Quantcast

[pivotCE]TCL’s Palm phone will run android…duh

pivotCE

Palm_logo_2005.png?resize=480%2C480

Android Police broke the story earlier today that

link hidden, please login to view
sometime in the 2nd quarter this year.  And surprise…it runs Android.

Sadly that’s all we know for now.

It’s taken TCL a long time to do anything with the Palm brand.  We first talked about it . It started as an unveil of sorts at CES in 2015 when they had purchased the Palm brand and they’d be crowd-sourcing from “Palm’s very own community” what to do with it.  No idea what they meant by that… They even launched a website placeholder that directed palm.com to mynewpalm.com. Both of which are no longer doing anything. But trust me when I say I’ll be hammering the refresh button for the near future on palm.com.

Fun fact:  This topic was also the written on the now silent webOSNation.com to give you a reference for how long it took TCL to do something!

At any rate, I’m glad the wheels are turning and I’ll hold judgement until I see what they release though the carrier exclusivity announcement makes my eye twitch. Even former Palm CEO Jon Rubinstein knew and the remnants of Palm. “I think the deal we had with Verizon really hurt us, but who knew that at the time? These things are all hindsight.

TCL can use hindsight for historical evidence though. Hopefully they’re crunching the numbers…

#PalmForever

Related posts:

• Similar Topics

• By Low Grade
      i thought of using my handphone to act as a remote control for the TV.............but it will only work with WiFi ??!!

i had BlueTooth still turned on..............TV is using LAN connection only.........and the phone can no longer control the TV (the phone can control the TV with WiFi on)............is this normal ?? 

many thanks in advance............
    • By Asrar ul haq
      Hey,

I recently brought a LG C1 OLED tv along with a LG SP9YA soundbar. I have been having issues to screenscast from my Samsung s21 plus phone on the TV when connected to sounbar. There is a clear lag and eventually screencast gets disconnected saying signal for smart view screencast is bad (reconnecting could help, but it never does). Updated all the apps on TV and phone but it didn't resolve the issue.

I dont understand what to do
    • By Youssef Abdallah
      I’m trying to cast from an app on my phone to LG QLED but the app on my phone is telling me that (recording is prohibited,video stopped because TV output is ON or device is recording . Please disconnect TV Output or stop recording and try again) I really have no clue about this issue and what to do ! 
    • By News Reporter
      Stepping Away from Phone Manufacturing and Sales Enables Company
      to Focus on Growth Sectors Including EVs, IoT and B2B Solutions

SEOUL, April 5, 2021 — LG Electronics Inc. (LG) announced that it is closing its mobile business unit. The decision was approved by its board of directors earlier today.
      LG’s strategic decision to exit the incredibly competitive mobile phone sector will enable the company to focus resources in growth areas such as electric vehicle components, connected devices, smart homes, robotics, artificial intelligence and business-to-business solutions, as well as platforms and services.
      LG will provide service support and software updates for customers of existing mobile products for a period of time which will vary by region. LG will work collaboratively with suppliers and business partners throughout the closure of the mobile phone business. Details related to employment will be determined at the local level.
      Moving forward, LG will continue to leverage its mobile expertise and develop mobility-related technologies such as 6G to help further strengthen competitiveness in other business areas. Core technologies developed during the two decades of LG’s mobile business operations will also be retained and applied to existing and future products.
      The wind down of the mobile phone business is expected to be completed by July 31 although inventory of some existing models may still be available after that.
      # # #

link hidden, please login to view
    • By News Reporter
      TCL is resurrecting the Palm brand with a brand-new Palm, Inc. based in California. As we reported last week,
      link hidden, please login to view late last year, although at the time it wasn't clear what the company had planned. It's not at all clear what TCL intends to do with the Palm brand, although they seem to recognize the history that the brand carries. Says TCL:

Palm has always carried a lot of affect and emotions. That's why TCL has set the direction to rebuild the brand involving Palm's very own community, making it the largest scale crowd-sourced project ever seen in the industry.
      Where TCL's Alcatel Onetouch has long produced , and it seems that TCL wants Palm to be a division that produces "a more-advanced device", with "breakthrough innovations" across the hardware, software, and even sales models.
      TCL's full weight will be behind Palm, touting 5000 engineers and 7 research-and-development centers around the world. When we'll see more from TCL and Palm isn't clear, but we do know one thing: Palm is coming back.
      , with Palm being founded as an independent company in 1992, being bought by US Robotics in 1995, and then 3Com in 1996, being spun off in 2000, split in half in 2002 and renamed PalmOne, merged with Handspring in 2003, rebranding as Palm, launching webOS in 2009, selling to HP in 2010, getting canceled in 2011, webOS getting open sourced in 2012, and the remnants of the Palm company (minus the branding) being sold to LG in 2013. It's rare that a company receives a second life as Palm did, and rarer still to be revived after being left for dead.
      Regardless, the Palm brand carries a lot of emotion for many, so it's good to see it coming back and we hope TCL produces a phone that's worthy of the name Palm.