Quantcast

Can’t turn on TV with Alexa

Trevin

Question

I have an LG 2022 tv that I connected with Alexa. Alexa can change the channel of the tv and turn it off, but when I say “Alexa, turn on the tv” she says “TV isn’t responding. Please check its network connection and power supply.” How can I get the tv to listen to Alexa even when it’s off?

1 answer to this question

On 5/5/2024 at 4:23 PM, Trevin said:

I have an LG 2022 tv that I connected with Alexa. Alexa can change the channel of the tv and turn it off, but when I say “Alexa, turn on the tv” she says “TV isn’t responding. Please check its network connection and power supply.” How can I get the tv to listen to Alexa even when it’s off?

To enable Alexa to turn on your LG TV even when it's off, you can follow these steps:

1. Check Compatibility: Ensure that your LG TV model supports the "Power on via Wi-Fi" feature. This feature allows the TV to receive commands from Alexa even when it's in standby mode.

2. Update Firmware: Make sure your LG TV's firmware is up to date. Sometimes, firmware updates include new features or bug fixes that might improve compatibility with Alexa.

3. Enable Wake-on-LAN (WoL): Wake-on-LAN allows devices to be woken up from standby mode using a network message. Check your LG TV's settings menu for an option to enable WoL. This might be labeled as "Network Wakeup" or something similar.

4. Configure Router Settings: Ensure that your router settings allow for WoL packets to be sent to your TV. This might involve enabling a setting like "Wake-on-LAN" or "Magic Packet" in your router's configuration interface.

5. Enable Remote Access: Some LG TVs require you to enable remote access for them to respond to commands when they're off. Check your TV's settings for an option like "Mobile TV On" or "Remote Access" and make sure it's turned on.

6. Set up Device Discovery: Make sure your LG TV is properly set up within the Alexa app. Go to the Alexa app, navigate to Devices, and select your TV. Ensure that it's discovered and linked properly.

7. Power Saving Settings: Check your LG TV's power-saving settings. Sometimes, overly aggressive power-saving settings can prevent the TV from responding to network commands when it's off. Adjust these settings if necessary.

8. Reboot Devices: Sometimes, a simple reboot of your router, TV, and Alexa device can resolve connectivity issues. Try unplugging them for a few minutes, then plugging them back in and testing again.

By following these steps, you should be able to configure your LG TV to respond to Alexa commands even when it's off. If you're still experiencing issues, you may need to consult the user manual for your specific TV model or reach out to LG or Amazon customer support for further assistance.