Quantcast

webOS Nation: Celebrating 15 Years of Mobile Nations!

News Reporter

15 Years!

On September 9th, 1999, the origin story for
link hidden, please login to view
began when launched from my student apartment at University of Florida. Immediately the website became a fixture of the Handspring Visor online community by delivering high quality and reliable news, articles, reviews, and an active forum.

While today the Visor is a relic — *I'm sure many of our younger readers have never even heard of it before* — 15 years later we are stronger than ever delivering the same experience that made VisorCentral a success. Over the years we have navigated the many shifts in mobile platforms, with sites like and (formerly PreCentral) following VisorCentral as Palm ushered in the modern smartphone era. Today, Mobile Nations reaches over 32 million readers every month through , , , and our newest site, . 

mf.gif

a2t.imghxyVy8YYMGU

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By H_Rovy
      I want to be able to turn on my TV without it automatically launching a cable channel. ( or repeatedly asking me if I want to turn on the cable box).  Is there any way to "just' start with the home screen? Also when I've been watching something (app or cable) and go back to Home screen, it will go back to what I was watching if there is no input for a minute or so. grrrr. so annoying
    • By News Reporter
      New Lineup Offers the Ultimate Sound Experience with Combination of
      Superb Audio Quality, Adaptive ANC and a Comfortable Fit

