Quantcast

XBMC for WebOS

Siro Aramaica

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Right, beside this also have support for samba and allot more...

Or maybe you can buy a raspberry pi 2 and get OSMC or OpenElec on it as I'm doing.

I get lot more functionality and performance compared to LG apps and overall OS performance.

To bad, I really regret I got a LG, next one will not be for sure LG..

• 2 weeks later...

Kodi says that they won't create it, they just syed it directly, it's very shocking, check it out. Here is the official link:

link hidden, please login to view

Please give me a like if it was helpful

Its very shocking??? Do you even know what the Kodi project is about? They are not optimizing the program for any device in particular, this WHY the project is Open Source! 

Whant a cheap Kodi able computer with HDMI? get a Raspberry Pi 1 or 2. It works perfectly.

Now instead of whining why don't you use the source code of Kodi and compile a WebOS version yourself? And then submit it to LG to see if they approve it (now their answer will be shocking...)...

• Like 1

Wo, relax, i just sayed "shocking" the way of replying with just a simple "no" without any details, and i didn't sayed in any moment that they have an obligation to do that, instead i just shared the answer to what people were exited about and wanted. I didn't payed 760€ on a smart tv just to buy a mini pc apart, and if some people don't know, there is an app named MKV_VOD for WebOS that is similiar to kodi, it has the similiar UI and similiar functions, even the same backroung image, the problem is that it's only available in a specific coutry, i think that the app is compiled using the same code as kodi. You can see tons of videos about MKV_VOD on Youtube.

Wo, relax, i just sayed "shocking" the way of replying with just a simple "no" without any details, and i didn't sayed in any moment that they have an obligation to do that, instead i just shared the answer to what people were exited about and wanted. I didn't payed 760€ on a smart tv just to buy a mini pc apart, and if some people don't know, there is an app named MKV_VOD for WebOS that is similiar to kodi, it has the similiar UI and similiar functions, even the same backroung image, the problem is that it's only available in a specific coutry, i think that the app is compiled using the same code as kodi. You can see tons of videos about MKV_VOD on Youtube.

Well i might have been a little harsh, but your post readed like someone that does not contribute but complains about an Open and Free Software just because it did not does what you want.

Kodi core team focus on the project and does little extra ports, and they probably would never submit a version to LG software shop, like they never did with the Android version. (there have official builds for Android but you have to get them outside the Play store).

That program you are talking about is probably a port of Kodi/xbmc that does not respect the GPL_v2 of Kodi and that is probably why i only found it on a Turkish forum. Also its side loaded for what i could translate... that means that you can download it to a USB drive and use it on you TV (personally i'm going to try it). If you translate the forum were its posted the binary you will see that is not on LG App store but is sideloaded.

But for what i can figure out from the blog where its uploaded the latest builds, this program does not seem to be a rip-off of the Kodi code but an entirely independent project... but then again there is little info about the code (that i could find out).

Also you can get the latest build of it here: 

link hidden, please login to view

So try it and share with us the experience if you please.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Surely someone out there has a way of coding a version of Kodi into a format we can install onto WebOS 2.0...I dont have coding experience but surely it cant be too hard to do, I know LG is never going to offer it in the store but thats fine if we can install it ourselves. Its killing me having restrictions like this applied by LG...

• Like 1

Surely someone out there has a way of coding a version of Kodi into a format we can install onto WebOS 2.0...I dont have coding experience but surely it cant be too hard to do, I know LG is never going to offer it in the store but thats fine if we can install it ourselves. Its killing me having restrictions like this applied by LG...

No doubt about it... but there are a lot of complications IMO...

1st the Hardware, and i mean the custom SoC on the TV's, does not have documentation available to the general public... So any coder would be forced to use LG API/SDK to port Kodi.

2nd is the part that its not clear how many system resources are available... WebOS AFAIK is there to provide a computing experience BUT TV functions come 1st... so how often would Kodi be "killed" during operation is a pertinent question (to free system resources, since Kodi can hog a lot of them depending on what type of media you are playing).

And finally, if it can be sideloaded how fast LG would patch that? Rendering the project and all the work useless :/

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

1ST Android TV's are basically dead (afaik)...  2nd WebOS was bought by LG from HP exactly to be their OS so why on earth would they use another OS? 

If you don't like WebOS then just get and Android Stick or an Intel Compute stick and use it for you computing needs on your TV.

Hi, exor
Do you work for LG?
Your answer does not seem appropriate.
I was looking for some guide or solution with this obsolete LGTV = (OS WebOS).
This operating system (WebOS) is really bad. Limited APPS. Many APPs developers are not interested at all.
So, I will sell my LGTV and buy a new AndroidTV. (no stick or something like that, i will buy real smartTV)

i was not SMART to got your TV.

😝

Good luck with your Android TV ...   you have 5 models from Sony this year and 3 from Philips (btw personal experience Philips updates suck hard... i would avoid any "smart" tv line of theirs).

IMO WebOS is not bad... BUT it really does not have 3rd party devs support that is true. But for web browsing, Youtube and even Netflix it does the job really well.

So far (imho)  you are still better of with a compute stick or eve a simple Chromecast .... but it's your money and your decision.