Quantcast

Streaming 4K content with high bitrate

bfds89

Question

Hi. 

I've got a LG OLED C7 with smart IP TV app. I'm having trouble watching 4k movies with high bitrates ( some movies have bitrates higher than 80mpbs). I already connected the TV with wifi AC (5Ghz) instead of ethernet connection (which has only 100mbps port).  

My internet connection has a speed of 200mbps (tested on tv browser).  Nevertheless I'm struggling playing those 4k high bitrate movies. Every few minutes it buffers.

What can be the problem? The TV plays high bitrate movies from USB or bluray and the internet speed should be enough for those bitrates.

Is it possible to install a gigabit ethernet port in the pcmcia port?

Thanks for your help. 

9 answers to this question

The simple answer is no, but as long as the bitrates do not top 100mbps then the standard network card would do fine.  So you could at least do some testing with a cable to see if the issue is with the WiFi itself or something else.  That said the AC wireless card in the TV should be more than equal to the task you are asking of it. 

What source are you trying to stream from? 
Are you streaming directly from the modem/router to the TV?
Is anyone else in the house using the network when the buffering occurs?

5 minutes ago, bfds89 said:

Hi,

I'm using SMART IPTV app with an iptv list.

The service provider already guaranteed that the server is more than capable to share media through internet.

I also tested playing movies through usb pen with success. Initially I was connected  with ethernet port, but experiencing buffering issues, so I decided to connect with wireless so I could achieve more speed (around 200mbps).

Basically I'm trying to stream High bitrate 4K movies (Bluray quality) through internet with no success (buffering from time to time), but I already guaranteed that the problem is not with the server and also by connecting with a speed that is superior than the bitrate of the movies.  Also the 5GHz band is used exclusively by the TV with no interference from the neighborhood, since they use only the 2.4GHz band.

If I could use a PCMCIA card with gigabit connection it would be great.

So you have experienced buffering on both wired and wireless connections?

Just because the content provider's server is capable of streaming 4K and you connection can hit a peak that should be good enough, there are a whole lot of things between them and you that can cause issues.  

I was not thinking of interference with the 5GHz WiFi, but more people using the local/house network.  For instance Windows does have not bandwidth restrictions so if someone downloaded a file while you were streaming Windows will potentially hog all the available bandwidth.  Some modem/routers offer bandwidth quotas for devices, this would help prevent such a problem.  Another things to think about is whether the modem/router has the latest firmware installed.

If you know someone with a suitable Netflix account (or any other service with 4K content) and would let you use their details you could stream a 4K video with them to see if you had the same issue.

Just now, nemilose said:

Did you test the same stream on a computer with gigabit ethernet?

Well yeah. but I guess my laptot ASUS K550JX with a i74750HQ and a nvidia geforce gtx950m is not enough to run movies using HEVC codec with high bitrate, the movies displays lots of artifacts when watching on PC.

4 hours ago, bfds89 said:

Yes, with wired connection I though it was of the bottleneck of 100mbps port so I changed to Wifi AC.

The TV is the only equipment using the 5GHz network in my household.

I have a Netflix account and it works flawless, but Netflix doesn't stream high bitrate movies,  I think the bitrate of netlflix is around 20-25mbps so this work well.

I remind you that the content I'm trying to stream has bluray quality with very high bitrates.

Hi,

Yes I get that you are trying to stream hit bitrate streams, but no I did not know about the Netflix bitrate.  

When it comes to the WiFi I am not suggesting that something is interfering with the signal, more that is there anything else on the 2.4GHz/wired networks that are using bandwidth?  The traffic is going to pass through the same modem router at the end of the day.

Do you have access to an alternative modem/router for testing?

Hi

as i assume you are trying to stream the high bit rate video from a remote server, can i know your internet speed?

do you have any idea about the video bit rate of the 4k video

secondly, the pcmcia card cannot use for extending system capabilities. Its just a card slot to add subscription cards for satallite channels ( scrambled channels) also part of some regulatory laws.

On 10/26/2018 at 11:24 AM, bfds89 said:

Yes, with wired connection I though it was of the bottleneck of 100mbps port so I changed to Wifi AC.

I have a Netflix account and it works flawless, but Netflix doesn't stream high bitrate movies,  I think the bitrate of netlflix is around 20-25mbps so this work well.

I remind you that the content I'm trying to stream has bluray quality with very high bitrates.

4K Blu-Ray maxes out at 128 Mbit/s. I 99.99% guarantee your IPTV service is not outputting at anything close to that bandwidth. If they *are* sharing movies at anything close to that bitrate I also 99.99% guarantee it is pirated content. Don't try to have your cake and eat it too; just buy a 4K Blu-Ray player, invest in some discs, pay a legitimate price for content and enjoy top quality without buffering.

19 minutes ago, George Hofmeister said:

The simple answer is no, but as long as the bitrates do not top 100mbps then the standard network card would do fine.  So you could at least do some testing with a cable to see if the issue is with the WiFi itself or something else.  That said the AC wireless card in the TV should be more than equal to the task you are asking of it. 

What source are you trying to stream from? 
Are you streaming directly from the modem/router to the TV?
Is anyone else in the house using the network when the buffering occurs?

Hi,

I'm using SMART IPTV app with an iptv list.

The service provider already guaranteed that the server is more than capable to share media through internet.

I also tested playing movies through usb pen with success. Initially I was connected  with ethernet port, but experiencing buffering issues, so I decided to connect with wireless so I could achieve more speed (around 200mbps).

Basically I'm trying to stream High bitrate 4K movies (Bluray quality) through internet with no success (buffering from time to time), but I already guaranteed that the problem is not with the server and also by connecting with a speed that is superior than the bitrate of the movies.  Also the 5GHz band is used exclusively by the TV with no interference from the neighborhood, since they use only the 2.4GHz band.

If I could use a PCMCIA card with gigabit connection it would be great.

1 minute ago, George Hofmeister said:

So you have experienced buffering on both wired and wireless connections?

Just because the content provider's server is capable of streaming 4K and you connection can hit a peak that should be good enough, there are a whole lot of things between them and you that can cause issues.  

I was not thinking of interference with the 5GHz WiFi, but more people using the local/house network.  For instance Windows does have not bandwidth restrictions so if someone downloaded a file while you were streaming Windows will potentially hog all the available bandwidth.  Some modem/routers offer bandwidth quotas for devices, this would help prevent such a problem.  Another things to think about is whether the modem/router has the latest firmware installed.

If you know someone with a suitable Netflix account (or any other service with 4K content) and would let you use their details you could stream a 4K video with them to see if you had the same issue.