Quantcast

MLB.TV Issues with LG TV

I just recently purchased a new LG 65UH7700 TV and I am currently having problems with the MLB.TV app.  I can launch the app fine and I can start watching a live steaming game fine, but after about 30 seconds or so of watching a game, the app freezes and then the TV reboots.  I know it is not my internet connection because I can watch the games fine on other devices on the same network such as on my 5 year old LG TV, the Apple TV, or my iPad, or iPhone.  I purposely bought the LG TV over a Vizio because it had the MLB.TV app built in whereas the Vizio did not.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Is this an issue that I should return the TV for or have a technician come out to troubleshoot?  Please help!!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Purchased 49" LG 4K smart tv in July 2016. Out of the box everything worked great but the MLB App. Netflix YouTube and the rest work flawlessly. Picture freezes and stutters with MLB. Shuts down and closes out of the app. Tried rebooting router. Tried Ethernet and wireless. Tried everything. I'm watching games on iPad now. Seems to be a common problem with LG Smart TVs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

FYI....I contacted LG directly back in May and they said that it is not an issue with LG, but rather an issue with MLB.TV.  I posted a similar discussion on MLB.TV and there were a lot of other people with the same issues for this TV.  Over time, when I mentioned when a fix was going to be in the works, I always got a response such as "we will forward this request to our developers for further testing and consideration" and then never hear back from them.  After 2 weeks of inactivity on the thread and they archive it to the point where it cannot be found.  I finally gave up and just decided to use other devices such as AppleTV, etc to connect.  I am not sure about everyone else, but according to the MLB.TV app on my TV, the last time it was updated was 5/19/2015 which seems to be the root cause of the problem.  They (MLB.TV) need to update the darn thing!!

• Like 1

Thanks all for the info. Was having the same issue with major buffering issues and didnt believe it was in my end. All other apps worked perfectly. When I called LG they said the same thing that the issue was with MLB.TV and not LG. Using Xbox one to stream games but would be nice if it is resolved soon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problems you guys have with MLB.TV on my brand-new 49" LG smart TV. I am shocked that a 2016 model would have so much trouble with the ubiquitous MLB.TV app. As others have noted, Netflix and Amazon work fine.

I can stream games for three or four minutes before the MLB.TV app crashes and the TV abruptly restarts. Sometimes the image freezes and stutters before it crashes. I have enough bandwidth and a high enough upload speed, based on my recent system tests.

I successfully streamed one game: the Marlins-Mets game from Monday, Aug. 29. In the words of the MLB.TV troubleshooting page, I "power cycled" my router and TV beforehand and the stream worked. Subsequent efforts to power cycle—turn everything off and then back on, basically—have failed. Help.

The MLB.TV app on my LG TV cannot handle a live stream of a game, but it apparently *can* play an archived game. I have twice fired up archived games and watched for several minutes with no streaming trouble.

Of course, I didn't pay $100 for MLB.TV to watch prerecorded baseball. I want to watch live.

I have a 2016 OLED 55B6P TV that has crashes after a few minutes of streaming a live MLB.TV game. The screen freezes and the audio makes an En En En En weird sound before it restarts and tunes to a cable channel. I contacted LG Customer Service and received a response that it is an MLB.TV app problem. Our OLED TV has no problem streaming HD content from Amazon and we have Xfinity Extreme 105 Internet service. Our other TVs have no problem streaming live MLB.TV games and are located farther in distrance from our wireless router than our OLED TV. I going to try my Roku streaming stick on our OLED TV to see if our OLED TV will stream MLB.TV games via Roku. Frustrating response from LG. 

I encourage one and all to lodge a customer service ticket with MLB.TV so as to encourage an app update as soon as possible. It's clearly a glitch with the MLB.TV app as it interacts with the LG Web OS.

I have been in contact with an agent for MLB.TV and have been told that they are "escalating this (case) for further research."

I don't think it will do any good.  I have done that on more than one occasion and after going through needless troubleshooting steps, I am always given the same response, "escalating this (case) for further research."  Then, after about a day or two without activity in the discussion, it gets archived and can no longer be accessed.  This is what had prompted me to log in another discussion/ticket to only go through the same thing and to only receive the same response as before.  In that forum as well as this one, there were several people that responded with the same issues yet MLB.TV apparently does not want to address/fix the problem.  It has been over 6 months since my initial complaint to them and still no resolution.  In all honesty, I gave up and have just resolved to using my Apple TV or other devices to stream the games.  I did ask them, however, to remove the TV(s) for the compatability list and after my last look, they haven't even done that yet.  Good luck to all.

• 7 months later...
On 4/10/2017 at 9:06 AM, legz22 said:

I just bought an LG 49UH6030 and am having the same issue.  Anyone on here able to get a fix?

The workaround is to rely on a third-party service to stream MLB.TV. Buy a Roku streaming stick or equivalent** and use the MLB.TV app on that platform. That works for me.

** Apple TV, Amazon Fire Stick and others I'm sure.

I was never able to get a fix. I wrote and called MLB.TV and LG and each pointed the finger at the other. I was told by MLB that the app was updated and this would fix the issue but my app on the TV hasn't been updated since maybe 2015 or so. I keep checking for an app update and there is none.

i feel like this has to be an LG TV issue since I can use the app on other smart TVs, computer, tablet, AppleTV all without issues. 

