because of this certain apps are not available to my smart tv. Some of these apps are sony liv, jio, tata binge etc. 
      I req to plz help me how I can update lg web os for my TV model and which is the latest supported currently.
    • By MaheshD
      What is the latest LG web os support for TV model 49UJ752T-TB. Currently in this model of my LG tv showing 3.9.2, also neither I am not getting automatic updates not manual. Because of this certain apps are not available to my smart tv. Some of these apps are sony liv, jio, tata binge etc. 
      I req to plz help me how I can update lg web os for my TV model and which is the latest supported currently.
    • By News Reporter
      Music Performers From 9 Countries Creatively Reinterprets Legendary Party
      Anthem, “Boom Boom Pow” to Captivate Audiences Worldwide

SEOUL, Oct. 2, 2024 — LG Electronics (LG) is launching a new marketing campaign showcasing the powerful audio performance and dynamic style of its LG XBOOM speakers. The campaign is ignited with Boom Boom Pow Festa, a unique music festival dedicated to the iconic Black Eyed Peas’ song “Boom Boom Pow.” Released in 2009, this legendary party anthem topped the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 music chart for 12 consecutive weeks. During this exciting and vibrant event, the all-time favorite party song will be reinterpreted by talented street performers from around the world and performed through LG’s powerful XBOOM party speakers.
      Considered something of a modern classic, “Boom Boom Pow” has become a go-to party track globally, its infectious energy and booming bass inspiring revelers of all ages to get to their feet and dance. Street performers in nine different countries* will take to the stage to offer their own unique takes on the song, supported by the exceptional sound of LG XBOOM. In addition to talented street performers, Boom Boom Pow Festa will feature rising stars of the global music scene, such as Brazil’s Delacruz, who is set to perform at the iconic Escadaria Selarón in Rio de Janeiro.
      Powered by LG XBOOM party speakers, these exciting performances will be streamed live on the LG Global YouTube channel on October 6 at 01:00 KST as part of a forty-five-minute virtual concert. Videos of the individual performances and behind-the-scenes films showcasing the artists’ creative exploration of LG XBOOM’s dynamic power and energetic audio quality will also be available on the same channel.
      LG’s XBOOM engaging campaign is set to expand to TikTok with the fun-filled “Boom Boom Pow” dance challenge. Participants can join popular creators to show off their best moves and are encouraged to bring the same explosive energy that XBOOM-brand speakers are known for.
      Different LG XBOOM speakers will be featured throughout the campaign, each model offering a range of unique benefits along with the brand’s signature power and atmosphere-enhancing features. The LG XBOOM XL9T is a robust tower speaker that amps up the fun with dual 8-inch woofers. Its Pixel LED Lighting feature displays colorful patterns, visual EQ effects, characters or customized text and graphics on the speaker’s LED panel, while Multi Color Ring Lighting creates synchronized lightshows with rotating and flashing effects. Customizable Lighting allows for personalized colors, patterns, animations and messages through the XBOOM app.
      Backed by MIL-SPEC and IP67 ratings, the LG XBOOM Go XG8T and XG2T combine a rugged, durable and compact design with over 10 hours of playback for the most reliable performance wherever you are.
      “We aim to inspire hope for a better life and future with our optimistic Life’s Good philosophy, which closely aligns with the positive energy of music and is the driving force behind our Boom Boom Pow Festa and XBOOM campaign,” said Lee Jeong-seok, head of LG Home Entertainment Company’s audio business. “Through a variety of engaging marketing activities, we will continue to highlight the powerful sound of LG XBOOM and raise the profile of our unique speaker brand in the global market.”
      Dive into the dynamic journey of LG XBOOM and discover a world of powerful, energetic audio experiences. Learn more at
      link hidden, please login to view. # # #
      * Brazil, Mexico, Peru, UK, Spain, South Africa, Türkiye, India and Philippines.

• By helgelino
      Since the new Firmware my HDMI external Device (my Amp) in the universal Setting is lost after every Day. So i cant regulate the Volume, till i select it once again the day....
      Please fix, there was no Problems many Month before.