Quantcast

HDMI ARC Not Working

Bevb

Question

I have a NANO91ANA LG TV connected via HDMI to a Yamaha RX-V677 Receiver. Normally when I turn the TV on it also turns the receiver on and I can control volume via the LG remote, whether it is an app on the TV or from another device connected to my receiver (Apple TV or cable box). Now the receiver is not turning on and ARC audio is not working. I think there may have been a software update the other day, but I'm not sure. However, everything was working properly until last night. The last time this happened it seemed to correct itself (it seems to be kind of sporadic), but this time it did not. I do not know what to do to correct this, but it is a major pain as I'm now having to deal with 4 remotes, plus I can't get sound out of my surround speakers when using an app on the TV.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hello, I'm experiencing similar issues as described but not identical. I have a LG OLED48C16LA running firmware 03.21020 (latest) I connected HDMI2 to my Denon AVR-x2400h which has ARC (no eARC). We had a power loss this morning and after power was restored, sound is no longer transmitted to the AVR. TV reports "Denon Ready" when switched on, but no audio is received by the AVR. Pressing audio up/down displays the volume sign with mute/unavailable indication. Proposed solutions provided by Jez Brook and langc3 did not work for me. also factory resetting the AVR and TV with HDMI2 disconnected does not work.

To be even more specific: contradicting to the setup of Jez Brook I have a decoder and N-Switch connected directly to the LG TV (HDMI1 and HDMI3 respectively). This is for me the only way to control everything with Magic Remote only. Sound from these devices is available when I switch to TV internal speakers or when I connect them directly to AVR.

any advice is highly appreciated

2 hours ago, Fennepa said:

Hello, I'm experiencing similar issues as described but not identical. I have a LG OLED48C16LA running firmware 03.21020 (latest) I connected HDMI2 to my Denon AVR-x2400h which has ARC (no eARC). We had a power loss this morning and after power was restored, sound is no longer transmitted to the AVR. TV reports "Denon Ready" when switched on, but no audio is received by the AVR. Pressing audio up/down displays the volume sign with mute/unavailable indication. Proposed solutions provided by Jez Brook and langc3 did not work for me. also factory resetting the AVR and TV with HDMI2 disconnected does not work.

To be even more specific: contradicting to the setup of Jez Brook I have a decoder and N-Switch connected directly to the LG TV (HDMI1 and HDMI3 respectively). This is for me the only way to control everything with Magic Remote only. Sound from these devices is available when I switch to TV internal speakers or when I connect them directly to AVR.

You seem to have a weird setup, if using the denon on hdmi 2 you shouldnt have the need to use any other hdmi port on the tv itself.  You talk about the remote cec controls not working but if setup on both the tv, receiver and end device correctly should all function as expected so I would look into that issue first before plugging in stuff on hdmi.

And yeah you wouldn't get sound on the av receiver from devices plugged into HDMI 1/3 and directly connecting to the avr would give you lower quality audio (if using optical).

I would recommend turning off all cec and arc and then turn it all back on, starting with the tv.

I don't use the magic remote for much more than my TV, but testing it its working fine on the PS5 and my avreceiver remote is working fine controlling the TV apps and navigation.

So for you make sure HDMI Control, ARC, TV Audio switching and Power Off Control are all set to On on your Denon, Denon also actually advice to reset the power to your TV when you edit arc and hdmi settings so reboot the TV (if you use LG quick start disable that first)

Then on your TV make sure you enable Simplink and Auto power sync, and then set the TV audio out to Optical/HDMI Arc

11 minutes ago, Jez Brook said:

You seem to have a weird setup, if using the denon on hdmi 2 you shouldnt have the need to use any other hdmi port on the tv itself. 

thx for the reply. not sure what you are suggesting here. If I connect decoder and N-Switch to decidated HDMI ports on the AVR, I will have to use the AVR remote to change the input source, not? Are you telling me that I can still use the Magic remote and pick the desired input source from the on screen menu of WebOS? I concluded that I needed an eARC on the AVR for that to work...