Neither party seems very interested in finding a solution. It has been very frustrating to say the least. I bet a class action lawsuit would get an answer!  The only reason I bought this darn TV was to stream MLB into my work out room which after a year and a half of waiting for a solution, now appears like a futile hope. 

Shame on you LG and MLB.  Tou should both work together to find an solution.  There will not be any product loyalty here in the future.

• Like 1

I was told by LG support that it was a MLB issue last year. Submitted a ticket with LG and told i would hear back in 5 days after they reach out to MLB, no response. Read further articles that LG laid off a majority of their app team, hence dont expect app development . Gave up and use Roku or Xbox one to watch games. Dont recommend LG to friends for apps. 

As the original poster of this topic, I am happy to report that I was able to stream a full game this past Sunday without issues.  Whether this is an isolated experience or not remains to be seen because I haven't attempted since (or before for that matter), but I do know that the app built-in to the TV still has not been updated and is still listed as being the version from May 2015.  This is obviously the same version that I had problems with last year, but just to be safe, I have my AppleTV on standby.  If the issues resume, I will let you know.

Also, I'll agree with DrMagnusCranium that neither party will admit fault.  When this started to happen last year I contacted LG first and they told me it was an MLB.TV issue, then I contacted MLB.TV and they told me it was a LG issues so at that point, I just resorted to other media players, etc to stream the games.

Not the best solution, if you wait to start watching until the game has started and the choose watch from beginning you can watch trouble free. If you turn on the game in the middle innings you can fast forward until you get to point that it is almost live then start watching. 

• 2 weeks later...

Good news! I was having the same issues discussed above. Freezing and restarting every time after about 3-4 of fine live streaming. I had a lengthy Twitter message back and forth with MLBTV support. It eventually ended with them saying LG is aware of the issue and is working to resolve it with the next software update. BUT! They told me to try one last workaround that proved successful for me.

1. Change the input on the TV to "Live TV" even if you don't have any signal/antenna attached to that.

2. From there, browse the LG smart hub to the MLB.TV app and launch a live stream. (From here, the problem was solved for me and I have yet to have a freeze.)

They also added: 3. If you are still seeing issues, remove all HDMI cables connected to the TV and ensure the TV is set to “Live TV” for input.

• Like 1

It's kind of a pain, because I forget about it half the time, but if you start streaming a game for a couple seconds, back out of it, and stream a different game. It won't lock up after that. Then you're free to watch any game live. You have to do this every time you start up the app, though, so it's annoying if you're switching from the baseball app to live tv. 

I also had this problem, ranted to MLB.TV and was very frustrated. I have found a fix that allows live games to be watched with out freezing - the first time you start watching, exit the game in the first couple minutes, before it freezes. It's a nice bonus if there's a quick inning that allows you not to miss anything.  After doing this, I've returned to the game a moments  later, and been able to watch the rest without interruption. Weird I know, it feels like an old Nintendo hidden level trick, but it works for me.  Go Os. 

On 4/21/2017 at 10:41 PM, Pitz said:

Good news! I was having the same issues discussed above. Freezing and restarting every time after about 3-4 of fine live streaming. I had a lengthy Twitter message back and forth with MLBTV support. It eventually ended with them saying LG is aware of the issue and is working to resolve it with the next software update. BUT! They told me to try one last workaround that proved successful for me.

1. Change the input on the TV to "Live TV" even if you don't have any signal/antenna attached to that.

2. From there, browse the LG smart hub to the MLB.TV app and launch a live stream. (From here, the problem was solved for me and I have yet to have a freeze.)

They also added: 3. If you are still seeing issues, remove all HDMI cables connected to the TV and ensure the TV is set to “Live TV” for input.

This really worked.  If you have issues with the MLB app freeezing or restarting your television. Switch to live tv input and then launch the app.  Works perfect after that.  Thanks for the information. Someone needs to let the people at customer service with LG know this.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, signtrucker said:

After owning my LG TV for over 1 year and trying everything to get the MLB app to work, I had given up on using the app. Now I've tried changing the input to live tv and YES IT WORKS FLAWLESSLY NOW!!!! THANK YOU!!!!

You are welcome.  I only learned of this after viewing all these comments.  I spent hours on the phone with LG customer service people on three different days.  I only bought this brand because of the MLB app. I am going to call LG to let them know so hopefully others will be able to watch the app as well. 

• Like 1

I can verify that two of these workaround do in fact work.

1. Set your TV input to "Live TV" before you launch MLB.TV.

--or--

2. Start streaming an MLB.TV game that you don't want to watch. Go back. Stream the game you want to watch.

• 2 weeks later...

The "Live TV" workaround does the trick, thanks! 

I also found that if you stream a live game and rewind it a few seconds then play with the slight lag it works too. Just tell your friends not to spoil the game with texts and turn off the alerts from the At Bat app on your phone. Haha. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

New season and a new problem. The new and updated app will not allow me to select a game to watch. I can see the list of games but clicking on one doesn't do anything. I can also list the available video clips but again cannot launch any.

I have e-mailed MLB.TV support. Anyone else have this problem?