Quantcast

Screen Share with Windows 10

I was able to share my screen on my LG TV.

Details

TV Model: LG 43 LJ617 T

WebOS 3.60.10

Windows 10 64 bit OS

My TV and laptop are connected to the same wifi. 

On my TV. I went to Home screen>>Device Connector>>PC>>Screen Share>>Miracast>>Start

Then TV goes to Screen Share mode and leave the TV like that

Now I go to my Laptop>>Action Centre(Right bottow on windows 10)>>Connect

The TV gets listed there. I click on the TV name and the connection is done. The screen share is complete.

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2017 at 9:35 PM, ChrisG said:

I ran into this same problem. For me, the problem was I had a dual band router and my laptop was on the 5Ghz wireless network while my LG TV was on the 2.5Ghz wireless network. Once I put them both on the same band, everything worked. 

Using ChrisG's method I was able to connect as well (thanks Chris).

My router broadcasts on 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz.  With some experimenting I found that the LG TV can connected to the router on  2.4 or 5 or even Ethernet cable, but the PC only works when it is connected to wifi on the 2.4Ghz band. When the computer is connected, on the LG TV go to Settings > Advanced > Network > Wi-Fi Connection and you should see your computer listed with DIRECT-Yourcomputername. So it appears that the PC connects directly to the TV, but only on the 2.4Ghz band.

So the complete solution is:

1. Connect your PC to your wireless network using the 2.4Ghz band.
  2. Start Screen Share on the LG TV.  Under Connection Options, I found normal mode worked better than fast mode.
  3. In Windows 10, press Windows + P to open the projection display settings, then select Connect to a wireless display.
  4. Hopefully it connects. Good luck!

I hope this helps, disappointing that LG support wasn't able to figure this out for people.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 1:19 AM, Xirtam said:

I realize this thread is old, but it popped up on my Google search results, so I thought I'd share what I learned. I was also having issues casting using Windows 10's native projection mode. The trick is to disable the "Listen Mode" on the TV, but only after allowing your Windows 10 devices to find the TV with that feature turned on. This can be done in the Screen Share input method on the TV. Hope this helps!

I created an account just to be able to say Thank You, Thank You, Thank You! I can't believe the hours I wasted trying to get Screen Share to work with a Win10 laptop.  I was ready to head home last evening but just had to try your solution before I left and it worked! Thanks again Xirtam. I hope others find your post.

4 hours ago, Foodie said:

I created an account just to be able to say Thank You, Thank You, Thank You! I can't believe the hours I wasted trying to get Screen Share to work with a Win10 laptop.  I was ready to head home last evening but just had to try your solution before I left and it worked! Thanks again Xirtam. I hope others find your post.

Happy to help! It's posts like this which are exactly the reason I bothered to also make an account and post my findings. Here's hoping it helps others, too! 😎

1 hour ago, Snapdrag said:

I bought a LG smart tv recently and tried every thing recommended on this forum. Nothing seems to work. My Lenovo Thinkpad can see the TV but says 'couldn't connect' after a while.

Did you try Xirtam's solution? I've found that even though Xirtam's solution did work - subsequent connections have been quirky. Most of the time I have success by right clicking on the Desktop, select Display settings and click on Connect to Wireless Display. Doesn't work every time but most times. Wish LG and MS could get this resolved.

Did you try Xirtam's solution? I've found that even though Xirtam's solution did work - subsequent connections have been quirky. Most of the time I have success by right clicking on the Desktop, select Display settings and click on Connect to Wireless Display. Doesn't work every time but most times. Wish LG and MS could get this resolved.

I tried every single suggestion including Xirtam's.  Even the one you suggested in your post above but with no luck!

On 9/19/2017 at 9:35 PM, ChrisG said:

I ran into this same problem. For me, the problem was I had a dual band router and my laptop was on the 5Ghz wireless network while my LG TV was on the 2.5Ghz wireless network. Once I put them both on the same band, everything worked. 

Yep worked for me too!  Thanks for the help!

On 23/02/2018 at 3:39 PM, TonyLinguini said:

I found the problem to be that the TV was on 2.4 ghz and my Surface on 5 ghz. I change the Windows 10 device to 2.4 ghz and it works every time. However, I won't use it much because I want my Windows 10 device always on the fastest speed possible.

Tried this too! But it just wont work...

Registered to this forum for this problem.

Has anyone had any success on finding solution?

I have tried everything that's mentioned here. Funny (not really) thing is that Screen Share used to work before with my Windows 10 Laptop, but not anymore.  It still works on my Android phone.

• 4 weeks later...

At the suggestion of a tech friend of mine, I bought the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter and connected it to the LG UH3060 display per the instructions. My brand new Dell Lattitude 3580 still won't reliably connect to the display. My tech friend stopped by our office, fired up his Dell laptop and with two clicks he was connected, surfing all over the web, disconnected, reconnected multiple times not only to the MS adapter but also by using the Screen Share feature of the LG display. This morning we had an important webinar so I brought in my trusty HP laptop from home. Same thing, two clicks and the webinar was up and running  on the LG display without a hiccup for its entire two hours. And, I was also able to connect via the MS adapter and the Screen Share function of the LG flawlessly multiple times.

So, at least in my case, it isn't the LG TV, it is definitely the new Dell laptop - which is being returned. I've wasted far too much time troubleshooting that boat anchor.