SEOUL, Aug. 8, 2022 — LG Electronics’ (LG) 2022 lineup of TONE Free true wireless earbuds provides the ultimate sound experience with advanced audio technologies, a better-fitting design and a host of useful, new features. Demonstrating LG’s ongoing commitment to user-centric innovation, the new TONE Free earbuds are the perfect everyday companions for today’s on-the-go lifestyles.
      This year’s flagship model (T90) TONE Free earbuds deliver impressive sound thanks to several upgrades, including a new internal structure with larger drivers that helps generate deeper, more satisfying bass. The use of graphene, a premium material that reduces vibration while boosting audio quality, enables the T90s to produce incredibly dynamic, yet balanced and crisp sound. A treat for the ears in more ways than one, LG’s T90 earbuds integrate the performance enhancing capabilities of Meridian Headphone Spatial Processing (HSP), a specialized technology from LG’s long-standing partner in delivering superior sound, Meridian Audio. With HSP inside, the earbuds present a full, more natural sound stage with a clear center image – making one feel like they’re listening to music played through real stereo sound system. In addition, Meridian’s Perfect Balance technology enables the T90 earbuds to achieve a consistent tonal balance at any volume.
      What’s more, LG’s T90 TONE Free Dolby Atmos earbuds are the world’s first wireless earbuds to support Dolby Head Tracking across all content and devices. Dolby Head Tracking recalibrates the sound as users move their heads for a more natural sound experience, so users will feel like they are in the center of the scene and experience a whole new level of audio immersion whether they are listening to music, watching movies, enjoying favorite streaming series or playing video games. Dolby Head Tracking together with Dolby Atmos content further elevate the listening experience, providing incredible detail, depth and clarity. The T90s are the first wireless earbuds to feature an audio virtualizer designed by Dolby specifically for earbuds – an advanced solution that expands spatial dimensionality for stereo entertainment.
      Additionally, the T90s come with Snapdragon Sound Technology Suite1 meaning users can experience a level of sound quality previously only available on wired headphones. Along with 24-bit/96kHz high-resolution audio, LG’s Snapdragon Sound earbuds provide robust connectivity, crystal-clear voice quality and low latency, making them perfect not only for listening to audio, but also for making voice calls and gaming.
      On top of that, the company’s premium wireless earbuds offer improved Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) with the Double Step ANC Algorithm and Real Time ANC Optimizer. The Double Step ANC Algorithm leverages a new filter with a higher sampling rate to cancel out external noises more effectively, and an advanced howling detection algorithm to eliminate unpleasant and distracting feedback. Meanwhile, the Real Time ANC Optimizer automatically adjusts ANC performance by analyzing the actual position of the buds inside the user’s ear via the inner microphones.
      LG’s latest TONE Free’s fit delivers comfort while boosting performance for enhanced sound and optimized noise cancellation. Created in collaboration with South Korea’s POSTECH Ergonomic Design Technology Lab, the earbuds’ comfort fit design boasts ergonomic precision and an optimized shape that feels better in the ear. Moreover, the new models are both smaller and lighter in weight than their predecessors, meaning users can wear TONE Free for extended periods with less distraction. The TONE Free’s Performance Fit ensures the right positioning in ears delivering more ultimate sound experience.
      LG’s new TONE Free models also ship with the UVnano charging case, which uses ultraviolet light to help keep the earbuds hygienically clean. New for 2022, LG’s UVnano technology provides wider coverage, sterilizing all parts of the ear gels. Additionally, the T90s adopt medical-grade, hypoallergenic ear gels to reduce the risk of skin irritation in the ear canal. Outstanding user convenience is another key benefit of LG’s TONE Free earbuds, which now boast enhanced connectivity and wider compatibility. Plug & Wireless, a feature that enables the charging case to double as a Bluetooth transmitter, enhanced with a useful, new voice chat function2 that is ideal for conference calls and for chatting with friends while gaming. With the included USB-C to AUX cable, users can plug the case into a radio, treadmill, in-flight entertainment system and a wide range of other products to enjoy the wireless freedom and first-class sound quality.
      Courtesy of Voice Pickup unit, the premium T90s even provide an improved voice calling experience. The Voice Pickup Unit detects and minimizes ambient noises when the user is speaking, making it easier for whomever is on the other end to hear what they are saying. New TONE Free models offer up to 9 hours of use on a single charge while the case itself can provide a further 20, for up to 29 hours of listening enjoyment.3 And, with a new quick charge feature, the earbuds can be completely charged after approximately 1 hour in the UVnano charging case.
      Finally, 2022 sees the introduction of LG’s new TONE Free fit lineup (models TF7 and TF8) designed for active lifestyles, providing a secure and comfortable fit for active moments from running and mountain biking, to vigorous training sessions at the gym. Both models incorporate SwivelGrip technology – which helps keep the earbuds firmly and comfortably in place, even during the most intense workouts – and offer a lightweight design that promotes better air circulation.
      Moreover, TONE Free fit models deliver solid ANC performance, clear spatial sound with Meridian HSP technology, and the hygiene-enhancing benefits of medical-grade, hypoallergenic ear gels and LG’s UVnano charging case. IP67 rated, the TF7 and TF8 are resistant to rain, splashes, sweat and dust to make it easy to go running or working out without any worries.4
      TONE Free fit models have a battery life of 10 hours (up to total 30 hours with the charging case). For more enjoyable workouts at the gym, the TF8 earbuds can connect to older, Bluetooth-less treadmill displays by using LG’s innovative Plug & Wireless solution.
      LG’s 2022 TONE Free true wireless earbuds will be rolled out in major markets worldwide from the end of August.
      # # #
      1 Full benefit of Qualcomm Snapdragon Sound Technology Suite can be enjoyed when both source device and earbuds are Snapdragon Sound enabled. Source devices not enabled by Snapdragon Sound technology can be used in Plug & Wireless mode. Snapdragon and Snapdragon Sound are trademarks or registered trademarks of Qualcomm Incorporated. Snapdragon Sound is a product of Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries.
      2 Voice chat function is available only when using the included USB-C to USB-A cable.
      3 Up to 29 hours of use available with ANC turned off. With ANC turned on, LG 2022 TONE Free earbuds offer up to 15 hours of playback time: 5 on a full charge plus an additional 10 hours via the charging case.
      4 Charging case is not waterproof. Earbuds must be thoroughly dried prior to placing them into the cradle.
      Key Specifications:
        T90 T60 Sound Quality Graphene Unit Y Y Driver Unit Size Dynamic 11 Φ Dynamic 11 Φ Meridian Sound Y Y Dolby Head Tracking Y – Mic System 3 MIC + VPU 3 MIC ANC Real-time ANC Optimizer Y N Double-step ANC Algorithm Y Y Health UVnano Y Y Medical Grade Silicone Ear Gels Y Y Battery Life Earbuds / Charging Case Up to 9hrs/20hrs (ANC Off) Up to 9hrs/20hrs (ANC Off) Convenience Plug & Wireless Y – Whispering Mode Y Y Charging Fast Charging Y Y Wireless Charging Y – Active IPX Rating IPX4 IPX4  
        TF7 TF8 Sound Quality Meridian Sound Y Y Mic System 3 MIC 3 MIC ANC Active Noise Cancellation Y Y Health UVnano Y Y Medical Grade Silicone Ear Gels Y Y Battery Life Earphones / Charging Case Up to 10hrs /20hrs (ANC Off) Up to 10hrs /20 hrs (ANCOff) Convenience Plug & Wireless – Y Charging Fast Charging Y Y Active IPX/IP Rating IP67 IP67  

