Quantcast

Annoying persistent AV popup

Julio Henrique Morimoto

Question

I've had an LG 47LB6500 for about five months now. I love the TV and it's great. Except one thing that I find irritating is a constant AV input popup that keeps reappearing over, and over, and over.

While watching any content from any input, the popup appears.

link hidden, please login to view

The only device plugged to the TV is an HDMI Sky HDTV Set Top Box, and there is nothing plugged into any AV input. WebOS seems to enter some variable loop, displaying several of these popups in sequence. Often, the number of popups is such, that the TV will freeze trying to show all of them. I can only assume a lot of its CPU is being used to render them. The TV will become unresponsive until all popups disappear. The annoyance may last a couple of minutes, but it happens everytime the TV is turned back on.

From the input configuration screen, I can see the AV input is active. .

Once it's removed, the popups are gone. But once the TV is turned off and back on, WebOS will scan for devices and these empty AV inputs are back on the list... and the parade of popups will follow.

As a user, I have to consder this a bug. And it's a very irritating one. These popups cover subtitles and seem to show up minutes after the TV is turned on. Please provide a fix with a firmware update or, at least, provide a workaround to make it stop.

Kind regards!

Julio

26 answers to this question

I've had an LG 47LB6500 for about five months now. I love the TV and it's great. Except one thing that I find irritating is a constant AV input popup that keeps reappearing over, and over, and over.

While watching any content from any input, the popup appears.

link hidden, please login to view

The only device plugged to the TV is an HDMI Sky HDTV Set Top Box, and there is nothing plugged into any AV input. WebOS seems to enter some variable loop, displaying several of these popups in sequence. Often, the number of popups is such, that the TV will freeze trying to show all of them. I can only assume a lot of its CPU is being used to render them. The TV will become unresponsive until all popups disappear. The annoyance may last a couple of minutes, but it happens everytime the TV is turned back on.

From the input configuration screen, I can see the AV input is active. .

Once it's removed, the popups are gone. But once the TV is turned off and back on, WebOS will scan for devices and these empty AV inputs are back on the list... and the parade of popups will follow.

As a user, I have to consder this a bug. And it's a very irritating one. These popups cover subtitles and seem to show up minutes after the TV is turned on. Please provide a fix with a firmware update or, at least, provide a workaround to make it stop.

Kind regards!

Julio

Go into your Sky box settings then picture and switch HDMI control off and see if that helps.

Go into your Sky box settings then picture and switch HDMI control off and see if that helps.

There is no such option in the Sky box configuration. Not that I can find. There is an option in the TV settings to control the Sky decoder from the LG universal remote, but that's also disabled.

Also, regarding Keith Flavell's post, Simplink is already turned off. Turning it on or off makes no difference.

There is no such option in the Sky box configuration. Not that I can find. There is an option in the TV settings to control the Sky decoder from the LG universal remote, but that's also disabled.

Also, regarding Keith Flavell's post, Simplink is already turned off. Turning it on or off makes no difference.

You must have an older Sky box then.

Have you tried another HDMI source to eliminate the the Sky box from the equation?

Or a factory reset of the TV?

I've been getting this for ages now too :( I have an Apple TV 3 and an Xbox One connected to hdmi 1 and 2 respectively. Nothing else attached but the AV2 pop up repeatedly flashes on screen. Removing it from the launcher stops it until I turn the tv off and back on.

No simplink etc.

You must have an older Sky box then.

Have you tried another HDMI source to eliminate the the Sky box from the equation?

Or a factory reset of the TV?

Yes, I did this today. I did a factory reset and reconfigured the TV for Internet access.

In fact, I plugged off the Sky box and connected an USB external hard drive with a couple of movies. After a few minutes playing movie from the USB drive, popups once again reappear.

It's good to note that at this point, there is nothing else connected to the TV except for the USB external hard drive. There is no signal from any HDMI or AVI input. But, popups still appear as if something has been plugged into the AV input.

Anyway, I really appreciate the time. Thanks everyone. But I guess I'll be stuck with these popups for a while.

Yes, I did this today. I did a factory reset and reconfigured the TV for Internet access.

In fact, I plugged off the Sky box and connected an USB external hard drive with a couple of movies. After a few minutes playing movie from the USB drive, popups once again reappear.

It's good to note that at this point, there is nothing else connected to the TV except for the USB external hard drive. There is no signal from any HDMI or AVI input. But, popups still appear as if something has been plugged into the AV input.

Anyway, I really appreciate the time. Thanks everyone. But I guess I'll be stuck with these popups for a while.

Then I would raise this issue with LG customer support as it sounds like you have a faulty TV as opposed to operating system.

I bounced some emails back and forth to LG support, who suggested cleaning the ports and resetting the tv. They are now sending out an engineer on Monday. If it can be fixed there and then great, if they need to take it away I assume I can make a complaint and request a refund or something, as being left without a tv simply won't be acceptable. Mines a 50LB650V by the way.

LG customer support called me today. They said the repair would take up to 14 days, minimum of 8 days. They don't leave a TV as a replacement. I consider this completely unacceptable (it's my only television!) so I'll be trying to get a refund and changing to a different TV.

But in my case, when the issue is happening, in "Input menú" i can see how my home cinema (HDMI1-ARC) is switching ON-OFF all the time. Do you think maybe is problem of my Home Cinema? Is an AVR Pionner, on my old LG TV worked flawless!!!!

Glad to post an update.

I managed to take my unit to a local LG tech support, and got it fixed under warranty without any costs. After a week in the shop, I finally got it back and the result was the same as millski's.

A faulty main board causes the AV input to short circuit. I had a brief talk with their technician, and he told me their diagnosis tool kept indicating the AV input was always ON, even though there is nothing connected to it. They replaced the main board and it's back to normal. Been watching it for a couple of hours now and no popups have come up at all.

Thank you all for the feedback. I hope this thread helps other people with the same issue.

• Like 1

I have the same issue on my 50" and I'm sure it's out of warranty, but it should be a firmware update I would think, or at least a recall. Mine only seems to do it when something is plugged into the HDMI ports and are on.  I have to unplug my Roku from the HDMI, then the pop ups seem to stop.

My TV was a display model - it had annoying popups on the screen after 1 minute of turning on the TV.  

I noticed it was on store mode (as in, display in the store/shop mode) 

go to settings > option > scroll down to mode setting and check if it is 'store' or 'home' mode > change to home mode

popups vanish forever

enjoy!

• Like 1

I have also had this annoying problem, having just seen this solution I plugged my SSD back into the USB port, no recordings scheduled anyway as they only allow for 500 and I have reached the limit, I need to remove the drive and recreate the folder having saved the original first, a real pain.