On ‎15‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 6:19 AM, Xirtam said:

I realize this thread is old, but it popped up on my Google search results, so I thought I'd share what I learned. I was also having issues casting using Windows 10's native projection mode. The trick is to disable the "Listen Mode" on the TV, but only after allowing your Windows 10 devices to find the TV with that feature turned on. This can be done in the Screen Share input method on the TV. Hope this helps!

I had read all page one but this is the only thing that worked for me!  Interestingly, I could not repeat it until, as per some other suggestions in various fora on the matter.  Firstly follow the instructions above. When you get a connection it will probably partially incapacitate your touch screen!  the next time you want to connect TURN TV SCREEN SHARE LISTENING MODE OFF FIRST.  Then turn the TV off and reboot the tablet ( mine is Dell Venue Pro 5038 Win 10 and plenty of Venue 11s seem to connect perfectly well).  Then press CONNECT on the tablet.  It will find the LG TV and connect if you are lucky.  I cannot guarantee this works every time as I have spent almost all day on this updating chipset, display and wifi drivers as well as trying every conceivable permutuation.  I did manage to play one tune on Groove Music without the sound coming from both tablet and TV out of synch like when you use Chromecast and WMP - but of course you have a headphone jack ready for such eventualities!

Update:  A day later..... I tried quickly to connect tablet and TV to 2.4MHz wifi and disconnected LAN connection to TV.  No joy but then it was a quick try so I may have made an error.  On returning from the shops I connected both devices to my Devolo wifi powerline network device because it is easier to ensure it is running 2.4MHz since my router system has numerous Sky Q boxes attached each broadcasting a wifi mesh at both frequencies.  This is not entirely scientific because I did use the method above turning both devices off first (I think this may preclude the possibility of a failed connection being remembered).  Anyway my tablet did connect and was fully functional.   The Dell Venue was listed in the wifi connections list as mentioned by others.  I have to say that until yesterday I had the wifi off since, I thought, the LAN cable connection made it unnecessary.  Having plugged it back in screen share still works but whether it would work next time if disconnected beforehand is another matter.  Having just got it sorted I am not turning anything off just now!   Just to mention, I have an LG 60UH625V which has exceeded my expectations - a very rare event indeed.  Nevertheless, you have to pick your casting option depending on what works best.  BT Sport, for example, is best via Chromecast via an iPhone whereas......  you get the idea anyway.

Mike.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally! I could connect after 5 months of trying every now and then.. you can see the log of my attempts in this thread ;) Hence the first thing I am doing on connecting successfully is to write about it here :)
Two things helped made it work -

Step 1: Update Windows 10 to the latest version - version 1803, build 17134.48
If you have not received this update yet (in my case, it was downloaded automatically but failed to instal several times) go to the Windows update center online, download and install the update manually.
This alone did not suffice for me, what happened was that the LG TV would get connected for a few seconds and then get disconnected again.

Step 2: So, what worked for me is that I happened to disconnect the TV from the internet connection but leave the WiFi radio 'ON' in the TV.  Your laptop could stay connected to the internet, does not matter but the TV shouldn't (perhaps it can handle a connection to just one device at a time!!). Go to Screen share on the TV and try connecting from the 'Connect' option in the Windows 10  notification menu of the taskbar and that should be it!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having the same problem that everyone else has been discussing and tried all of the various solutions here to no avail.

I eventually solved the problem by adjusting the settings on my AVG firewall. This may sound very obvious but I never considered it until seeing references in other posts about firewall interference. Since it has not been mentioned here, I thought I would let people know in case their connection problem is also a firewall problem.

Hopefully, this will help others.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AlanFP said:

I've been having the same problem that everyone else has been discussing and tried all of the various solutions here to no avail.

I eventually solved the problem by adjusting the settings on my AVG firewall. This may sound very obvious but I never considered it until seeing references in other posts about firewall interference. Since it has not been mentioned here, I thought I would let people know in case their connection problem is also a firewall problem.

Hopefully, this will help others.

Can you let us know what setting you altered please?

Last weekend, an MS update for Win 10 popped up on both of my machines at home. Turned out to be a major update - build 1083 if I recall.  Got me to wondering if it would have any positive affect on the office Dell Lattitude I've been having the Wi-di issue with. I ran the upgrade on the Lattitude then the Dell Support and Assist window popped up announcing driver and hardware updates - one was related to graphics - so I ran all three of those. And, like magic, Wi-di is now working flawlessly on the Lattitude. I keep going into our conference room daily to check it and it connects without issue every time. It connects to either the LG itself or the MS Wireless Display adapter connected to it - either works just fine now.

*Update: 5-27-18 - apologies to Snapdrag - did not see your post above until now. I usually get notifications of new posts.

Edited by Foodie
Info Update

2 hours ago, George Hofmeister said:

Can you let us know what setting you altered please?

I followed some instructions I found on the AVG support site:

Change AVG Firewall network profile to private (open AVG Internet Security > menu > settings > components > firewall > customize > network profile > change all the networks from public to private)  then go to Firewall customize settings again > scroll down > click on system rules > enable all the system rules if they're not configured then click OK.

May sound a bit garbled but is quite easy to follow and solved my problem.

Good luck!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AlanFP said:

I followed some instructions I found on the AVG support site:

Change AVG Firewall network profile to private (open AVG Internet Security > menu > settings > components > firewall > customize > network profile > change all the networks from public to private)  then go to Firewall customize settings again > scroll down > click on system rules > enable all the system rules if they're not configured then click OK.

May sound a bit garbled but is quite easy to follow and solved my problem.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info Alan, it may help others with similar issues.

• Like 1