I believe cec is called HDMI control on Denon and it is already switched on

13 minutes ago, Fennepa said:

thx for the reply. not sure what you are suggesting here. If I connect decoder and N-Switch to decidated HDMI ports on the AVR, I will have to use the AVR remote to change the input source, not? Are you telling me that I can still use the Magic remote and pick the desired input source from the on screen menu of WebOS? I concluded that I needed an eARC on the AVR for that to work...

I believe cec is called HDMI control on Denon and it is already switched on

mah you don't need eARC.  but yes you can do exactly that, use our magic remote to control all devices that are connected to your AVR.  The only HDMI you would use one your TV is HDMI2, select your source on tour AV and you can use either your magic remote or your av receiver remote

15 hours ago, Jez Brook said:

use our magic remote to control all devices that are connected to your AVR.  The only HDMI you would use one your TV is HDMI2, select your source on tour AV and you can use either your magic remote or your av receiver remote

This does not work for me. I connected my decoder to one of my input source HDMI ports on the AVR. The decoder disappeared from the on screen menu of the LG TV. In order to watch TV I had to change the input source channel of the AVR. I was then able to adjust the volume with the Magic remote, but no other buttons were working. Pressing the button with the 3 dots give me the “virtual remote” that belongs to the AVR and not the decoder. Ergo, this forces me to start using the remote for the decoder. Situation gets worse if I also connect the N-Switch directly to the AVR, because now I also have to use the AVR remote to switch between 2 input sources (in some occasions).

I don’t understand how I can setup the LG TV to recognize and display all devices that are connected to the AVR on their dedicated input sources. The required behavior for this to work is that the LG TV must send a command to the AVR to change the input source channel. This is technically possible since I use the Denon API in my home automation setup to do just that!

1 hour ago, Fennepa said:

This does not work for me. I connected my decoder to one of my input source HDMI ports on the AVR. The decoder disappeared from the on screen menu of the LG TV. In order to watch TV I had to change the input source channel of the AVR. I was then able to adjust the volume with the Magic remote, but no other buttons were working. Pressing the button with the 3 dots give me the “virtual remote” that belongs to the AVR and not the decoder. Ergo, this forces me to start using the remote for the decoder. Situation gets worse if I also connect the N-Switch directly to the AVR, because now I also have to use the AVR remote to switch between 2 input sources (in some occasions).

I don’t understand how I can setup the LG TV to recognize and display all devices that are connected to the AVR on their dedicated input sources. The required behavior for this to work is that the LG TV must send a command to the AVR to change the input source channel. This is technically possible since I use the Denon API in my home automation setup to do just that!

By "decoder" what device are you referring to, what are you decoding?  You will need to make sure that CEC control is also switched on on the "decoder" for it to function correctly.  I for example have a PS5, Nvidia shield, and Raspberry PI all connected to the AV receiver and my "magic" remote deffo control them all.  If I didn't do it this way I wouldn't get things like TrueHD or Dolby Atmos from my other devices.

In my example, I can for example I can press the "PC" button on my remote, and the PS5 will turn on, the TV switches to HDMI2 and then either remote can be used to control the PS5.  If I then press the Netflix button on my magic remote, the AV receiver will switch to TV, arc will handshake and all is well.

PC on my LG tv under input, it doesn't list all all devices, my guess its a limitation.  The problem is that cec isn't always using the standard protocal many tv manufacturers have their own names for it.  On my list it shows my Shield, PS4 and PS5 and Xbox, but doesn't show my Switch, Pi, Shield, or Snes.  But all you do is select HDMI2 on the TV then pick the appropriate source on the AV receiver.

27 minutes ago, Jez Brook said:

By "decoder" what device are you referring to, what are you decoding?  You will need to make sure that CEC control is also switched on on the "decoder" for it to function correctly. 

