Quantcast

Notifications

Leo

Hello all,

link hidden, please login to view

After reading this and researched several times through the API, DOCs etc i want to be sure that you cannot create an application and generate notification messages to the user?

I want to display something to the user with like "toast" message. 

Thanks in advance. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By News Reporter
      This tip is only for HP TouchPads running webOS 3.0.5
      While
      link hidden, please login to view have always been a hallmark feature of webOS, the ability to was a great enhancement because it allowed you to do things like view and dismiss one email at a time instead of all the new emails that recently arrived. Unfortunately, you still needed to view the email notifications in the order they arrived so there was no way to keep a notification in the dashboard while still moving to the next email. Your only choices were to leave all the remaining notifications in the dashboard, dismiss one email notification, or dismiss them all. But, as is another hallmark feature of webOS, the homebrew community created a nice workaround for this issue. If you install the Cycle Email Notifications patch by GMMan, available in Preware or webOS Quick Install, your email notifications will automatically scroll from one message to the next every 5 seconds or so. They will cycle while you are working on the TouchPad, in exhibition mode, or even on the lockscreen. While it may take a little bit of time if you have a lot of notifications, this will at least allow you to keep or dismiss only the email notifications you want.

• By News Reporter
      A strong part of the foundational awesomeness of webOS is the
      link hidden, please login to view. Early on it consisted of a notifications bar that would pop up at the bottom of the screen on our Pre and Pixi smartphones and with individually-dismissable notifications. With webOS 3.0 on the TouchPad the notifications were moved to a slot in the top bar (no sense in taking up the entire bottom on a screen as big as the one on the TouchPad) and gained the ability to from one app. The only problem with the system (there are ways it can be improved, mind you, but this is more of an "" than "") was that once you had dismissed a notification, there was no record it was ever there. The slip of a clumsy thumb and *poof*, it's gone, never to be seen again. Or your phone is restarted - something that's not entirely uncommon with webOS - and again, your notifications are gone. There's no way to get around the desire to say "I'll get back to that later, go away," because if you swipe it away, there's no longer a reminder that you need to take care of it.
      A huge problem? Not necessarily, but an annoyance nonetheless, and occasionally a frustrating case of "I'm sorry, I missed that *grumblestupidphonegrumble*". There was a period of time where I used to reboot my Pre every night for stability, until I became too annoyed by the fact that notifications of emails or Twitter mentions or the like were gone come morning (I had it set to reboot the phone at 4 am - it's very rare I was still awake at that hour).
      The solution? Badged app icons in the launcher. Yes, I'm proposing directly ripping off iOS here. webOS already has badging built in, at least in a sense - expanded dashboard notification icons get badged with numbers all the time. But the app icon itself? Nope. In practice, it'd be a relatively simple affair, enabled through each app's settings. Show notification icon badge? Yes/No. I'd also suggest the ability to select a color for badging; I'd prefer badging on my missed phone calls/voicemails and alerts from Calendar be more attention-grabbing than, say, how many unread stories I have in my news reader.
      Have your own thoughts on this or any other entry? We'd be disappointed if you didn't. That's why we have the comments, it's your place to say how incredibly right (or horribly wrong) we are, plus there's a poll! And we have little doubt you have your own ideas as to what ought be on the webOS wish list, and so where awesome webOS dreaming is the order of the day.

• By News Reporter
      There's a lot of goodness happening with
      link hidden, please login to view, but the user-facing features are just scratching the surface. webOS developer ScienceApps has been around the block a few times, including popular apps like and . With LunaCE, ScienceApps is amping up Starter, fixing one of our biggest complaints with the app. The cool part about Starter is that it could launch multiple apps at once. The not-so-cool part was a limitation of webOS 3.x: those apps would all launch as separated cards, even if it would make sense to launch them in a stack. Starter users with LunaCE installed, however, can expect to now be able to launch multiple apps directly into a stack. The feature makes Starter, in our not so humble opinion, eminently more useful. Now you can set up a multiple app launching sequence of, for example, Facebook, Twitter, Messaging apps, all in one neat little 'communicate with your friends' stack instead of having them spread out and needing to manually regroup them on every launch. Video after the break.
      Starter isn't the only ScienceApps app getting the LunaCE treatment. The developer is currently working on an update to that will take advantage of the in LunaCE, finally allowing the TouchPad to display larger-size dashboard notifications of your news stories. The LunaCE-enabled version of Lithium News is still a work in progress, but we're looking forward to its release.
      , though interested users can install it as always via Preware, so long as you've enabled the beta feeds (check out for info on how to do that). ScienceApps is one of the first developers to take advantage of what LunaCE has to offer, and we hope more webOS app developers will follow down their path. Not all TouchPad users are going to install LunaCE, in fact we'd wager a relatively small portion even know of its existence, but for those that are taking the extra step of pimping out their TouchPad with the help of , there's more goodness to come.

• By News Reporter
      Here recently we have kept all of our readers up to speed on the cool new features being added to
      link hidden, please login to view by various webOS developers across the interwebs. So far we've witnessed , (for our many friends overseas). Well the fun is far from over as developer Eric Blade of fame has delivered yet another cool addition to webOS Community Edition! It seems that Eric has tweaked our already awesome notification area to make it even better in the form of bigger notifications. This is beneficial not only to developers but also to users. You see, some apps could benefit greatly from more real estate in the notification area so that they may provide a broader spectrum of controls. As Eric shows us with the picture included in this article his app GVoice has already benefited from the extra area with the callers full name and  buttons for call back and send message. We could also see that this modification to the notification area could be a huge help for a bunch of apps. Case in point, an app like could accomplish some pretty amazing things like adding or removing a song from a playlist from within the notification area. Everything from games to Twitter apps could really leverage this to their advantage.
      In the end we are happy to see so many of our developers roll up their sleeves and add their contributions to webOS Community Edition. We can only imagine what kind of wizardry is on the horizon as it seems that some cool new feature is being added daily. HP has given our community a unique opportunity here and we'd have to say that the webOS community has capitalized on it thus far!

• Similar Tagged Content