Quantcast

PreCentral: Nexus 4 gains Touchstone charging thanks to clever hacking

Nexus 4 gains Touchstone charging care of clever hacking

I recently added a LG Nexus 4 to my smartphone rotation, and yes, that's an Android device. It's a nicely-designed phone and feels good in the hand, and as an added bonus to an old school Palm aficionado like myself, comes with built-in wireless charging in the form of Qi. For those unfamiliar, Qi is similar to Touchstone in that it's an inductive charging system, except that it's a standard that multiple manufacturers support with an array of cross-compatible devices and chargers.

There's just one problem with Qi: there are no magnets for alignment and traction. Also, Qi isn't compatible with Touchstone, so I've now got four mobile device chargers going at once on my desk: phone Touchstone,

link hidden, please login to view
, , a new , and a Micro USB cable for all my devices not fortunate enough to be graced with wireless charging or a dock. As a Palm fan, that Nexus 4 Wireless Charger has been a particular point of contention for me , no matter how much I clean the back of the phone and the top of the charger (as the comments in my post on Android Central indicate, not everybody has this issue with the Nexus 4 Wireless Charger, but I'm also not alone in my problems).

Enter , a man that's no stranger to the webOS community as the chief of . Whitby's also a man that loves to tinker, and he's taken to adding Touchstone charging to a wide range of devices, including an audacious hack that .

Like me, Whitby was disappointed by the design of the Nexus 4 Wireless Charger (though, he has yet to get his hands on one, being in Australia and all). And being Rod Whitby, he took matters into his own hands and rather quickly opened up the back of the Nexus 4 and hacked in a Touchstone coil. What came out at the end he describes as "the world's first mult-wireless-charging phone," as the larger Qi coil still works with the Touchstone coil layered on top of it. Whitby reports that everything fit back together and that the phone is "fully operational". Additionally, in his testing the Touchstone charger seems to charge his Nexus 4 "significantly faster" than the Qi charger he has on hand.

While the phone can now charge from three different sources - Micro USB, Qi, and Touchstone - there's still work to be done. In particular, Whitby still needs to solve for this Touchstone hack the problem that afflicts the Nexus 4 Wireless Charger: he currently has the Touchstone coil installed but nothing to hold the Nexus 4 in place on the Touchstone charger. There are two options: install metal discs in the back of the Nexus 4 (Palm and HP webOS smartphones have metal discs that are drawn to ), or if that's not enough to keep the phone in place through its glass back, then small magnetic discs will be the order of the day.

So there you have it: even on a phone that's over a year removed from the last webOS devices and using the latest Qi wireless standards, the old standby Touchstone inductive charging system offers faster charging and a better user experience. It's one of the little things we're going to be able to crow about for years to come.

mf.gif

a2t.imgudbyN6702KY

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Packrat
      Hi,
      The SmartShare (on win10) using the Video Player work great!!! Thanks to the LG+WebOS team.
      Seems the Video player app doesn't support the full srt "standard".
      If there is better place to post or file bugreports please let me know.
      I was watching a mkv with a srt and that works great but it seems that some of the SRT codes are not implemented.
      Could support be added, or alternately just drop the codes so they don't show up on screen? ( Open curly "a" and a number and close curly bracket)
        {\a3} Details are below.
      Thanks
      Frank
      -------snip snip----------------
      WebOS: 05.10.25 (or tv fw?)
      TV: 65UM7300AUE NA model (please keep making real 4K IPS screens)
      SmartShare V2.3.1712.1201
      Reference for SRT codes:

link hidden, please login to view   {\a3} (indicates that the text should start appearing on line 3)
    • By pivotCE
      I finally put a touchstone in my car. For those counting at home (minus my almost two year departure from webOS to Android), it took me 3 years to work up the chutzpah to try the install. But I did it. What took me so long? I’m glad you asked.

Why now?
      You’ve seen it done a lot I’m sure.
      link hidden, please login to view. But something always bothered me about the installs I’d seen. There were too many wires, the Touchstone was glued or stuck onto the dash using adhesive, and I always thought using the cigarette lighter (12V socket), or worse, a 3-prong power inverter was ugly (and kinda lazy). What kept me from installing one in my car was that I told myself if I was ever going to do it, it had to follow 3 rules:
      1. No wires! It had to be clean.
      2. It had to be modular. I might want to sell the car but keep the Touchstone set-up.
      3. It must be powered from the car’s battery or fuse box.
      The problem was, I didn’t know where to begin.
      The research
      I knew adding power to the car was possible from stuff I’d read online. But everyone made it look so simple and I’m a car-wiring n00b. So I did what every online-savvy I-want-to-learn-something-new person does, YouTube. This video will teach you the fundamentals of installing an Add-A-Fuse or Expandable Circuit as it’s called in the video.

