Quantcast

LG webOS 3.0 Information

There are numerous articles on the web saying that LG is bringing webOS 3.0 to its 2016 TV lineup, most likely showcasing it at CES in January. This is good news as LG continues development on webOS. 

The Verge: 

link hidden, please login to view

WebOS 3.0 has a few notable features. You'll be able to split your screen into two different channels at the same time, or one channel and another source like a Blu-ray player. You can also run LG's Music Player app through your speaker setup with the TV turned off, as well as control LG smart appliances using LG's IoTV app.

The software's new standout functions, however, are a trio of "magic" features — LG's stand-in for "smart" — aimed at taking advantage of webOS 3.0's deeper hardware integration. Magic Zoom will let you magnify any portion of the screen without any loss in picture quality, according to LG. The company is also updating its Magic Remote so it can toggle set-top boxes on and off and control DVR functions as well. Magic Mobile Connection is an Apple AirPlay-like feature that lets users stream apps from their smartphone to LG smart TVs. None of those appear all that "magic," but they do bring some unique capabilities to webOS 3.0.

LG is also updating its interface with new Channel Advisor and Channel Plus recommendation features. Similar to TiVo, Channel Advisor will analyze what and how you watch to predict what you'll want to see and suggest upcoming time slots. Channel Plus will mix in broadcast channels with over-the-top streaming into a unified list, to help remove barriers to how viewers consume live and cable TV versus streaming services like Netflix.

ZDNet: 

The company released webOS as open source in the hopes companies like LG would adopt it for commercial products. According to LG it has been developing a major version of webOS for use on its 2016 line of smart TVs.

New features in webOS 3.0 include watching videos from two different sources at the same time. It also supports streaming from smartphones to the TV.

LG is highlighting three features on webOS 3.0 under the "Magic" brand, including Magic Remote, Magic Zoom, and Magic Mobile Connnection. Magic Zoom is intriguing as LG claims TV owners can magnify objects and text without degrading picture quality.

The new smart TVs featuring webOS 3.0 will be launched at the CES next month.

The bad news is the old TV don't get to upgrade.  I, as many others, got stuck with WebOS 1.0.  I don't believe the 2015 TV's will get the 3.0 upgrade neither.  TV companies are so bad at firmware upgrade.  Why don't they just use AndroidTV.  Let Google do all the development.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I can believe I spent $3k on a 2015 4k tv and that it will not be upgradable to v3!!! If it is true, it is the last time I ever buy a LG tv!!

This is how those of us who bought a TV in 2014 felt when WebOS2.0 appeared.  In the end, and I almost literally mean the end of the year (2015) LG released what it seems to call WebOS2 Lite for 2014 models.  It did has 'some' of the WebOS2 elements, but the main improvement really was in reducing the sluggishness of WebOS2.

I would imagine, hardwire requirements/setup allowing, 2015 would eventually get some sort of update, likely in the same way, a 'lite' edition towards the end of the year, but I am just guessing on this.  LG seem (or is that just because I own them) the worst at legacy support, even apples supports it's products for more then 12 months.  I'm not sure about other providers (Sony, Samsung etc), will have to look through their forums, but my guess is they aren't much better.  Ultimately I guess TV are now considered a disposable consumer good, gone are the days where a TV lasted 20 years - I think i've gone through about 5 TVs in about 7 years, so yeh, disposable - and yes, they were all LG, but my next TV won't be.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Since LG has problems upgrading the OS because of hardware restrictions. A hardware upgrade option like a TV box / Multimedia center with magic remote functionality might be the solution. Magic remote connected from TV by USB to the Box.

Might be a solution vs customer expectations / loyalty.

(Amazon Fire TV) still needs Magic remote connectability.

René

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, I will keep my LG 65" (2014) stuck in WebOS2 as long as it lasts, but I am quite dissapointed with the LG regarding the firmware upgrades of the TV. I don't think other TV manufacturers actually do much better. I think, in the end, the best is to have your TV connected to a PC via HDMI or use something like AppleTV or Chomecast. No TV manufacturer will ever beat the variety of possibilities that an external device offers (specially a PC). We have to remember that TVs hardware are shit, so don't expect much out of them.

• 1 month later...

Latest news on WebOS 3.0

LG has confirmed that Freeview Play will be included with the new iteration of its webOS smart TV operating system, webOS 3.0. It means ITV Hub and All 4 catch-up services will be available through LG’s smart TV platform for the first time.

The services will be accessible alongside BBC iPlayer and Demand 5. Video-on-demand services including Netflix, Amazon Video, Now TV and Google Play will also all be available through the platform. Freeview Play will also allow users to scroll backwards and forward by seven days to catch-up on missed programmes, or set recordings for future shows.

Freeview Play will be rolled out on webOS 3.0 devices through June, while the scroll-back TV guide will be available as an update later this year.

link hidden, please login to view

Hi,

I received a software update today. 

My software has changed from 03.10.17 to 03.15.04.

WebOS 3.0 version has changed from 3.1.1-108 (dreadlocks-denali) to 3.1.2-113 (dreadlocks-denali)

Any ideas what changes this brings as I don't see anything of note?

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

My TV 32LH602D got software update to new 04.30.02 sometime back and i realized yesterday that my network hard disk which i would see as a source under Photo & Video / Music is no more shown as source. I can see it as a source on other devices but not on TV. In fact i did try another device DLNA device even that does not show up. Tried to update another version released 04.30.15 but still no luck... is anything broken.   

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone

Was looking for some answers about my newly  (just before christmas) purchased 49LF590V-ZA and i see there is a Software update to 03.15.25, present version is 03.15.02.

Can anyone tell me where to find my Firmware version ?

• 1 month later...