Quantcast

webOS 2015 backwards support to LG 2014 smart tv`s with dual core

I base my question upon the press release from LG that they will launch a brand new webOS for their 2015 smart tv line of products, see

link hidden, please login to view

Not much is revealed in that press relase of requirements, like processor  requirements, type of tv model supported and so on.

A natural question would be, will it be backward compatible with year model 2014 TV`s and will we see the ability for a free update, eg. for the dual core based smart tv LB670 series.

So please, in this thread you can post updated information of further detail of what will be the requirements.

/hardimpct

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Consider this information as legit. There is a firmware upgrade expected by Aug-Sep. If your TV runs on WebOS 1.0, you can very well get an upgrade to the latest version. Now let me make it very clear  here...its not going to be the exact upgrade as you see on the 2015 line up. But this upgrade can give you better booting speed as well as interface changes.

Yeah you are welcome ;)

Thanks to spacemonkey for this positive update.

From the press release we can read:

"LG also announced that its 2014 webOS-enabled Smart TVs will enjoy a free software update on September 21, allowing current webOS 1.0 users to experience the improved webOS 2.0 platform introduced on 2015 models without having to purchase new hardware.

LG's 2014 Smart TV series that will receive the update are: LB6300, LB6500, LB7100, LB7200, UB8500, UB9200, UB9300, UB9500, UB9800, EC9300, EC9700 and EG9700"

• 2 years later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.