Sorry, I was referring to a digital TV decoder. I now understand why it is not working in my case: the decoder does not support cec. by the looks of it I would have to upgrade my contract with the provider to 4K. for that they deliver a different decoder that does support cec. thx for your patience to explain it to me. I now understand it!

However, to get back on topic, my setup should have nothing to do with the loss of sound from the TV to the AVR after the power loss. Also, it is strange that there does not seem to be a remedy to reset or re-initialize the situation. I'm not willing to do a forced power shut down for testing purposes, just to test my hypothesis that unplugging all devices for 15~30 min will do the reset. if it happens by accident, I will try this and I will post my results

On 2/17/2022 at 8:35 AM, Fennepa said:

Got it working. Found out that output port changed to HDMI 1 when the mainboard got switched out.  Now my magic remote isn't working. I'm have to take the TV apart and see what the Tech left disconnected.

On 2/19/2022 at 3:14 PM, Kham K said:

Got it working. Found out that output port changed to HDMI 1 when the mainboard got switched out.  Now my magic remote isn't working. I'm have to take the TV apart and see what the Tech left disconnected.

Thx. This may have put my on the right track, too. the problem I had returned without an apparent cause yesterday. I did the following to resolve the problem (for now):

1. Unplugged the DENON AVR power.
  2. Unplugged the HDMI2(ARC) cable (disconnect from AVR).
  3. Unplugged the HDMII1 cable (disconnect the TV decoder)
  4. Switched off Simplink on the LG TV.
  5. Connect the TV decoder to HDMI3.
  6. Factory Reset LG TV and setup the connection with the decoder from the setup wizard.
  7. Plugged in the HDMI2(ARC) cable for the AVR.
  8. Plugged in the AVR power and switched on the AVR.

In my case the LG TV correctly identified the AVR again, switched on Simplink automatically and asked my with a popup if I wanted to use to AVR as the sound output device. To summarize the above, the key point is that I do no longer use the HDMI1 output.

PS. Since I was a HDMI output short on the TV, I decided to connect the N-Switch directly to the AVR. As Jez Brook told me 3 times now, it does indeed show up as a device on the LG TV.

On 2/20/2022 at 7:32 PM, Fennepa said:

Thx. This may have put my on the right track, too. the problem I had returned without an apparent cause yesterday. I did the following to resolve the problem (for now):

1. Unplugged the DENON AVR power.
  2. Unplugged the HDMI2(ARC) cable (disconnect from AVR).
  3. Unplugged the HDMII1 cable (disconnect the TV decoder)
  4. Switched off Simplink on the LG TV.
  5. Connect the TV decoder to HDMI3.
  6. Factory Reset LG TV and setup the connection with the decoder from the setup wizard.
  7. Plugged in the HDMI2(ARC) cable for the AVR.
  8. Plugged in the AVR power and switched on the AVR.

In my case the LG TV correctly identified the AVR again, switched on Simplink automatically and asked my with a popup if I wanted to use to AVR as the sound output device. To summarize the above, the key point is that I do no longer use the HDMI1 output.

PS. Since I was a HDMI output short on the TV, I decided to connect the N-Switch directly to the AVR. As Jez Brook told me 3 times now, it does indeed show up as a device on the LG TV.

I have an LG CX and a Denon AVR (old model only have ARC port). I also faced with ARC issues, no sound from the TV through ARC :S I have tried almost all tricks ( new cable, playing with the settings, etc.), but not found any stable solution. Finally I have found a workaround which is working for me 100%!  

1. power on the LG CX (quickstart+ disabled)

2. the TV will automatically power on the Denon AVR, but at this stage for me is still no sound through ARC!

3. after step 2. switch the input on the AVR to “Media player” (I have a connected media player on that AVR hdmi port) and also switch the input on the tv to the input where your AVR is connnected to - it should be the ARC/eARC labelled hdmi port, at this point I just move between the menu items in the media player and I hear the menu sounds. 

