Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

ccorreia

Synology - DS Video App

yep i agree but i change phone every 3 weeks and tv only every 3 month :))) ah ah ah next time explain to others people claim DS video since 4 years but not for me Newbie mark10001 ;) cheers.

On 1/5/2018 at 3:26 PM, mark10001 said:

^^^  I always use the DS Video app on my phone and just cast to the TV.  Why would having the app on the TV make it any better?  I find the response to apps on the phone and casting much quicker than comparable apps on my LG TV.

Other family members could access it, if your phone died you could still access it, if your phone breaks you can still access it, guests could access it, kids could put on their own movies, everyone can decide what to watch together looking through the choices on the screen, if you lose your phone you can still access it, a long way down the line if the phone app no longer functions or something happens to android/apple it would nice for the tv to be somewhat self sufficient

I'd love this app available on LG and file types like m4a songs should really be able to be played as it's an open source format so free to use . I hear samsung have both these on their tv already...

1 hour ago, Patrick_ said:

Yes, Plex is an alternative, but it is not free, DS Video is!

Plex Media Server, players for desktops and streaming devices all free.

What do cost money are Plex Pass and mobile apps.  Plex Pass is not essential for day to day use, but the ability to sync content to mobile devices makes it well worth the money in my opinion.  If you are on the Plex mailing list they occasionally run promotions, my lifetime membership cost considerably me $74.99 instead of $119.99.  When it comes to the mobile apps, well they are not not exactly expensive.  

Of course you have to have a Synology device that is supported by Plex so it is not the be all and end all.

A article on Plex Pass will tell you whether or not you need it: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/reasons-do-not-need-plex-pass/

10 hours ago, Pierpaolo Di Maio said:

There is a great alternative to DS Video app. Install Plex!

Would let me play other file types that LG havent got around to including playback for (ie M4A) or is this just for being able to access media on a NAS directly from the TV? Thanks

Today I have an old sony, with 5V line issues (so no USB, no WI FI, etc...).

I am using DS Video from Android and IOS, streaming to a chrome cast, the same way I am watching YouTube or Netflix today.

I intend to buy a new TV and for now the main option is OLED55C8P, a very expensive model in Brazil.

My Sony with chromecast goes to my son's room and I would like to use my wide content in DS918+ directely to my new (probably LG) TV, with DS Video, that in my personal opinion is better than Plex.

It wolud be great if LG and Synology work togheter to achieve this.