Quantcast

gigabit ethernet on smart TV

Mihai B.

Question

Hello,

Is there any way of installing an usb gigabit network adapter on a webos smart TV?  The builtin wired adapter is only 100mbps (on a 2000$+ TV, shame  on you LG!!!)  while the wifi (N) is very poor, with the router at 1m from TV it only gets half the bandwidth of the wired network. Anyway the wired network  maxes out near 100mbps but I need more bandwidth as I have 4k video content with bitrates grater than 100mbps which I cannot stream without stuttering to TV through XPLAY/PLEX. 

Kind regards,

Hi All,

Lots of thanks to everyone that has answered questions in this post. It has been very useful to me.

I have now an strange trouble.

Currently I have a C8 TV, and I have instaled the GbEthernet USB device, and it works fine. I have 300Mbps Upload and Dowload rate in the TV, which is the maximum that a USB 2 is capable. I have tested using the TV Web Browser and making a Internet Speed Test, having 300Mbps in Dowload and 295 in Upload, I have 600Mbps fiber connections).

I play the videos using "Image and Video" standard application with a DLNA Synology Server (Video Station) in a DS220+ NAS. And the TV is connected via HDMI ARC to a Yamaha RX-V481 Home Cinema.

I have also tested some of the JellyFish videos, and the system is capable to run smothly up the 180mbps 4k uhd hevc 10 bits

link hidden, please login to view
180 Mbps 3840x2160 HEVC Main10 5.2 High 658 MB

When i go to the resource monitor in the NAS, I can see the Network Thorughput. When playing Jelly180Mbps, the network adapter is in 25/28 Mbytes/s which is barely close to the 300Mbps that I have tested as my maximum suported.

When trying the 200mbs file, it begin to suffer slowdowns.

So, apparently, I have solved the problem with the UHD rips...

But... no... i don't.

I have been making test with LOTR UHD Rips, with DTS sound in Spanish, French, Italian, and i'm still suffering with momentanium stops. And here is the strange things:

- When playing LOTR Rip, the NAS Network Thorughput is under 15/17 Mbytes, that is much lower than my maximum supported and tested.

- When this short stops occur, I can see in the display of the Yamaha Receiver, that the leds indicating the type of Sound (5.1, dts, etc...) they switch off, and then switch on again.

- When I play this rip, from a USB Hard Disk docked directly to the TV USB, I dont have this problem.

Any ideas?

Well, I have given up on LG's WebOS mainly because there are few apps, badly implemented.

Instead I bought an Amazon FireStick 4k, side loaded Kodi + Plex addon and now it works like a charm. The interface has virtually no lag (like WebOS has) and WiFi (ac) speed is grater than 200 mbps. And there are plenty of apps well implemented. Just an example - Plex official app on WebOS is almost unusable, it transcodes 4k video content unnecessarily, but the same content would direct play on Plex android app...

LG should move to Android! IMO WebOS is exactly like Windows Mobile, a dead OS.

On 1/15/2021 at 4:57 PM, Brukernavn said:

Can I ask if you are able to cast to Youtube or Netflix from your phone? 

I'm not doing it. My iPhone Youtube App, is able to "call" the LG Youtube App, and start playing the video. The "start" is sent from the phone, and I can stop, or add more videos to the queue from the phone, but i think, the phone is not Streaming the video to the TV, is just an interface sending commands to the TV Youtube App.

4 hours ago, Rubén aka. Metalbag said:

I'm not doing it. My iPhone Youtube App, is able to "call" the LG Youtube App, and start playing the video. The "start" is sent from the phone, and I can stop, or add more videos to the queue from the phone, but i think, the phone is not Streaming the video to the TV, is just an interface sending commands to the TV Youtube App.

Thanks! That's just what I wanted to know. I'm not able to send commands to the TV with the USB ethernet adapter I'm using, but I am able to stream from ny NAS. If it works for you, then it's an issue with my adapter so it might be worth a try getting the Cable Matters one. 

With regards to the issue you were having, the behavior you describe is the same that happens to me when bandwidth is exceeded. Does the stop occur at times with a lot of information is audio and video? Bitrate is not constant, so some scenes could cause a peak that triggers buffering, while the rest of the movie streams fine? 

Hi, does anybody have a suggestion on what adapter might work with a UN73? (i'd imagine this will be the same for UN7300/UM7300/UN7000 series/UM7000 series)

thus far, i know the following adapter DOES NOT WORK:

link hidden, please login to view

Thanks

[Edit/]  I just ordered the recommended Cable Matters adapter, i'll report back results.

didn't work 😕

I've tested 3 USB-Ethernet adapter, and I'm having no luck.

1- USB 2.0 , gigabit ethernet by Plugable ; this one the TV (a 65C8)

2- USB 2.0, 100Mbit/s ethernet Apple Adapter

3- USB 3.0, gigabit, no idea the brand; I think it came with a Gigabyte laptop

for 1 and 2, I get a message about an unsupported USB device has been plugged; no connection is established, switch light doesn't light up.

For 3, the little LED on the adapter starts blinking, switch light tells me it's sync a gigabit link. TV gives no message of anykind. Router doesn't give it an IP address. Still no connection.