4. If you hear the sounds from the media player then switch the source on the TV ie. start the Netflix app or any other source on the TV, after this for me the AVR is now switching back automatically to “TV Audio” and from now on the sound from the TV through ARC will arrive to the AVR :) Tried many times and working as a charm ;) Bests, Laszlo

I suffer with similar issue for almost 2 years now, with LG SM9010PLA, Apple TV, TV Box and Klipsh the Fives connected via HDMI cable.

Auto on/off via TV or connected devices works fine, the intermittent issue is the sound and volume control on the external speakers (sound not directed to the external speakers and/or volume control  not controlling speakers volume).

Usually, turning off/on the speakers manually solves the issue (may need to wait a few seconds before turning back on or issue will persist).

Tried all possible configuration variations on TV but nothing helped.

Suspecting from the speakers, asked help from Klipsch that advised to setup audio format to PCM and try a different HDMI cable, but issue persists.

What I lately could understand is that on the Apple TV > Settings > Remotes and Devices > Home Theater Control > Volume Control > shows “Auto via HDMI (Receiver)” when working correctly and shows “Auto via IR (TV)” indicating it is definitely something wrong with the CEC communication. 

Do you believe the root cause is the LG TV, the Apple TV HDMI or the Klipsch?

Trying to know what next door to knock for help.

Went through all this over the last few days with my new G2 and Bose Lifestyle 650. Bose used to run fine with my old LG OLED but having real issues with the new one. Trick was there was a setting to turn off CEC on the Bose, reboot and re-enable and all good. Other receivers may be a similar setting for it so it wasn't just about disabling on the TV- this was the reference that saved me 

On 8/26/2022 at 10:01 PM, Peter O said:

Went through all this over the last few days with my new G2 and Bose Lifestyle 650. Bose used to run fine with my old LG

link hidden, please login to view
but having real issues with the new one. Trick was there was a setting to turn off CEC on the Bose, reboot and re-enable and all good. Other receivers may be a similar setting for it so it wasn't just about disabling on the TV- this was the reference that saved me 

This solved my issues with a C2 and a Yamaha receiver.. power everything off at the wall and then turn on!  Thanks for posting the info.

On 11/10/2021 at 5:53 PM, Jez Brook said:

This annoying bug has existed for a while on LG tvs right back to 2017 models and I am sure before that, but I kinda have a working solution.

What you need to do is load up an audio source on HDMI (which ever is you arc arc output) and then once audio format is negotiated then switch back to your TV app such as netflix, etc.  This works 100% of the time.

So for example if you have let's say a ps5 or switch connected to your av received turn that on and wait for the av receiver to show a dts, dolby logo etc, I prefer to use my switch because it's the fastest to turn on.  Then just load what ever TV app you want to Netflix, YouTube etc amd you AV receiver (if set up right) will switch to TV and the arc negotiation will work correct and ARC audio will work fine unti you turn off your TV.

Ps turning off the tv doest always break arc, sometimes you turn it on after the above and it works as expected other times it still fails amd you have to perform the above step

Pps, if you can see arc has negotiated but still not audio but maybe you see  pcm logo even though you are using dts, dolby etc to fix that you need to set the to output to the tv then switch it back to hdmi.

Do not use the optical lead, it doesn't support decent audio, most basic 5.1 amd in some cases only stereo.

thanks for posting this. this is the only thing that works for me. factory reset on the TV did nothing. power cycle did nothing. plugging both units out of AC power for 2 days did nothing. playing with arc and cec settings did nothing. it's insane that i have to keep a stupid firestick to "fix" my $3500 TV every time it decides it doesn't like my receiver anymore. 

my receiver is an older pioneer unit that worked flawlessly with a samsung TV for at least 5 years. but this is the 3rd time my LG TV stopped talking to my receiver in the last year. the first time it just started working on its' own but the last two times i had to use this trick to get it to work again. 

