Quantcast

Google Assistant is coming to LG’s ThinQ TV in seven more countries

Alex

LG’s 2018 lineup of AI-enabled ThinQ TVs are going to be getting Google Assistant functionality in many of its international markets. Starting 8/24, Google Assistant will be available in Canada, Australia, and the UK, with support coming to South Korea, Spain, France, and Germany by the end of the year.

LG’s ThinQ TVs came with integrated Google Assistant when they launched in the US and added support for Alexa commands soon after. The built-in ThinQ AI, which runs on LG’s own WebOS can be used for TV-specific commands, such as “search for the soundtrack of this movie,” while Google Assistant and Alexa can be used as a smart home hub. You can basically use the TV the same way you’d use your Google Home by speaking commands into the mic on your remote.

LG is also planning on bringing Amazon Alexa support to Australia and Canada in the future, but no time is specified yet.

Google Assistant Google Assistant

Source: 

link hidden, please login to view

• 9 months later...

Any information about when it will available for Brazil or any other country from Latin America? Currently I can switch to countries from LA, but none of them is in the above list 😕
The language is not the problem (I usually setup my devices to EN-us) you could just toggle it for our region  or make it clear somewhere for the buyers to see that the feature is not available outside a few main countries...

• 4 weeks later...

So I just moved from the US to New Zealand.  I changed my LG store to allow for local apps to be installed.  This caused the Google Assistant to stop working....

Set the location to Australia as that is listed as one of the working countries (google assistant on my phone is Aussie by default).  This still does not work.

Why are there so many region restrictions on these TV's?  I think I will just buy a Android TV next time.

• Like 1

This was response from LG on January 8 this year for asking when Google assistant will be available in Sweden.

Thank you for contacting LG Electronics. 
We would be grateful if you could rate our service and comment by using the scale in the bottom of this email, thank you in advance. 

Support for Google Home will be released in an update at the start of this year. Unfortunately, we have no exact release date but rest assured it's coming soon. 

We hope you found this information useful. For further questions, you are more than welcome to contact us again. 

Best regards, 

William D 
LG Support Nordic 

LG Electronics Nordics 
Phone: 0770 54 54 54 
Open hours: 08:00 – 18:00 Regular weekdays 

After reply to LG last month requesting on what is the status. I got no feedback. 

Shame that spending money for ThinkQ AI cant include simple stuff. Kodi has plenty of advantages and does not cost.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By 152bobby
      I have been trying to get my Google Home and Nest Audio Speakers to turn my LG OLED65C24LA TV on and off.   I have linked ThinQ to Google Home but it still wouldn't work.  So plan B was to get a Chromecast to do this one simple voice activated request....I have no intentions of using Chromecast for anything else!
      So this actually does work, however, when asking it to turn the TV on, it defaults to the home page of Chromecast TV, I want it to just open to my normal TV system, which is Sky Q.  Ideally, I would like to disconnect the Chromecast and just get Google Home and ThinQ to do this !!
      I have checked every setting and trawled the internet for a solution.  I've posted on the AV Forum in the UK and the Google Forum and I'm waiting on a call back from LG Support UK.
      I expected this to be a VERY simple task !!
      Can anyone help with this ?
    • By Maor
      Hi !
      I am going to buy a new LG TV, probably - which comes with WebOS (not android TV). Now, one of the features I really liked with Android TV is the ability to set ambient mode with chosen google photos albums. Is it possible also with WebOS? (without connecting any external streamer, I prefer to use the TV operating system).

Thanks!
      Maor
    • By ForbiddenDOnut
      The title more or less says it. I got an LG C3 over the weekend. I have chromecast with google tv for the other TVs in the house so was hoping to stay within that ecosystem. The native apps work well (except that Plex won't play dolby vision), but I've noticed a strange quirk with the chromecast. It plays Dolby Vision just fine and without issues, but standard HDR content gets played in SDR. I've made sure that the "Deep Color" mode is enabled for that HDMI port, but I'm not sure where the trouble is coming form.
      Any insights or things to try would be appreciated!
    • By News Reporter
      Delivering the First Commercial Implementation of HCA Specification 1.0,
      Company Expands Smart Home Ecosystem Through Partnerships With Other Brands

SEOUL, Aug. 29, 2023 — LG Electronics (LG) is set to present the first commercial implementation of the Home Connectivity Alliance’s HCA Specification 1.0, enabling cross-brand appliance connectivity through the LG ThinQ smart home platform. By the end of this year, consumers will be able to control appliances from diverse brands, such as Samsung and Vestel, with the intuitive-to-use ThinQ app, providing seamless interconnectivity and a smarter, more convenient home.
      With a firm commitment to customer experience innovation, LG has joined with other brands to bring the elegant simplicity of cross-brand compatibility to major markets worldwide, including South Korea, the United States and Europe. The partnership will initially cover major appliance product categories, such as washing machines, dryers and dishwashers, and will gradually be expanded to other types of appliances in the future.
      The widespread adoption of HCA Specification 1.0 to development makes it possible to monitor and control various brands’ home appliances and air solutions using a single application. With the ThinQ app, users just have to register their compatible products, and then they’re ready to enjoy the ease and time-saving freedom of one-stop device management. Those with an LG washing machine and a Samsung dishwasher in the home, for example, will no longer have to switch between each manufacturer’s app to set their preferred wash cycle and cleaning settings.
      The arrival of true cross-brand interconnectivity is the realization of the HCA’s vision for a seamlessly unified smart home experience. Founded in January 2022 and comprising a number of smart home solutions manufacturers, the HCA aims to provide cloud-based interoperability between the smart home platforms of its member companies. As a board member of the alliance, LG has been working closely with other appliance makers, including Samsung and Vestel, to drive the adoption of HCA Specification 1.0, with the ultimate goal of enhancing user convenience.
      Committed to expanding the smart home ecosystem, LG has also actively supported the work of the Connectivity Standards Alliance (CSA), a global organization dedicated to developing open communication protocols for smart home devices. LG contributed to the development and standardization of the Matter protocol, an Internet Protocol-based home IoT communications standard led by the CSA.
      “LG ThinQ enables a seamlessly interconnected home appliance ecosystem that will provide new smart home experiences to customers around the globe,” said Jung Ki-hyun, executive vice president and head of platform business center. “LG will continue to expand compatibility between ThinQ and other HCA members’ smart home platforms.”
      # # #

link hidden, please login to view
    • By AVTech
      I have been in hi end AV technology for years and I have purchased a ThinQ "smart" TV. After finally finding a way to stop the ridiculous loud static start up now I want to find a way to have the TV start at an installed app (Google TV etc.) instead of the unused antenna or HDMI input. It seem this would be the default if not just an option on a smart TV when actually using installed apps. Have I been missing something or is this some bizarre epic fail? 

Thanks 
  • Similar Tagged Content