A bit annoyed, I spent my day running CAT6 cable through my wall, only to realise that the TV doesn't support gigabit :) Netflix app gives me a 98Mbit/s link over ethernet and 128Mbit/s over wifi.

Yet, over ethernet re-buffering appears instantaneous (I have gigabit ethernet)

Edit: so adapter 3 works when plugged in port 3 and if no other USB device is connected first. I found that it was working if I turned off the TV fully, unplug all other USB devices, plug the ethernet and start the TV. Then you can plug the other USB devices.

Not much quicker than via the ethernet port and still slower than wifi

• Like 1

I have a fairly new LG OLED (OLED55G16LA). I was shocked when I found this page. I had been trying to troubleshoot what appeared to be a flaky network. After a new switch and a new cable I got to the point of plugging the new cable into my desktop and getting 600MB as reported by Speedtest App, then unplugging the cable and plugging it (directly)  into my shiny and expensive LG TV and getting (via Speedtest in the LG browser) download  speeds ranging from 10-MB up to 60 MB. Curiously I was getting upload speeds of 80-95MB. At this point I began to suspect the Network Interface on the LG and found this thread.

I have ordered a USB3 Cable Matters adapter and will report whether it works with my TV model.

• Like 1

A quick follow up: While waiting for the Cable Matters adapter to arrive and inspired by posts to this thread, I played around with WiFi. Specifically I moved a redundant Airport WiFi router to the end of the cable previously connected to the TV and set up a new network. With the TV connected to the new WiFi network (at a distance of about 2 metres) I got speeds of over 200Mbps download as reported by the WebOS speed check tool and 50Mbps upload. Mysteriously, Speedtest in the WebOS browser still reported only (variable) 40-90 Mbps download and 200 Mbps upload. Finally, and again based on hints in this thread, I found the Netflix speed check and that reports 280Mbps. For comparison, my iPhone 12 connected to the same WiFi reports 400Mbps up and down.

Tentative conclusion. (1) Software is playing a role, (2) LG seems to have deprecated Ethernet in favour of WiFi, (3) I now have satisfactory speed even if the Cable Matters adapter still doesn't work. I'll still test the adapter when it arrives and put results here.

• Like 1

The Cable Matters adapter arrived. Plugged it in and it works as described in this thread -. LG Network reports neither Ethernet or WiFI connected but everything works. The LG built-in speed test gives 220 Mbps download and 60 Mbps upload. Speedtest.net in the LG browser gives 60 Mbps download and 210Mbps upload. Netflix reports a network speed of 320 Mbps. Speedtest.net app on my iMac computer gives 601 Mbps download and 546Mbps upload.

Thanks for the pointers. It seems I have two valid options - Cable Matters adapter and dedicated WiFi. I'll stick with Cable Matters adapter for now and see if I find anything that causes problems with it, knowing I have WiFi as a fallback.

This has been a very useful thread - for me at least. I wonder why LG don't make their lack of interest in Ethernet clearer. Their new TVs seem to have adequate WiFi support, but Ethernet is barely acceptable on a machine of this price.

• Like 1

Bought a Cable Matters USB 3 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (202013) today and it works with my LG OLED55CXPUA. Mostly. It does not show it connected or any message pop on screen but speeds jumped from below 100mbs (70ish average) to 170-190mbs.This speed does not stay constant though. It drops below 100mbs occasionally.

It does seem to want to switch to the WiFi if I open the Network controls on the TV which then takes it down to around 30-40mbs. Turning the TV off and back on seems to get the connection back to the Ethernet adapter but not always back to higher speeds. Sometimes it goes back to 40-50mbs while still connected to the Ethernet adapter and WiFi turned off.

I wish there was some way to be able to select it or make sure it stays connected to the Adapter with WiFi on so I can use Apple Play. All of this seems to be limited by the TV software somehow but could also be my Internet service, Even when I get 50ish mbs speeds download it will show 300+ upload speeds.

All speeds were measured using Speedtest.net through the LG web browser and Centurylink Fiber Gig service.

I have a 65” SM9000pua… internet bandwidth on my computer and cell phone. are always about 300mbps down/ 50mbps up….  never noticed buffering issues at all before attempting to stream 4k content from the Hulu and Paramount + app.  I have tried both hardwire and Wi-Fi….  It’s very frustrating… I don’t want to have to stream media content through my Xbox one S if I can avoid it…. But that is seemingly the only way I can watch those two apps with 4k content.  I was more thinking that the issue was that hulu and Paramount + don’t encode the 4k content efficiently… because I don’t have any issues streaming Netflix, Prime Video, YouTube TV, HBO Max, Showtime, Peacock, or Disney + in their 4k (or equivalent formats).  I wish that Hulu and Paramount + would at least utilize the TV’s disk space better to buffer… but it seems like they are streaming “on the fly” of sorts.

On 22/11/2019 at 15:30, delaroche said:

Leí mis especificaciones (TV del libro), tengo USB 2.0 (Tipo A) (x3... solo para que quede más claro

Hi, it`s supposed to be capped at 300/400 Mbpsfor using an 2.0 USB. In my case 340 Mbps out of 500 (in a MI box).