Quantcast

Yeah that's odd. I did notice mine says HDR (coming soon) and no mention of DolbyVision. However it does support 4K and DolbyVision. I haven't seen HDR though which is odd. Maybe all their HDR titles also support DolbyVision? I kind of doubt it, I think they have to pay a license fee per title for Dolby. Then again when I realized it was only sending stereo, I quickly moved to watching on my Xbox instead, so I haven't thoroughly explored titles on my LG. If they add 5.1 support it will be my main Disney+ device.

As I mentioned, for now, HDR10 + 5.1 > DolbyVision + stereo to me personally. So I'm sticking with the Xbox but checking for app updates weekly on the LG.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

link hidden, please login to view    

It is down to content providers to produce an app for the platform as LG would not have access to APIs, server settings etc.  Of course you can contact LG directly using the suggesting form link elsew

Disney like a lot of other content providers are going to provide first for the platforms that are most prevalent first as that will bring them the biggest return/income.  If you want Disney to releas

Posted Images

It does sound like there's issues specific to some models, but I don't think the app supports 5.1 sound period yet on WebOS, for any model. I imagine their thinking was that everyone can use4k, DolbyVision, or HDR if their set has it, but a smaller number have those settings outputting surround over ARC or optical output, so they are adding the fancy stuff that all customers can see first.

There's enough apps not available on webOS. While it does have a cost, I recommend getting some other streaming device to compliment it. That would also give you 4k for now, but I'm not sure about DolbyVision on other devices. HDR should be fine as long as it supports it. I use Fandor and VRV which, at least last I checked, didn't have webOS apps. Between my Roku and Xbox One X, I have everything I need covered though. With a modern 4k Roku I wouldn't even need the Xbox as far as video streaming, but my Roku is a 1080p model. No Fandor app on Xbox either though (again, last I checked).

Just now, Hastor said:

There's enough apps not available on webOS. While it does have a cost, I recommend getting some other streaming device to compliment it. That would also give you 4k for now, but I'm not sure about DolbyVision on other devices. HDR should be fine as long as it supports it. I use Fandor and VRV which, at least last I checked, didn't have webOS apps. Between my Roku and Xbox One X, I have everything I need covered though. With a modern 4k Roku I wouldn't even need the Xbox as far as video streaming, but my Roku is a 1080p model. No Fandor app on Xbox either though (again, last I checked).

Is a Roku Stick good enough or do I need the Roku with a HDMI port?

The Roku Stick+ appears to support 4k and HDR. Of course, it plugs into an HDMI port, similar to how a USB stick plugs in a USB port. My older 1080p Roku Stick was USB powered, so I could use its included adapter, or just the USB port on my TV to power it. In that case, I found the stick to be sluggish to navigate compared to the nicer models, but that might not be the case with the newer 4k model. I have 3 Rokus, and they are all over 5 years old. My Roku LT is also sluggish, but has RCA outputs so I use it when I want to use my older CRT TV. I can't remember if it is 720p or 1080p max. The stick does 1080p but again, sluggish menus. My Roku 3 is great and responsive, outputs up to DD+ 5.1, but is from the 1080p era. It also has an RF remote that allows you to connect headphones to the remote. Drains battery faster but is handy.

Whether it is a stick or not doesn't matter as long as it supports the features you want, but I'd check reviews. Even for the ones with sluggish menus, they are fine once a video starts playing.

Roku doesn't support Dolby Vision, so if you're a fan you can skip that.  The new Fire TV cube does, but had problems with HDMI handshake and only displayed HD.  Also, no built in Ethernet so you're forced to use wifi (the included ethernet dongle is usb 2.0 and had worse throughput than wifi).  Apple TV supports Dolby Vision if you dont mind the price.  I looked into all 3rd party support when it looked like LG wasn't going  to get Disney+.  PS over 24 hours and no response from Disney on my issues.

• 3 weeks later...

LG wouldn't have automatically installed Disney+ on my TV after it was released, would they? I went to look for it and it was already installed. I'm sure I did and forgot about it, but not certain.

Separate topic: I remember reading about this, but it is pretty annoying that already watched episodes don't track from the web. It wanted to start over on Mandalorian even though I had already watched the first three episodes on the web a few days ago.

2 hours ago, grabber5.0 said:

LG wouldn't have automatically installed Disney+ on my TV after it was released, would they? I went to look for it and it was already installed. I'm sure I did and forgot about it, but not certain. emoji1787.png

Separate topic: I remember reading about this, but it is pretty annoying that already watched episodes don't track from the web. It wanted to start over on Mandalorian even though I had already watched the first three episodes on the web a few days ago.

Yes, they do that. Whenever a mainstream app is released its always there on my tv automatically, never had to install one.

• Like 1
On 9/7/2019 at 5:59 AM, schneidernet said:

Me too. I've subscribed but so far will be unable to watch it. I have Fire TV but Amazon and Disney are not friends. Don't want to buy a Roku. No good Android TV boxes except Shield but it's long in the tooth. Thinking maybe a Chromecast Ultra via my tablet. CORDCUTTING IS HARD!

Hi there what is the problem that you have with your fire tv and disney+, im using the service since november 12 so far so good on amazon fire tv stick except for the problems from the service itself.

I just want DD 5.1 so I can have surround and DolbyVision both at once. At least I'm only really watching the Mandolorian which doesn't benefit from HDR/DV  like Disney claims. Even with HDR from my Xbox, you'd never guess it. Love the show but it isn't using colors in the HDR range like other things obviously are. Hopefully season 2 will use proper DV and the app will support surround sound by then.