Quantcast

Help! After factory reset, can't pair remote and stuck on setup screen!

Tom S.

Question

New user to the forum!  

My TV is an LG OLED 65B6P, which was working fine until a few days ago, when the magic remote pointer and OK button stopped working (was getting message that Bluetooth needed to be initialized).  After making the mistake of calling product support, they had me do a factory reset, but that didn't fix the issue, and only made it worse, as now I can't proceed from the "Start Up" menu as I can't click the OK button.  I'm dead in the water, and have even tried this with 2 different magic remotes!  I've tried the pairing and unpairing suggested on numerous support sites, and can't get anywhere with this.  Can't even find an LG service center in the Boston area.

I also have a Harmony Ultimate remote, but that likely won't help here, as I can't get the "OK" button assigned in the TV's current state.

Any help is appreciated!

• Like 1

15 answers to this question

18 minutes ago, nemilose said:

You may try with any LG IR remote with OK button.

Unfortunately, already tried with 2 LG magic remotes, but neither seem to work.  OK button simply won't respond.

18 minutes ago, nemilose said:

You may try with any LG IR remote with OK button.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom S. said:

Okay, thanks.  I'll try to track one down.  Appreciate the response.

I'm hoping that this one will work - 

link hidden, please login to view

It's an LG AKB73975702 remote........doesn't specifically state it will control my OLED 65B6P, but I'm crossing my fingers.  

I'm experiencing the same issue.  I just bought the tv and  applied an update to the firmware.  I was experiencing quite a bit of lag in response time, so I figured I could try unpairing/re-pairing it to see if it worked.  Nope.  It never re-paired again.  So then i tried resetting the tv settings and ended at the same place you are at now.  If anyone knows of a solution that doesnt require me going out and purchasing a new remote, please let me know.   I'd prefer not to have to lug it back to the store... 

10 hours ago, joeshmo said:

I'm experiencing the same issue.  I just bought the tv and  applied an update to the firmware.  I was experiencing quite a bit of lag in response time, so I figured I could try unpairing/re-pairing it to see if it worked.  Nope.  It never re-paired again.  So then i tried resetting the tv settings and ended at the same place you are at now.  If anyone knows of a solution that doesnt require me going out and purchasing a new remote, please let me know.   I'd prefer not to have to lug it back to the store... 

They sent me a new magic remote, and still had the same issue.  I had an LG service rep come to my house and he was able to use a standard remote, similar to the LG AKB73975702 remote that I also went and purchased on Amazon.  Now the TV is working fine, although the bluetooth functions with the magic remote don't work, so I'm not using it.  I have a Harmony remote that we use primarily anyways, and we're using the old school LG remote for Smart TV functions.  I think the bluetooth functionality is something wrong with the TV itself, but I'm not in a hurry to take it off the wall mount and have them open it up.  Long story short, I'm going with the workaround.  Good luck, as I know it's frustrating.

I am late to the party. I have the same exact problem. I am in warranty and LG shipped me a new remote. I factory reset and was stuck not being able to configure the TV. Problem solved as I was able to use a standard usb mouse to get configured. Now I am using the iOS app. I have a service call scheduled for this coming Friday. Not excited about taking the tv off the mount. But I want my magic mite back. 

• Like 1

I think I'm having the same problem as Tom S. with by B6P, though after factory reset my TV would respond to the magic remote for a brief period...some of the time. After many restarts, I finally got through setup, and now I get the "Bluetooth service needs to be initialized." message every time I push the wheel/select button, so TV functionality seems severely limited.  I've ordered, and will try using, the AKB73975702 remote, and will post whether that worked for me too.

UPDATE: After some time (maybe six restarts), a message pops up saying that the magic remote has paired...and the TV seems to be back to full functionality for now. I'm sorry that the resolution seems so mysterious (not sure why it paired then and not any of the many previous attempts).

• Like 1

On 6/19/2017 at 2:59 PM, Tom S. said:

New user to the forum!  

My TV is an LG OLED 65B6P, which was working fine until a few days ago, when the magic remote pointer and OK button stopped working (was getting message that Bluetooth needed to be initialized).  After making the mistake of calling product support, they had me do a factory reset, but that didn't fix the issue, and only made it worse, as now I can't proceed from the "Start Up" menu as I can't click the OK button.  I'm dead in the water, and have even tried this with 2 different magic remotes!  I've tried the pairing and unpairing suggested on numerous support sites, and can't get anywhere with this.  Can't even find an LG service center in the Boston area.

I also have a Harmony Ultimate remote, but that likely won't help here, as I can't get the "OK" button assigned in the TV's current state.

Any help is appreciated!

Hey!

I had sam problem, i've smoke a joint, and i found the solution without buy remote controller: use an usb mouse. 😉😉

• Like 1

On 11/8/2023 at 1:01 AM, charlotte said:

I reset my TV and all it will do is say please press the ok button on your remote

I reset my tv and only have thin Q lg app. Now it's stuck on "Please press on wheel button on your remote. I don't have a remote, why on earth would they make it impossible to reset/restore without a remote. Tried connecting a usb mouse and that doesn't work either 🤦🏽‍♀️