On 11/10/2021 at 11:53 PM, Jez Brook said:

This annoying bug has existed for a while on LG tvs right back to 2017 models and I am sure before that, but I kinda have a working solution.

What you need to do is load up an audio source on HDMI (which ever is you arc arc output) and then once audio format is negotiated then switch back to your TV app such as netflix, etc.  This works 100% of the time.

So for example if you have let's say a ps5 or switch connected to your av received turn that on and wait for the av receiver to show a dts, dolby logo etc, I prefer to use my switch because it's the fastest to turn on.  Then just load what ever TV app you want to Netflix, YouTube etc amd you AV receiver (if set up right) will switch to TV and the arc negotiation will work correct and ARC audio will work fine unti you turn off your TV.

Ps turning off the tv doest always break arc, sometimes you turn it on after the above and it works as expected other times it still fails amd you have to perform the above step

Pps, if you can see arc has negotiated but still not audio but maybe you see  pcm logo even though you are using dts, dolby etc to fix that you need to set the to output to the tv then switch it back to hdmi.

Do not use the optical lead, it doesn't support decent audio, most basic 5.1 amd in some cases only stereo.

Hello,

How can I do that with an soundbar that isn't an av receiver?
My soundbar was working perfectly, and today it just stopped being recognized as ARC, just  says hdmi 2.

I can confirm trouble with HDMI eARC/ CEC on a 65" LG OLED65B9PLA.

I have the latest firmware updates, HDMI CEC permanently on.

Using with a Canton Smart Sounddeck 100 (2021, 2nd gen.), which receives also the latest firmware updates, supporting HMDI eARC, using a quality HDMI eARC cable to connect it with the TV eARC connector.

Both devices a instantly connected to the internet by an Ethernet cable. I tries several HDMI cables declared compatible with HDMI eARC.

The problem:

When I turn on the TV set the sounddeck doesn't turn on, or it turns on without sound or just with sound from the internal speakers, or it turns on with sound but setting the volume on the TV's remote is disabled.

I found out that most time, when I first turn on the sounddeck separately before turning on the TV the trouble does not appear. The same if I just put the sounddeck off and immediately on, the connection gets fully established.

I'd expect the TV waiting for the sounddeck coming up and connecting properly with all HDMI CEC options.

What I believe is the LG TV doesn't wait long for the sounddeck booting and answering the HDMI handshake and gives up the connection to early. Very probably a timeout from the LG side.

It takes some seconds for the sounddeck to boot when HDMI CEC gets active on the cable, altough it listens to it in standby mode.

Other sound sources to the sounddeck don't show this trouble, including Chromecast, DVD player, media player, etc. All they play fine when the sounddeck wakes up from sleeping and fully control it.

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Hi, It's me. Actually, once I turn off the TV i lose the communication to the soundbar. I have to unplug the HDMI and plug it again to force the handshake or whatever it is the two devices to work together.

I will try the workarounds from this thread as my workaround may damage the port on the TV 😨

I have an old 4K LG from 2015 that works fine with my Yamaha, EXCEPT for no sound (video stream is fine) from the FETCH Mighty when turning on the TV. Luckily the Yamaha RX-V385 AVR has SCENE buttons on the remote, and I set up the TV button to all the correct inputs, outputs, and sound to recognise the FETCH box properly. I use a tweaked DPL-MOVIE decoder set up for the TV scene button. It is 1 extra step after turning on the TV, waiting for the AVR to initialise, then turn on the FETCH box, then the scene button press, but we are used to that now.

This could well be a timing issue with the firmware (TV or FETCH box), as NO software is 100%.

Edited by td47
Clarifications

Go to settings 

sound out

select hdmi arc device

scroll down to all settings

scroll down one to sound

go to sound out

Use wired speakers and change to hdmi arc device

go back to sound and advanced settings

turn on earc support

On my Yamaha I select scene tv or audio 1