Quantcast

When is LG going to update the WebOS browser?

It is now 2020, and the WebOS browser in LG Smart TVs (which I believe is Chromium-based) is still massively out of date and doesn't work properly with a ton of websites!

The main problem is actually very simple. The browser doesn't support EMCAScript 2015 or ES6.

Basically, translated from nerd speak, it doesn't work properly with modern code using new features created since 2015, so any newer websites will break unless they've been written to be compatible with ancient browsers and OSes.

This should not be the case on a TV made in the current year. It should be running an up-to-date web browser, if not for convenience, then for SECURITY reasons as well!

• Like 3

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is now 2020, and the WebOS browser in LG Smart TVs (which I believe is Chromium-based) is still massively out of date and doesn't work properly with a ton of websites! The main problem is actu

I am planning on sorting this problem on my LG I am going to buy a Samsung TV which supports browsers that you would get on the internet, be a lot of money but am sick of this problem with LG and I su

YES!!!!! THIS THIS THIS Is there some kind of firmware update out there? This situation is really crazy for us LG smart TV owners. Constantly losing access to websites because the WebOS browser can

I am planning on sorting this problem on my LG I am going to buy a Samsung TV which supports browsers that you would get on the internet, be a lot of money but am sick of this problem with LG and I suggest if they cant fix it everyone who wants a Proper browser just do the same!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Basic speed test

- Laptop connected to same Ethernet outlet = 500+Mb/s

- Smart TV = 65Mb/s

Piece of networking/Browser crap

Security = None

Come on LG wake up and do the honorable thing to allow users to install a proper modern and more secure browser.  You are also putting our internet security at risk (I am looking at how to define a subnet for the darn TV)

Your App store...another example of very limited, and US centric, selection. 

I just bought the TV and I am sorry that I did not factor this networking and security in my research.  I suppose I will have to live with the issues BUT for sure that is has tainted my perspective on buying other LG products.  As soon as I see WebOS/LG I run for the exit door

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Mihai B.
      Hello,
      Is there any way of installing an usb gigabit network adapter on a webos smart TV?  The builtin wired adapter is only 100mbps (on a 2000$+ TV, shame  on you LG!!!)  while the wifi (N) is very poor, with the router at 1m from TV it only gets half the bandwidth of the wired network. Anyway the wired network  maxes out near 100mbps but I need more bandwidth as I have 4k video content with bitrates grater than 100mbps which I cannot stream without stuttering to TV through XPLAY/PLEX. 
      Kind regards,
    • By michaelbr
      Is it possible to install/add different browser in webOS? The default browser that came with TV has some issues (playing videos in Youtube, in full screen mode, just kept refreshing, in other modes plays find, other online streaming seems not working as well). In PC those sites worked just fine, without any problem.
    • By nino
      L' app Rai Replay pur selezionata non si avvia, non capisco se è installato l'aggiornamento (richiesto) del browser WEB OS TV  modello LG 49 UH603V ? grazie nino
    • By Khamikaze
      Hi there,

So VLC (via DLNA) does not see LG TV webOS as renderer option.
      Even Windows 7 (via Explorer / Windows Media Player) sees it.

What's special about LG TV webOS DLNA implementation that VLC does not see it?

Thanks,

PS: Some other related posts on this.

VLC Streaming to LG Smart TV

VLC on LG C8.

Streaming from Windows VLC to LG webOS TV?

How do I stream to my LG TV using the VLC Media Player on my HP Envy Desktop that is Running Windows 8

link hidden, please login to view  
    • By Mueen Mirza
      Request if we can have apps  that are available on other OS/platforms in WebOS basis the country
      This will improve user experience and satisfaction

• Similar Tagged Content

• By News Reporter
      LG Opens Popular Platform and Integrated Content Services to
      Manufacturers to Deliver Better TV Experience to Even More Consumers

SEOUL, Feb. 24, 2021 — LG Electronics (LG) announces the availability of its popular webOS TV platform ecosystem to other TV brand partners, disrupting the status quo in an industry known for its proprietary operating systems across different manufacturers. LG is now expanding its expertise beyond TV manufacturing to encompass webOS TV software platform development and adoption by other TV brands. This has the potential to reshape the TV business for both technology and content providers while significantly growing LG’s presence and prominence in the global home entertainment market.
      As an integral component of LG’s preeminent home entertainment ecosystem, webOS has delivered exceptional ease of use for LG TV owners through its intuitive interface design since 2014. Licensees of webOS TV receive the familiar and highly acclaimed UX design along with a rich pool of features such as voice search and control, integrated AI algorithms and easy connectivity that have earned webOS positive industry and consumer accolades. With LG webOS TV, partners also get a diversity of content options including access to global streaming service apps such as Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video and sports streaming service DAZN as well as LG Channels, the company’s free premium content streaming service.* Compatible TV models also include the dedicated Magic Motion remote controller.
      Over twenty TV manufacturers from around the world have already committed to the webOS partnership, including brands such as RCA, Ayonz and Konka with more partners expected to join in the future. The webOS ecosystem is supported by technology partners such as Realtek, Nuance, Gracenote, CEVA and Universal Electronics, among many others.
      “The webOS platform is one of the easiest and most convenient way to access millions of hours of movies and TV shows,” said Park Hyoung-sei, president of the LG Home Entertainment Company. “By welcoming other manufacturers to join the webOS TV ecosystem, we are embarking on a new path that allows many new TV owners to experience the same great UX and features that are available on LG TVs. We look forward to bringing these new customers into the incredible world of webOS TV.”
      # # #
      * Content app availability vary by region.

• By jaculson
      I have a LG TV model: 47LB652V-ZA, webOS version 1.4.0-2523 (afro-ashley). Why isn't Spotify supported for this TV if its from 2014 and it says that devices from 2013 and onwards will be supported
    • By Rick Hantz
      Pretty much unusable.
      Very slow - scrolling is terrible. 
      Compatibility with various Web sites is poor.
      Luckily I have an old Windows 7 computer connected.
      Why even have a browser that's so bad?
    • By Alex
      LG's webOS 6.0 smart TVs have a new UI, NFC-equipped remote
      The new smart TV software from LG also has more voice commands for use with Alexa or Google Assistant

Seven years after introducing webOS as the platform for its Smart TV lineup, LG is introducing version 6.0 with a new look and feel for its 2021 4K and 8K TVs. The old blade lineup of apps is gone, with a more modern tile-based layout. LG Home Entertainment president Park Hyoung-sei calls this “the most significant update since we first introduced webOS in 2014.”

An upgraded version of its ThinQ AI has more voice command control than ever whether you’re using Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa. For traditional control, this year’s edition of its Magic Remote is a bit more standard than some of the previous versions, but also includes NFC for the first time, which allows users to share content from phone to TV (and back) simply by tapping it.
      The new software includes Magic Explorer, which can pull up related content about actors, locations and items of interest for “select broadcast channels, while Next Picks analyzes viewing preferences to suggest things you might like. There’s no word on opt-in or opt-out preferences for these settings, but we’ll ask about them as the show progresses next week. It’s also unclear whether the updates will extend to older TVs in LG’s lineup, one way or another, the old HP software platform is still rolling on, powering new OLEDs and LCDs for another year.
      News source: