Welcome to LG webOS - Smart TV, Phone, Signage, Appliance User to User Support Forum

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

williamsats

WebOS vs Old SmartTV's Menu

98 posts in this topic

guys, where did you download this update?

•  Like what you are reading? Please help us by sharing this content.

guys, where did you download this update?

I'm in Romania and  the update is available via 'Check for updates' option in settings.

Where can I find a chagelog?

Hi, 

I download the new firmware but the news are bad. 

Things wtih subs are still the same.

So they haven't fix the problem, instead they create a new one. 

With the previous update i had access to apps & games. OK the list wasn't as big as the in the pre-webos menu, but it had few things to check and see. 

Now, when i try to go to apps & games a message comes up that says something like "The page has nothing show" (or something similar, i don't remember it exactly).

BUT, when you click on "search" and you type for example "facebook" the app shows up straight away. I also typed "weather" and few apps  showed in the list that they weren't at the "Premium" menu. 

Please tell me if you experience the same problems as I do. 

Hi guys,

I'm using 42LB650V-ZN with Twonky Media Server running on WD MBL.

Problem is that external subtitles are not shown at all from DLNA/Smart Share, and the sub menu is just grayed out.

Internal ones are recognized but not showed correctly. I'm talking about English subs, where apostrophe sign ' is replaced with something like %apos.

Do you some thought on this matter? Especially for the external ones.

Steve86, this is pretty much the same issue i have but in my case it's not that bad. 

Do you have the same problem when you try to play video files with subs from USB Stick? 

1)  "'" is shown instead of apostrophe on both USB and DLNA. I tried all changing the code page but it's all the same. This is for English subs, and for other languages special signs are also show with some strange characters.

2) external subs work on USB but on DLNA don't work at all. I read somewhere that external subs didn't work on LG 2013 series, but that they do work on 2014, but now I can't find that source.

I have WD TV Live and used it with previous non-smart samsung and that worked like a charm. I bought lg tv with webos to make things simpler and get rid of many devices and remotes. I hope they will fix this with some update, otherwise I will have to get back to old setup.

@williamsat, what do you mean not that bad? does any of this that i mentioned work for you?

Btw, TV is running on latest software 03.23.17 - 1.2.0-2717.

I could fix the problem with incorrect displaying subtitles. Changed the encoding in * srt file from UTF-8 to ANSI.

Then use this guide. In point 7 i have chosen the code page which are made ​​subtitles. For me it's cyrillic code page 1251.

Good Luck!

PS TV is 42LB670V

1 person likes this

Sorry to say but webos is quite shity OS - i had good opinion about it while watching presentation but once i have it (55LB671V) i am so disappointed,The many is not fast at all as on presentation, many things do not function all in all bad!

I could fix the problem with incorrect displaying subtitles. Changed the encoding in * srt file from UTF-8 to ANSI.

Then use this guide. In point 7 i have chosen the code page which are made ​​subtitles. For me it's cyrillic code page 1251.

Good Luck!

PS TV is 42LB670V

i cannot get it to work on my 42LB650V.... i still cannot watch a mkv movie with gr subs displayed correctly... :(

Sorry to say but webos is quite shity OS - i had good opinion about it while watching presentation but once i have it (55LB671V) i am so disappointed,The many is not fast at all as on presentation, many things do not function all in all bad!

sadly, i tend to agree with you... i cannot even get the market to work!!! it says it is not available in my country yet. and do not get me started about the greek subtitles encoding!!! i am SO disappointed... :(

i cannot get it to work on my 42LB650V.... i still cannot watch a mkv movie with gr subs displayed correctly... :(

7441660L.png

7441663e.png

7441696b.jpg

7441698c.jpg

A problem potentially arises, if in *.mkv files have been embedded others subtitles in another language.

You need to remove them.

7441678l.png

1 person likes this

Hi guys, 

So, as far as i can see, the problem still remains and as others mentioned, it's not only one problem (the one with the subtitles).

So to conclude everything here, so far the problems are: 

1) Subtitles doesn't play as they have to. 

2) The menu is too slow

3) To open the menu you have to push a button such as "smart" or "guide", "info" etc, wait for few seconds until you see the message "System Manager Initializing" (or something like that) and then you can finaly enter the menu. 

4) The above includes the problem with the "guide", that you cannot enter straight after you turn on the TV and you have to do what i wrote before. 

5) For a strange reason, when i (finaly) enter the LG store and try to download an app, it always asks me for my e-mail and password. That means that it doesn't keep my details in memory and i have to do it every time i'm trying to download an app. 

6)A very big problem that i found yesterday is that, through the TV's browser i cannot see any flash video. It says that Flash is not supported. WHAT???

Guys, if you have anything else to put, do it because i'm looking to send the link of this thread to LG. 

1 person likes this

Also, 

8) I had apps on my mobile phone where i could use'em with my old 32lm620A, such as remote control, live camera from my android phone to the TV, TV photo grabber and few more. None of these apps work in WebOS. 

9) There is no option to chose desired audio language out of multiple languages video streamed from HDD (which is quite easy on my Panasonic 42led)

I've just installed sw update 03.23.24.

Didn't notice any difference yet, there is still an issue with subtitles as with .17:

- doesn't recognize external srt

- doesn't recognize embedded pgs or vobsub

- issue with encoding utf/ansi srt

@vkomitov, I already tried that but for me it's still the same.

I use only english subtitles - latin 1252 code and i notice only 2 characters shown incorrectly ' and ".

I join the group of disappointed customers, as well.

10) Does not support 3D subtitles (*.IDX; *.SUP; *.ASS).

I use only english subtitles - latin 1252 code and i notice only 2 characters shown incorrectly ' and ".

<i> and </i> also drive me crazy :D

And for some MKVs i cannot turn off subs when I have changed the audio track to my desired language - Latvian. Then I have Latvian audio track and english subs. Or is that problem with mkv container?

Hello guys, 

I have a first official answer from LG Hellas about the bugs. 

"We would like to inform you that the reported as weak spots of the system webOS have taken into account of the competent departments (software development) of our company. In any case, we would like to note that the webOS platform is at the heart of the operation of the new TVs of LG Electronics and is constantly evolving, so that every consumer has gradually (and through future upgrades) a better experience handling these devices"

I don't know what they had in their mind when they were writing this e-mail to me, but it didn't solve any of the problems.....

<i> and </i> also drive me crazy :D

And for some MKVs i cannot turn off subs when I have changed the audio track to my desired language - Latvian. Then I have Latvian audio track and english subs. Or is that problem with mkv container?

How do you change audio language i could not find that option!

hello from pireaus guuyyyys. Yesterday I also bought the 42LB650V and I am here to join the disappointment group.....  I own a previous 47'' (about 3 years old) model which made me very happy every single day and I still love it!

ALSO, a major issue with USB playback function is that the fastforward option reallyyyy suuuuucks BIG TIME. And the skip chapter option simply doens't exist when viewing a movie from usb/external hdd

I dont have the time nor the mood  to dive deep in the specifics of the tv so there only two options for me:

either take it back to the stoe and replace it with a previous model

or..... plug my external hard disk to playstation and see everything from there until thy decide to make WebOs workable......

I don't understand why going with webOS for TV which is still in development, when there is Android TV that is prity mature! I would gladly install Android TV now if there is possibility! 

I don't understand why going with webOS for TV which is still in development, when there is Android TV that is prity mature! I would gladly install Android TV now if there is possibility!

Didn't Android TV just get announced? Google TV has been around but never really took off.

I think that with any first release there are going to be some issues, but with 1 million+ TVs sold, I'm sure there will be improvements. Based on the info we have, LG is already working on the next version of webOS for 2015.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

You are right LG has announced next version of webos tv for 2015 and they call it second generation of webOS TVs, i am only afraid that we will be left hanging with the first generation of webOS TVs without any support! 

I have should know better, not to by stater product of any kind only when it has some medium maturity of production!

You are right LG has announced next version of webos tv for 2015 and they call it second generation of webOS TVs, i am only afraid that we will be left hanging with the first generation of webOS TVs without any support!

I have should know better, not to by stater product of any kind only when it has some medium maturity of production!

Hopefully first generation webOS TVs will get updated to second generation. I would think they should.

Hi there,

I just upgraded from an LG Smart TV 65LM620T to an LG WebOS TV 65UB980V and cannot seem to get 2D to 3D

to work within Netflix app. Could do this on my old one!!! Just says 3D not available.

Is there some secret menu I can enable this within WebOS apps? the 2D to 3D feature is amazing and watching movies

without that is too flat and horrible.

Works absolutely fine via HDMI inputs and DVB-T/DVB-S etc... just not via WebOS apps.

Updated to latest firmware and still no option.

Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Chris

Hopefully first generation webOS TVs will get updated to second generation. I would think they should.

Have we heard ANYTHING at all from LG on this matter? I am also thinking about buying myself a 2014 webOS TV, and it would S-CK big time if they released a new model in 2015 wit a new webOS version, leaving their old customers abandoned. These things doesn't exactly come cheap, and since the software feels somewhat "unfinished", I would expect it to evolve during the following years. I would happily pay for webOS 2.0, just as long as I can update...

Samsung did a great thing with their "evolution kit"...