Quantcast

• Own an LG TV or webOS device? Join our Forum!

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

George Hofmeister

For all those who...

For all those who bemoan the lack of support from LG when things do not work as expected the following article makes interesting reading:

link hidden, please login to view

Personally I have worked in the tech world long enough to already have realised all the points made by the author and have adjusted my expectations accordingly (not just with my LG Smart TV but many other products).

• Like 2

Good article. Its very true and goes inline with why people complaining that their old tvs cant get an update, who may not realize that every year hardware is updated, like buying a computer. Eventually it will be outdated. Back in the day you could buy a tube tv and sit on it for 10 years. Nowadays, screens and hardware is accelerating so fast. 8 years ago I bough a 50" plasma and still use it today. It's not smart and only has 720p. Do I throw it away for a 4k and smart interface because I want newer features? Probably at some point.

I always tell people with computers and laptops, don't spend on the top of the line hardware because it will be outdated in a year or two. I bought my 50" plasma on black friday 8 years ago for $600.  Today I can get a 50" 4K LG smart tv for $299 on sale!

image.thumb.png.e2c45c46d118dd32493d8053e96b8b0c.png

• Like 1

Hi ajmboy,

Indeed the internal hardware in TVs out-dates very quickly at the moment, more so than mobile phones.  My sister & brother-in-law have LG running the old NetCast OS and they have just added a ROKU box to it as the on-board software is beginning to show its age.   Why did they not just buy a new TV?  Well the picture quality is still great, it is only 1080p but there again they do not have anything that requires 4K, and more importantly the ROKU only cost £20.  I reckon if I can get three years use out of webOS on my 2016 model LG I will be doing OK, if things get really buggy with the OS after that then I will just add a 4K ROKU.  For me it is more the quality of the picture that the feature set the TV comes with, I would probably even look to see if LG does a 'dumb' TV next time I need to purchase one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By b4lazs
      HBO GO app doesn't work since it was updated on 28th of May.  App starts up, HBO GO logo shows up, then the rotating circles shown ... forever, nothing more happens
      To fix this I've tried the followings:
      - restarted IPS router
      - connected TV to my phone (through wi-fi) so internet was connected through 4G, means there is no IPS/router/local net related problem
      - deleted app, restarted TV (unplugged power, switched quick start option off in TV menu), reinstalled app many times
      - checked if theres any WebOS updates, no updates found, it is up-to-date
      - HBO GO works well on all other devices at home (AndroidTV box for an other TV, laptops, phones, tablets)
      - all other apps are working well on the TV (Emby, Netflix, Youtube etc)
      Despite all these no changes unfortunately, still doesn't functioning.
      Type: 55UK6300MLB, WebOS is latest version.
    • By Mihai B.
      Few days ago I received my new 55EG920V 4k OLED TV 2015 model with passive 3D and after a brief testing it turned out that 4k over DLNA isn't supported in WebOS2.0 - LG customer support already confirmed that. Of course, this limitation isn’t explicitly stated anywhere, neither in the the owner’s manual nor on the LG official website. The same MKV HEVC file would play well enough through USB, but not DLNA. So for the unlucky WebOS2.0 4k TV owners, the only way of playing 4k content from the home network is through USB. This is mind blowing, in the high speed internet connections and gigabyte ethernet era, LG force its own customers to move USB sticks between computer and TV.
      Leaving out important information through omission means misleading commercial practices: 
      link hidden, please login to view. Are LG or WebOS developers willing to fix this issue through a future firmware update?

PS. the passive 3D is spectacular, this is the main reason I bought this somehow outdated 4k TV
      PS2. could someone with a WebOS3.0 or 3.5 TV confirm that 4k over DLNA is supported with this newer OS versions?
    • By mcored
      Yesterday, I connected my 2 TB external HDD formatted as exFAT to my 55" webOS TV to realise that it was not reading - turns out that the TV does not support exFAT. 
    • By Deepraj T
      I hope LG check this forum.
      Powerful Browser App like Google Chrome that is able to play videos of Amazon Prime, the default browser  is like Kids play, taking ages to load. Able to control streaming quality in apps like Prime Video, Hotstar, NetFlix, Sunnxt etc., i do not understand how hard for any developer to put this feature in app, I think  WebOS SDK expose this to developer to provide this feature. File Explorer that allow us to store data in TV Wifi file Transfer App like ShareIT(Android) More Apps(MX Player, Jio Tv, Jio Cinema, Airtel Xtreme,  VLC Player etc.....)... i feel the most apps available in the content store are crap and useless  Actually i did not do much research before purchasing UK6360PTE TV, I never expected this much difference from Android TV, i do not know how LG even thinking to compete with this WebOS , because people are getting intelligent and do research before purchase of a TV. they definitely find Android TVs more feature rich.