The other important thing to know in all of this is how to splice cables. With my time as a musician and tech hobbyist, splicing cables is pretty standard stuff. I did have to read up on splicing the USB cable that I wanted to use to ensure I could hide the cable. Google was my friend.
      What I used to do it
      The parts I ordered:
       (I actually got these from AutoZone, link for example only)  (the item here now looks a little different than it did when I bought it) The tools I used:
      Solder/Soldering Iron Wire cutter/stripper Ratchet set Heat shrink Trouble spots
      I ordered the Add-A-Fuse twice. I also ordered the Hardwire Barewire twice. Why? Because I never truly had it all grounded properly to begin with and I thought my parts were broken. I ordered new parts. And unsurprisingly, those didn’t work either. Until I tried a different spot for the ground that followed the instructions for bare metal in the video. Tada! Power.
      I originally used electrical tape, the crimp joint that comes on the Add-A-Fuse, and left the ground wire bare. These are all areas that are recipes for disaster in a vibrating car. To overcome those areas, I opted to solder each splice and add heat shrink over it. I even coated the bare ground wire in solder to get a better connection behind the bare metal bolt.
      Getting the USB cable through the holder was a pain. I tried carving with a knife, using a small dremel cutting wheel, and then finally opted to melt my way in there with the soldering iron. Don’t judge me. It worked.
      Super quick summary on how I got power
      Cut USB ends off Barewire and USB angled cable, soldered and heat shrinked together Stripped loose wire end of Barewire back, snipped off crimp connector and stripped Add-A-Fuse wire back, soldered and heat shrinked positive leads (red wires) together Added solder to ground wire from Barewire and secured it to the bare metal bolt Found a switchable fuse port in the fuse box of my car and bare metal bolt for ground Popped out the fuse, installed that fuse into the Add-A-Fuse, installed a 5 amp fuse into the second port of the Add-A-Fuse and plugged it into the port in my fuse box Plugged the USB cable into my touchstone and started my car. IT’S ALIVE! Photo Gallery
      Each photo has my notes as well. Enjoy.

#webosforever

• By ajmboy
      I have 4 palm touchstone charger docks, 2 in my house, one in the office, and one in my car. I bought my wife a plam pixi pink touchstone back cover. I have a palm pixi plus black cover for my touchstone. Works very well, and one of teh things I always liked. I set it down various times during the course of the day and when driving it sits on it in my car. The battery is always charged. I use the hell out of my phone for work, so the battery can drain pretty quickly. I also check email all teh time and have it hooked to 6 email accounts with instant push for emails on. All pop accounts and one exchange account. Plus browsing online, the touchstone charging docks have been a huge help in keeping my battery up daily.
    • By News Reporter
      As if the
      link hidden, please login to view wasn't enough, has announced a new porting project: Open webOS on the Google Nexus 7. The built by Asus was the premiere launch devices for Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, and thanks to , it is the perfect fit for WebOS Ports's next porting adventure. Seeing how much we loved the small seven-inch TouchPad Go, it's no surprise that the equally small Nexus 7 tablet was on the radar of WebOS Ports. Though larger, the 1280x800 screen on the Nexus 7 is close enough in pixel dimensions to , so a lot of the work put into the smartphone project could be easily translated to the Nexus 7.
      How easy? This work was led by WebOS Ports's over the course of about a week while he was on winter break from college. The port was accomplished with the Galaxy Nexus project in conjunction with , created by (an engineer at , though he also leads , which grew out of Sailfish ancestors Maemo and Meego), a library that allows for "bionic-based [Android] hardware adaptations in glibc systems", in essence making it easier to translate between the designed-for-Android hardware and like the . This means that with LibHybris the WebOS Ports team won't have to write drivers from scratch for different Android-based devices they might wish to attack. In addition to LibHybris, the Nexus 7 leverages the work of those involved in Merproject, , and .
      A video of the port in action is after the break, and as an early alpha we're rather impressed. Open webOS on the Nexus 7 runs generally smoothly (there's some intermittent and infrequent lag, which isn't anything too surprising at this stage) and has improved considerably from our last look at Open webOS on the Galaxy Nexus. In addition there's now an -based Settings app that allows you to toy with things like the Wi-Fi and brightness settings and the new app (also Enyo 2 based). The port also supports the classic webOS tablet keyboard, the , and forward-swipe-driven screen rotation. Essentially, it's like webOS on the TouchPad Go, except on the slimmer, lighter, faster, newer Nexus 7 and more open source-y.
      Oh, and did we mention that it runs untethered now? Yeah, it does that. Being able to use Open webOS on the device without being is a big deal, and we're really quite psyched to see that happen. You still have to boot from a desktop, but after that you can unplug the cable and get on with the webOSing.
      The Nexus 7 Open webOS port is still in its early stages, but thanks to the work done on the Galaxy Nexus port it's come a long way in a relatively short time. We're looking forward to what's coming next.

• By News Reporter
      Over the years we've witnessed dear friend and webOS hacking guru
      link hidden, please login to view of WebOS Internals fame perform all types of webOS hackery. From the infamous to while trying to find out what makes Touch to Share tick, Whitby has had his hand in projects most of us would never dare to go. One of his most recent passions has been to perform Touchstone mods on all manner of devices, but this time he has definitely topped even the coolest of Touchstone mods with his absurd Nexus 7 project.  Using two Touchstone charging coils and two Touchstone dock pucks  - two - Whitby has successfully completed a project that will have you charging your Nexus 7 with the ease of wireless charging. Charging can be done via one or two Touchstone chargers but only using one will result in a slow trickle charge that would be fine for charging over night but not for much else. If you want a good normal charge you will need two phone Touchstone chargers working in tandem to get the job done. Granted this isn't the most ideal manner of wireless charging, but it's a start (and a damn cool one if we say so ourselves). In the future, Whitny plans on attempting a follow-up surgery making use of the larger and more powerful (not to mention tablet-intended) TouchPad Touchstone dock.
      Is this something we would perform? Probably not. Whitby's put together some impressive documentation to guide any brace souls through the process, but it's a bit too intense for us (and likely all but the most daring hardware hackers). In the meantime, a round of applause to Mr. Rod Whitby for an impressive job well done and for keeping those of us that have been following this project's progress thoroughly entertained over the past few week.