Quantcast

PreCentral: Key members of Enyo team quitting HP, moving to Google [Updated with statement from HP]

WP Central

Update: webOS Nation has just received the following statement from HP:

"We’re pleased with the traction Enyo has gained to date and plan to continue its development along with the open source community. The Open webOS project is on schedule and we remain committed to the roadmap announced in January.”

Key members of HP's Enyo team have reportedly just quit the company and left to set up shop over at Google. While initial rumors made it sound like it might be the entire team, webOS Nation's own sources indicate that this will move less than half of the team. It will, however, include Matt McNulty, the Senior Director of Frameworks and Tools.

As to what this means for webOS, well... what would it mean for Apple if the entire iOS application framework group jumped over to RIM, or if the entire Android dev team did a walk in over at Nokia?

In other words -- nothing good.

To be successful, operating systems need to be platforms, platforms need apps, apps need developers, developers need a framework to make apps, and that framework needs a strong, smart, passionate, engaged team behind it. If these rumors turn out to be true, in whole or even in part, webOS' struggle has just become that much more difficult. Again.

Now Enyo might well still be on track, and Enyo isn't the only way to develop for webOS, but it's the first party framework, and that makes it important.

link hidden, please login to view
 and while no doubt work has already been done on the next beta, and on the release version, it's hard to imagine a large scale defection wouldn't cause problems and delays.

As to what the Enyo team might do over at Google, well hooking back up with , who designed the original Pre user interface for Palm and now does that same job for , is an easy guess. Google's a web services powerhouse, however, and Enyo is a cutting edge web technology framework, so the sky's very literally the limit.

Google's made a serious effort to improve not only the look but the user experience of everything from their web sites to their smartphone apps lately, and there's still Chrome and ChromeOS to consider. A team of skilled web framework developers could go a long way towards furthering all of those goals.

But Enyo and webOS are commited to being open source projects now, and they're bigger than any one person or group of people. 

This is still a developing story, and we're tracking it in the , so head on over there for more.

Source: 

mf.gif

a2t.imgvKUvRKgXI30

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Mario Futire
      Hi I have a LG Smart TV (OLED55B16LA) and started using the recording feature.
      I would like to replace the USB HDD with a bigger one, so I have copied all the files from the old one to the new one.
      But when I put the new one in the TV it does not recognise it as a recording, it lets me browse the content. but of course being scrambled it is pointless.
      Is it possible to move all the recordings to a different disk and use it in the same TV?
      Cheers
    • By News Reporter
      New Company to Fuse Magna’s and LG’s Electric Powertrain
      Strengths to Accelerate E-Drive Component Development

SEOUL, South Korea and AURORA, Ontario, Canada, July 28, 2021 – LG Electronics (LG) and Magna International Inc. (Magna) today signed the transaction agreement which establishes a joint venture between the two companies. The new company, to be called LG Magna e-Powertrain, is headquartered in Incheon, South Korea and will be led by a strong management team.
      Leading the new company will be CEO
      link hidden, please login to view, a 20-year LG veteran who was most recently vice president and head of the LG Vehicle component Solutions Company’s Green Business. Prior to LG, Cheong spent nearly a decade with Daewoo Motors R&D. , who has been with Magna since 2016, will be the new company’s COO. He will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the joint venture. Perez brings nearly a quarter century of automotive manufacturing and quality control experience to LG Magna e-Powertrain, 18 of those years based in Asia.
      The creation of the joint venture unifies Magna’s strength in electric powertrain systems and world-class automotive manufacturing with LG’s expertise in component development for e-motors and inverters. Announcing LG Magna e-Powertrain’s executive team marks a key milestone for the joint venture company, which will manufacture e-motors, inverters and on-board chargers and, for certain automakers, related e-drive systems.
      The design, engineering and manufacturing synergies created by LG Magna e-Powertrain is expected to enable both companies to quickly react to market trends and capitalize on the growing global shift toward vehicle electrification. The new company will develop powertrain components that offer automakers a scalable portfolio, from complete solutions enabling electrification and functionality to integrating intelligent operating software and controls in new e-drive systems.
      “Partnering with Magna enables LG to scale up its global production, provide additional business opportunities and offer synergies in procurement and technological innovation,” said CEO Cheong. “The integrated and collaborative approach is expected to deliver quickly for customers and capitalize on the rapid growth of the worldwide electric powertrain market.”
      “The market for e-motors, inverters and electric drive systems is expected to have significant growth between now and 2030. Our joint venture company brings together experts from Magna and LG to deliver a world-class portfolio of electric solutions,” said COO Perez. “Leveraging existing technologies, engineering capabilities and global footprints, LG Magna e-Powertrain seeks to enable advancements that help automakers achieve some of the biggest challenges ahead in electrifying their full vehicle lineups.”
      LG Magna e-Powertrain will be made up of more than 1,000 employees in the United States, South Korea and China.
      # # #

• By Cho Chi
      I've downloaded WebOS SDK with LG emulator for VirtualBox (
      link hidden, please login to view) and trying to run default enyo project in it (). The native project works fine, but enyo project works fine only in browser. Enyo project gives me black screen in LG emulator. Can you help me to start it on WebOS emulator ?
    • By lou cuerdo
      LG TV MODEL   = 65UF850T-TB
      problem: when i watch youtube and local tv or cable tv the SCREEN is always moving...

• By Alba
      Hello there,
      I am struggling at the moment with our brand new smart tv which we took brand new and never opened with us when we shifted from Dubai to New Zealand.
      I can't get to the content store to download netflix, I only see Premium with 4 options (amazon, al jazeera and 2 orhers). I tried changing the location on the settings but I can only chose from the Middle East and Africa and when I try I get no change whatsoever to the options on premium.
      This is highly frustrating as we moved to a new house and were hoping to watch tv straight away, specially with kids. Any help would be truly appreciated.