• By News Reporter
      For a responsible corporate citizen, running a global business means not only providing quality products and services to customers worldwide, but also making a positive social impact around the planet. With an enduring vision to better customers’ lives, LG strives to pursue sustainable innovation in all areas of its diverse business operations.
      As the pressing problems of our environment and society accelerate with the changing times, corporations’ sustainable strategies must evolve accordingly. Recognizing this, LG has unveiled its
      link hidden, please login to view to achieve greater social impact.
      LG’s newly revealed sustainable vision aligns perfectly with the phrase, Better Life for All. While LG has consistently shown its commitment to providing a better lifestyle for customers through its innovative products and services, the catchphrase signifies yet another step forward for the company. Henceforth, LG is expanding the scope of its sustainable practices to not only create a better life for its customers, but for the environment, employees, suppliers and for one and all who call this planet home.
      With regard to sustainability, Better Life for All outlines LG’s new focus on creating a regenerative environment for the better well-being of all lives by establishing a circular economy – a term describing a production and consumption model that minimizes waste and the extraction of new resources.
      The company is ultimately moving on from aiming to do less environmental harm within the traditional linear economy – a system where materials are processed into products and then thrown away after use – to creating an altogether new business process that promotes the recirculation of finite resources. With the new initiative, LG is redirecting more of its environmental efforts to retrieving and recycling used products.

Better Life for All also embodies LG’s commitment to realizing a more inclusive and diverse society by embracing differences, and by forming close-knit circles of alliance with company employees, corporate partners and stakeholders.
      While LG has always endeavored to work closely with partners in its pursuit of sustainability, the company is further establishing guidelines to better collaborate with supply chain partners, nurture a more embracive corporate culture and introduce products that are accessible to all.
      The company’s efforts in ongoing business practice involve C-Level executives’ leadership and collaboration with corporate partners and other entities which share LG’s goal of Better Life for All.

As with its vision, the company’s specific sustainability goals and plans for implementing related practices have constantly evolved over the years. In 2021, LG established a comprehensive framework for its sustainable practices. Key initiatives were re-established and categorized according to a new ESG structure, and corporate ESG communication guidelines were instituted for the first time.
      This year, LG has further refined its far-reaching program of ESG initiatives in the recently announced ‘BETTER LIFE PLAN 2030.’ With ‘BETTER LIFE PLAN 2030’, LG is pursuing about a range of initiatives under the broad categories of ‘Environment’ and ‘Society’.
      Stay tuned to Beyond News for the next story, which will look at how LG is fostering a greener and cleaner environment through the first three ESG Initiatives. You can find the 2021-2022 LG Electronics ESG STORY BOOK and FACT BOOK .
      # # #

• By News Reporter
      (From left to right) Yimenu Weldeyes Adefris, technical support assistant with the LGEME Gulf SVC Team and
      Ryu Kwang-jin, Master of LGEME Tech Support & Training Team
      As a young boy growing up in Ethiopia, Yimenu Weldeyes Adefris always knew he wanted a career in technology. But with fierce competition and limited local opportunities to gain the required skills and knowledge, it seemed highly likely that he may never get the chance.

LG-KOICA Hope TVET College, located in the Ethiopian capital of Addis Ababa, was co-founded by LG Electronics and the Korean International Cooperation Agency (KOICA) to help give passionate and capable young Ethiopians, like Yimenu, the tools needed to succeed in the tech industry. A graduate of the school, Yimenu now works as a full-time technical support assistant with LG Electronics Middle East (LGEME).

Not only was he top of his class at LG-KOICA Hope TVET College for three consecutive years, Yimenu was also recognized by the school’s faculty as an “excellent student.” After completing his studies in 2018, he worked for two years as an intern at LGEME, earning selection to his current role of technical support assistant in 2020.
      “I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to attend LG-KOICA Hope TVET College and for the ongoing career opportunities and professional growth I’ve enjoyed since joining LG,” he remarked. “I thank the college and the company for helping to make my childhood dream a reality.”

“I applied to LG-KOICA Hope TVET College at my mother’s recommendation,” he continued. “At first, studying was very difficult because there was so much to take in and I was also working part-time,” he added. “But, the guidance I received from the instructors and advisors there really helped me to push through, giving me the confidence and the foundation of knowledge I needed to succeed professionally.”
      In addition to offering vocational training covering the repair and servicing of various electronics products, including home appliances, the college also offers comprehensive courses in information and communication technologies. Graduates of LG-KOICA have earned a reputation for being workforce-ready and for being innovative thinkers: a sought-after trait that LG actively fosters in all of its employees – and students – worldwide.

Although he learned much from and admired all of his instructors at the school, Yimenu formed a special bond with LG master technician, Ryu Kwang-jin. “Mr. Ryu definitely increased my passion for and understanding of technology and continues to be a role model and mentor for me,” Yimenu noted. “It’s because of him that I strive every day to become a better technician. One day, I hope to become a master technician, just like Mr. Ryu.”
      Yimenu gives much of the credit for being the top performer in his class to Ryu. Inspired by his mentor, he spent much of his time outside the classroom applying his growing skill-base at home. The budding technician dismantled (and put back together) the family TV, doing the same with his mother’s mobile phone and various other devices around the house. Seeing the young man’s enthusiasm and aptitude for technology, Ryu recommended Yimenu take advanced courses to help him accelerate and expand his competencies. Today, having learned how to repair practically every LG home appliance and B2B product, he is currently in charge of technical support for 12 countries, including the UAE, Bahrain and Qatar.

To further his understanding of LG’s latest technical services and support processes, Yimenu recently traveled to South Korea to visit the company’s home base. There, he was reunited with his teacher and mentor.
      “He is full of passion for technology,” said Ryu, recalling Yimenu as a shy but spirited student. “I wanted to help him fulfill his enormous potential and make his dreams come true. I believe he can become a great LG master technician. I am very proud to have taught him, but even more so to see his continued growth, both professionally and personally.”

For Ethiopian youngsters who dream of following in his footsteps and carving out a successful career in their chosen field, Yimenu has some advice of his own to impart: “Keep challenging yourselves to become better people, pursue your dreams and listen to those with the experience and wisdom to help guide you. When you work hard and believe, anything is possible.”
      # # #

• By Alex
      New Delhi: Elista, the electronic appliance company headquartered in Dubai has just launched new smart TVs in India. These new televisions are a refresh of their existing lineup in India. So, let’s take a look at their specs and features.  
      Pricing and Availability 
      The 43-ich Elista Smart LED TV has a price tag of Rs. 48,990 ($628). The bigger 50-inch and 55-inch options cost Rs. 59,990 ($769) and Rs. 70,990 ($910) respectively. These TVs are available on all leading consumer electronics shops and online platforms.  
      Elista Smart LED TV specs & features 
      The new range of Elista Smart LED TVs comes in three screen sizes: 43-inch, 50-inch, and 55-inch. They offer a 4K resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels along with 1.07 billion colors. The TVs provide smooth visuals even when watching fast-paced scenes thanks to MEMC technology (Motion Estimation, Motion Compensation) and 60Hz refresh rate.  
      The Smart TVs also come with ALLM (Automatic Low Latency Mode) which reduces the response time of the display to just 5ms, making it ideal for console gaming. The smart TV operates on LG’s WebOS which comes with the ThinQ AI. The ThinQ AI is LG’s voice assistant that makes it simple for viewers to control the TV with either voice or via a mobile device. If the ThinQ UI is not your cup of tea, you also get access to the built-in Alexa to help navigate through the UI or through your favorite OTT apps.  
      The smart TVs come with easy-to-use Magic remote with a dedicated hotkey for Netflix and Prime Video. For connectivity, these TVs have in-built dual-band Wi-Fi. Last but not the least, the speakers of the smart TVs come powered by Dolby Audio. 
      Source: